What Was the Last Movie You Watched?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Raising Arizona

d026fa1c55e2cf61109f78e7b3a7bd842a90d4e3.gifv

M3GAN (Unseen Edition)

Kinda conflicted on this. On the one hand, it's a nice idea. The design of M3GAN itself is cool, the visual FX are fine (loved M3GAN running on all-fours, and the dance), and the cast do a good job. On the other hand, it takes far too long to get going, some of the dialogue sounds a bit 'first draft', and there are some really dumb character decisions. Okay, this is horror; dumb character decisions are par for the course. But this is a sci-fi/horror, and you're supposed to at least buy into the premise. So,

1. When you're designing a household robot that is designed as a companion for a child, why make it as strong as a freaking Terminator? Make it as strong as an adult! We've been raising children for a long time. I've raised two - and I can honestly say I was strong enough to perform any task needed.

2. Why the hell isn't there a 'killswitch' that someone can carry in their pocket, to immediately disable the robot? Not a switch on the (super-strong) robot itself that you need to try to access, but one you can use from a distance - even another room, if need be.

3. Surely, a primary consideration by the design team would be consultation with child psychologists at every step of the way! There could be major implications for any child's mental well-being when bonding with an artificial being, let alone a child who's recently been through the most traumatic event any child can experience! The designer and her team here seemed content to just 'see how things work out'!

I've read that test screenings persuaded the studio to reshoot parts to make it accessible for a younger audience. The version I watched was supposedly uncut (although from what I've read there are still scenes missing); I know if I'd seen the TC I'd have felt cheated. I hope they make the promised sequel more hard-hitting.

The things I like I rate an 8; the things I don't like get a 5. Overall, 6.5/10

The Super Mario Bros. Movie

The more I think about it, the worse it gets. It's an endless barrage of cameos and easter eggs, with no soul or even story to find. It's the longest animated advertisement for a game series ever made and in that it succeeds, I did feel like playing a Mario game.

Friday Foster (1975)
LpKPZsC.jpg

Friday Foster was appearantly a comic that run for some years in the 70s. Friday was a photographer that went on various adventures in often glamourous environments, like the fashion industry. So I guess this film was pretty comic book accurate, but IMHO it also isn't really a typical gritty 70s Pam Grier flick like Coffy or Foxy Brown (with the more bad ass Pam characters we all love).

A slight disappointment in that sense, but there's of course still some entertaining action scenes here. Also a fun cast with Yaphet Kotto ("Colt Hawkins", you knew he had to be a bad ass PI), Eartha Kitt and Carl Weathers (who isn't even mentioned on the poster, only a few years before his later fame). You gotta love that movie poster though; As usual in the 70s there's some hilarious character descripitions - but here it's also actually spoiling Eartha Kitt's character's fate. Lol.

Galaxy Quest (1999)

F7jw1c3.jpg

ayfJiCt.jpg

Always a fun revisit. This always holds up as partly a parody of Star Trek and partly a kinda silly but heartwharming space comedy adventure, and mostly due to the cast IMHO. RIP Alan Rickman, greatly missed and perfectly cast as the typical cliché of a british slightly pompous actor. Sigourney (who - dare I say it - never looked hotter than here at 50..) is of course great as usual, and the whole group of actors playing the aliens who contact the cast must've had great fun with their characters (Missi Pyle has always been a great comedienne IMO, and here she was both ridiculously adorable and funny at the same time. Then again, that whole group was adorable in some sense lol).

Pinball: The Man Who Saved The Game (2022)

dVjAH44.jpg

Damn, it feels like there's been so many biographies about various pop cultural things lately, and I have yet to watch e.g. Air, Tetris, Blackberry (that one interest me the most, as those phones seemed to be a thing mostly in the US). When it comes to pinball machines though, that's something I discovered as a kid in early 80s and always loved since.

Back when there were places filled with pinball machines and arcade games (like classic Space Invaders) I always actually preferred the former. There's something very physical (and IMHO terapeutical) about playing a pinball game. Today they're more or less totally gone (in my country at least). It was eventually sadly more profitable in restaurents and bars to replace them with pure gambling machines. Which is ironic considering the dilemma in this film. Just too bad they're very noisy, otherwise I definitely would have an 80s or 90s pinball machine in my apartment.

Anyhows, this film is about an era in the 70s when these things actually still was forbidden at commercial places on various parts in the US (which sounds ridiculous today, and I had no idea). Appearantly they were considered as random gambling machines, and often thought of as controlled by the mob. Which of course wasn't true. This Roger Sharpe fellow, an aspiring young writer who by coincidence had been fascinated and learned a lot about these machines, finally proved how that was totally at fault. It's not a fantastic movie, but quite sympathetic esp. if you're a pinball fan like me. And the Roger Sharpe's character's 'stache is overly impressing throughout the film, and even commented a couple of times. Just as a bonus.

Last edited:

It's more like a glossy and corny lifetime movie of the week than a cinematic biopic, I'd love to know how much Now Magazine got paid for that quote. :funny:

4/10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"