• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

What's the Most Popular Movie Set in Your Home State?

DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs

Avenger
Reaction score
ku-xlarge.png

Created by reddit user Jakubisko, the map uses ratings culled from IMDb to pick the most popular movie set in each state. It's an interesting look at where the movies we love make their fictional homes — and also highlights the fact that some states have a lot more movies to choose from than others. Montana's Lonesome Dove, for instance, could also be in the running for most popular TV show in the state, as it was actually a made-for TV miniseries that aired in the late '80s.

What if you're not in the states, though? Not to worry, reddit's VictorVan still might have you covered with these maps of the top-rated films in countries in Europe and the Americas. Taking both VictorVan and Jakubisko's maps together, we can also answer which U.S. state holds the title of most popular movie setting in the country — it's Maine, with Stephen King's The Shawshank Redemption.

Now I can get behind Scarface :yay:

And for those abroad:

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.png

Yeah, there was really no great mystery for what mine was going to be.

According to that graphic, it's George Washington. I've never seen it, so here are some of my favorite films set in NC...

Talladega Nights
Bull Durham (my hometown, actually)
The Notebook

Plus we have the Andy Griffith Show and Eastbound & Down (two polar opposites, I must say), but those aren't movies.

I would have had more suspense with the worst movie set in my home state. I nominate Forces of Nature.

I would actually say Die Hard for California. That's the first movie that came to my mind...and it was actually filmed right in Los Angles in the building that houses part of Fox Studios.

Lonesome Dove is a mini series...shouldn't really be considered a movie.

I think THE SHINING was actually filmed in Oregon. Wherever, it wasn't Colorado like it was supposed to be.

The question is about where they were set, not filmed.

Toss up between Rudy and Close Encounters. The most popular tv show is Parks and Rec.

According to that graphic, it's George Washington. I've never seen it, so here are some of my favorite films set in NC...

Talladega Nights
Bull Durham (my hometown, actually)
The Notebook

Never heard of "George Washington," either (for those who are wondering, the film has absolutely nothing to do with America's first president).

Not only that, the 7.5 IMDB consensus rating isn't even close to the highest score listed for films set in NC. It's listed as #23. So wtf, IMDB

The Sting over The Blues Brothers for IL?

My home state of PA...never saw the movie though

MV5BMTYzMDM5MjMyN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzcyMTEzMQ@@._V1_SX640_SY720_.jpg

Donnie Darko

Takes place in the same year I was born and set in the county I spent my summers as a kid.

Sooo......you're pretty much Donnie Darko

Hows your rabbit friend doing?

I'm glad they went with the best movies set in those states instead of most popular.

Whoever did the tv show map should've applied the same philosophy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"