What was the last movie you watched? Part 2

Here’s couple of movies I’ve either rewatched for the billionth time or watched for the very first time ever on my two days off from work:

s-l1600.png

s-l960.jpg

The-Flash-Poster-1.jpg

MV5BZGRkOGMxYTUtZTBhYS00NzI3LWEzMDQtOWRhMmNjNjJjMzM4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTMxODk2OTU@._V1_.jpg

The Night Has Eyes (aka Terror House, aka Moonlight Madness ~ 1942)

British, soundstage-bound, gothic horror(ish) mystery, starring James Mason, Joyce Howard, and Wilfrid Lawson. Two young female schoolteachers travel to the Yorkshire Moors where their friend disappeared a year ago. However, as they cross the moors, they soon lose their way in a violent storm. After nearly sinking in the bog they stumble across a mysterious house where they decide to take shelter.

This has those wonderful fog-shrouded sets so prevalent at the time (think The Hound of the Baskerviles). We also get wild, Bronte-type scenery, skeletons in secret chambers, and ominous shots of clouds flitting across the full moon. A young James Mason is at his glowering best, as the tortured loner with a secret; Joyce Howard is at her swooning best, as the heroine who refuses to believe ill of him, and Wilfred Lawson is at his, well, pickled best (he had a notorious drink problem, to the point where it was often written into his parts), as the handyman. It's a stagy melodrama through and through and some of the dialogue is unintentionally funny now, but there's bags of atmosphere and an ending I didn't see coming. 7/10

il_fullxfull.4156527589_j385.jpg

8/10

Enjoyed it a lot, not as good as the first but definitely a film I regret not going to see in the cinema as the visual spender alone would have been worth the extortionate prices. Very much looking forward to the third instalment.

2K1 A Space Odyssey

First time seeing it. I didn't realize until I first saw the few seconds that Barbie parodied this for its teaser trailer.
That's an interesting entry to this classic. I have a similar yet contrary experience of that film. My mom, who knew I loved reading sci-fi books as a kid in mid 70s (even though I sometimes didn't understand everything, since it was often written for more mature readers), once gave me a book she found at a used bookstore called: 2001 (which was the short title over here), which just had a cover with an astronaut pictured above Earth. Of course I thought, lots of cool space development must've happend at 2001 (lol). Let's read this.

I got totally fascinated by it even though it felt a bit much to grasp for a 9-10 yo kid like me, and used to reread it every summer for a few years, keeping it at our sommer house. And then later on in late 70s I got aware that this book was actually the novel that Arthur C. Clarke wrote AFTER making the script to a 60s sci-fi film with the same title. Yeah, things were slower then lol. I just hate that due to work I couldn't visit the showing of this classic at my local cinema the last day of May this spring. Crap..

Last edited:
il_fullxfull.4156527589_j385.jpg

8/10

Enjoyed it a lot, not as good as the first but definitely a film I regret not going to see in the cinema as the visual spender alone would have been worth the extortionate prices. Very much looking forward to the third instalment.

Definitely go watch the third one in the theaters! The way that second one looked on a premium screen with 3D was something I can't compare to anything else. Sublime, really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"