What if. . .

Catman

Avenger
Reaction score
According to Sam Hamm and Tim Burton on the Batman Returns DVD, they wanted Catwoman and WB wanted Penguin. So, they compromised and used both.

WHAT IF the studio had said, "do what you want," and allowed Burton to only use Catwoman. How different do you think Batman Returns would have been with only Catwoman (and maybe Max Schrek) as the villain?

Catwoman as one villian wouldn't work I don't see how would that work. I can understand Joker been done but Catwoman? No I'm glad that The Penguin was used.

Its not a question of whether or not it would have worked but if Burton would have only used Catwoman what would have Batman Returns had been like? Obviously Catwoman had to share screen time with Penguin. If it would have only been her how would have they expanded on her role? Maybe flashbacks or something? Maybe a longer date scene with Bruce Wayne.

Well if Catwoman would have been the only villian the Burton haters would have one less thing to bash. But I loved Danny Devitos portrayl as The Penguin so I'm glad he was included. :up:

Batattack said:
Well if Catwoman would have been the only villian the Burton haters would have one less thing to bash. But I loved Danny Devitos portrayl as The Penguin so I'm glad he was included. :up:
yeah, lol, agreed. :up:

DeVito rocked as The Penguin. A truly evil and yet sympathetic villain too. I too am glad he was included in the movie as he echoed a strong theme in it.

I think that if Burton only used Catwoman we may have seen a more psychological story.

If that happened there wouldn't be a villain. I don't really see Catwoman as a pure villain.

Less of a "whole city in danger.... again!" plot and more of a mystery/drama as Batman faced off with Catwoman, trying to figure out who was behind the mask and sort out his feelings on her. Could have been interesting.

lordofthenerds said:
If that happened there wouldn't be a villain. I don't really see Catwoman as a pure villain.

Max Schrek would have been the villain. He is, after all, the one who pushed Selina from a 50-story building and caused the creation of Catwoman.

Actually, if they had let Burton do what he wanted, we would have Catwoman in essentially the same role she was in, and Harvey Dent would have replaced Max Schrek, with him becoming Two Face at the end from her electrocuting him. So Dent going insane/evil would have been the villain.

Catwoman was the best thing in Batman Returns, but The Penguin would be necessary if you wanted to look at the film as it all happening in Batman's head.

The Joker said:
Actually, if they had let Burton do what he wanted, we would have Catwoman in essentially the same role she was in, and Harvey Dent would have replaced Max Schrek, with him becoming Two Face at the end from her electrocuting him. So Dent going insane/evil would have been the villain.

Thats true. But, would Harvey has survived Daniel Waters' re-writers. He sure didn't in what we actually got.

Catman said:
According to Sam Hamm and Tim Burton on the Batman Returns DVD, they wanted Catwoman and WB wanted Penguin. So, they compromised and used both.

WHAT IF the studio had said, "do what you want," and allowed Burton to only use Catwoman. How different do you think Batman Returns would have been with only Catwoman (and maybe Max Schrek) as the villain?

Max Sreck running for mayor and Shreck in charge of the Red Triangle Cirvus gang.

I hate Batman Returns' Max Shreck that he suppose to be Harvey Dent and Burton left him out. least in BB he wasn't there but he returns in TDK with a respect to the character hopefully.

Apparently Max Shreck went from possibly being revealed in the course of the movie as The Penguin's brother.
To being the guy who essentially caused the creation of Catwoman.

Personally, I am glad The Penguin was incorporated into the sequel. BR may or may not have been a more psychological film if the Penguin wasnt included. But Devito's performance was awesome, and I would definately rather have seen his performance in BR than not. Ultimately, I dont think excluding The Penguin would have made the movie any better. If anything, I believe Burton's interpretation of Oswald, and Devito's performance did nothing but help the film overall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"