What Was the Last Movie You Watched?

Status
Not open for further replies.
MV5BOWExYzVlZDgtY2E1ZS00NTFjLWFmZWItZjI2NWY5ZWJiNTE4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTA3MTA4Mzgw._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,666,1000_AL_.jpg

Underwater

tumblr_pwijwh7XbN1ug2uiho2_640.gifv

Fun way to kickoff the new year. Kristen Stewart was solid, wouldn't mind seeing her in more B-movies.

8/10

THE WORD (1978) starring David Janssen, James Whitmore, Nicol Willimson.

This was originally an 8 hour miniseries. As far as I can tell, this version was shown once and never seen again. It wasn't released on tape. It was apparently cut to 6 hours and syndicated to different stations. As far as I can tell, unless someone taped this off if TV, it doesn't exist any more. The version I watched here is from a 3 hour VHS tape sold commercially a few decades ago. I bought it and transferred it to DVD around 20 years ago. If you check the IMDB page for it, and then watch this version....half the actors listed do not appear at all. Many others show up for one or two minutes or less.

The story is - an ancient papyrus is found that says it is written by Jesus's brother, and it claims that Jesus didn't die on the cross at age 33, but lived quietly for another 25 years. This follows the investigation of it, where some want it to be proven true and others that believe it to be false. For those that want to know -
Janssen's character finds a man who says that he created it to destroy Christianity. He explains how he was screwed over by a priest, and then decided to destroy he Christian church, so he spent years stealing pieces of papyrus from the time period of Christ, was able to reproduce ancient inks, and wrote the story. Janssen's character is unable to convince others of this man's story, because that guy is killed before it can be collaborated. The tape I watched ended with the "New" New Testament being released to great fanfare and a resurgence in popularity of the church instead of it's destruction.
MV5BZTQ0ODBjMjQtMmEwNS00YTIyLThkMDctYTU2ZTA2NWRkNjMwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTk2NTU0Nzg@._V1_.jpg

Bending the Rules (2012)
Her Stolen Past (2018)

ZeINnii.jpg

Bad Boys for Life

Mostly enjoyed it for what it's trying to do. While it doesn't reach the heights of the last two films in terms of Michael Bay action, it amps up a better story with better villains than the last two and gives a Fast and Furious style treatment in world building. They also keep what works and that is the comradery between Will Smith and Martin Lawrence and you do see an evolution of these characters. Overall, It's mostly a solid sequel and I am curious to see where they go from here.
3/5

N431oQR.jpg

A Fall From Grace

Utter enjoyable trash. I don't think I've ever seen something so poorly made and cheap from someone who's got big money to produce. It's Tyler Perry at his lowest creatively which isn't saying much to begin with. There's a lot of mistakes just from a filming point of view. The story is down right laughable. The unintentional humor is what keeps this from being totally unwatchable. Overall, this film makes his other movies look like masterpieces which you didn't know was possible.
0.5/5

F0gS1Wu.jpg

The Turning

This had all the right ingredients except it's missing the biggest one, a competent story (and a ending). I will say it starts off pretty simple enough, they do some decent set up with the characters and it plays out like any other haunted house film. I actually thought the cast was great particularly Mackenzie Davis and Brooklynn Prince and I thought the look of the film was really well done. That being said, the story falls apart quickly and a lot of the jump scares are so lazy and unaffected. What really breaks this movie is what they did with the last act and the lack of an ending. Overall, it's one of the more average horror flicks with a bizarre ending.
2/5

Bad-Boys-3-poster.jpg

Delivered above and beyond what I was hoping for, just balanced and gauged perfectly.

9/10

lpStTDE.jpg

The Gentlemen

A solid return to form for Guy Ritchie. If there's such a thing as a British screwball crime drama that also happens to be slightly meta, it would be this. It gives every actor their moment to shine from Matthew McConaughey to Henry Golding and chew all the scenery. Despite all of that, Hugh Grant manages to stand out and deliver one of the more playful performances. I will say there are some questionable moments and stereotypes that kinda hinder the film, but with the nature of the film, it's easy to overlook it. Overall, it's a fun film.
3/5

Last edited:
H4ttVm9.jpg

Last Christmas

A charming Christmas themed romcom that's got a bit more going on than your usual Hallmark channel movies. Much like Me Before You, Emilia Clarke was solid and her chemistry with Henry Golding worked. I really liked what they did with Emma Thompson and Michelle Yeoh. I also didn't mind all the George Michael themed scenes, they were fine. To me, a lot of the movie felt pretty genuine and as cheesy as it might looked on paper, I thought the ending worked as well. Overall, I enjoyed it.
7/10

cgBfMBw.jpg

I Lost My Body

An incredible feat of self reflection through art and animation. It's essentially about a severed hand finding his way back to his body and the journey to get there. It's a high concept film that becomes incredibly grounded once it lays down the backstory behind the person, Naofel. The film doesn't shy away from more adult themes and real life struggles and they do it in such an imaginative way. The animation is stunning and surprisingly the sound design was really well done. They give a lot of life and emotion to just a single hand and it's incredible to see how simple gestures can tell a story. Overall, It's pretty much a masterpiece and it takes the belt of best animated film of 2019.
10/10

Gretel & Hansel

3251fbca93f1b551720862bfbd2405c579050062.gifv

First big surprise of the year. Hypnotic, bleak and gorgeous fairy tale retelling with a fantastic performance from Alice Krige.

8.5/10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back