What's so good about Spoiler?

Nepenthes

Superhero
Reaction score
First off, I just love the name...Spoiler :D...along with the notion that she's had a baby and she's overzealous and determined and she's a partner to Robin in more ways than one. Even the costume has promise. But I'm wondering what more there is to this character. She's definitely intriguing but far from what I'd define as solid Bat-family which is Tim Drake, Richard Grayson, Selina Kyle, Helena Bertinelli and Barbara Gordon. I want to like this character and I want something to happen for her to become a top-tier ally and supporting character.

I've read War Crimes I think and that's it. I know she was a regular in the Robin series but I really don't feel like trawling through that at all. I generally dislike it and other teen-hero-soaps of its kind. What are the stand-out issues I should read? What's so good about her anyway? She doesn't seem to have much in the way of a unique method or abilites so she's fairly generic as a costumed crimefighter. Her personality I don't feel like I have any real grip on. I'm glad she's back if only to redeem the diabolical decisions in War Games & War Crimes, but where to from here?

Right now I'd say she needs a costume tweak (lose the cape and reduce the hood) and a major story to redefine her. What feelings does she have about her adopted baby? Does she remember being tortured? Is she weird from being raised by a supervillain? How does a normal girl compete with the likes of Cassandra Cain and Tim Drake (who's had years of intense, fulltime bat-training)? What will she bring that others cannot? Does her status as a former Robin make any difference to anything? What's she been doing since War Games? These are questions a Spoiler newbie needs adressed, all in one place. She needs to be reintroduced to readers who don't care.

From what little I know of her she already seems somehow "grittier" than rest of the Batman supporting cast (and I hate to use that word) and in this way she's kinda similair to Jason Todd. There are aspects of the lone wolf, dejected mother, long lost daughter, she's been raised in crime, tortured and matyred. It's her most interesting angle imo and I'd play it up. Make it so Robin goes out with a girl who's wilder, tougher and more mysterious than he is. She can even be a literal 'spoiler', a dark shroud concealing a nasty surprise. As of now I'm looking forward to see what Dixon does in the RIP tie in. I liked the way he handled the retcon and he's certainly an accomplished weaver of Batman lore so I'm looking forward to see what he does for her, I hope she gets something that counts.

Her and Jason should hook up as a new anti-Batman and Robin. The character was rushed a bit, no real motivation , no real set-up and character development before becoming Robin IV, unlike Tim who went through at least a year before he was judged ready.

It was a little interesting that she was Cluemaster's daughter I guess, and the invisibility cloak was nifty.

Ya know the whole "Batman R.I.P." storyline? Well, I think Spoiler is the one behind it... it's already been shown that she's alive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"