Where is Metropolis Located in Smallville?

X Knight

Straight Edge
Reaction score
hey all.......I'm new to the Smallville series, and there's one thing I'm not sure of.

But, have they established on the show where Metropolis is located?

In the comics, I always thought Metropolis was on the East Coast.

But, in Smallville, it seems Metropolis is a big city in Kansas.

If you guys and gals could help me out here, I would be most appreciative.

thanks.......

Metropolis is a big city in Kansas that's about 3 hours from Smallville (a small rural farm community).

The travel times tend to work better if you don't think about them too hard. ;)

ok thanks....

soooo......Smallville's kind of like a souped up version of our real life Kansas City???.......

also.....if Metropolis is in Kansas........and Clark/Superman will eventually move there and make Metropolis is home base.......wouldn't that mean that Smallville's Superman never really leaves Kansas?????

super-bats said:
also.....if Metropolis is in Kansas........and Clark/Superman will eventually move there and make Metropolis is home base.......wouldn't that mean that Smallville's Superman never really leaves Kansas?????

Just call him Dorothy...

;)

in one episode they said it was a 6 hour drive, but then Lana and Clark could both see it while sitting on top of a windmill in Smallville...I live about 3 hours away from Minneapolis/St. Paul, and even if I climbed the highest damn building around here, there's no chance in hell I could see the skyline of the twin cities...so, it's in Kansas for some damn reason (that's the one part of the show I really, really hate), and it apparently changes how far it is from Smallville at random points, probably due to...I dont know, portals or something :o

That may not be Metropolis they see it could be Central city. Don't forget it's in Kansas too.

Anyway from Wikipedia
In relation to Smallville said:
In the pre-Crisis on Infinite Earths comics, Smallville was often shown as being within driving distance of Metropolis, though with no definitive location. Since John Byrne's revamp of Superman in 1986, however, its location has usually been cited as being in Kansas.
In the Smallville television series, Metropolis seems to be located in Kansas or in a neighboring state. In an interview, the creators of Smallville have stated that Metropolis is approximately 100 miles (160 kilometers) from Smallville. In one episode, a letter is shown with the address "Metropolis, KA," suggesting the city is located in Kansas; however, the United States postal abbreviation for Kansas is "KS", not "KA." In the series, Vancouver stands in for Metropolis. The zip code for Metropolis, Kansas is 66632.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolis_(comics)

The Metropolis you see in Smallville is Vancover, British Columbia. The comic Metropoilis is based on Toronto Ontario and Cleveland Ohio. The home towns of Siegel and Shuster. Hell Superman was originally set in Cleveland.

actually, it has been stated that Gotham City was modeled after NYC
and Metropolis was modeled after Chicago

That wiki entry said that (metaphorically) Metropolis is New York during the day, Gotham is New York at night. Denny O'Neil's view (again metaphorically) is that Metropolis is New York above 14th Street, and that Gotham City is New York below 14th Street.

And yeah in the Supes movies Metropolis is in NY state. And Gotham is in New Jersey.

The Joker said:
in one episode they said it was a 6 hour drive,

They said it was a 6 hour round trip. Chloe said it to Pete in Truth, when Pete told Chloe that Clark was going to go to the football stadium in Metropolis to buy hot dogs.

You guys do know that they are not real cities right?

Actually, comic book metropolis is in Delaware

avidreader said:
They said it was a 6 hour round trip. Chloe said it to Pete in Truth, when Pete told Chloe that Clark was going to go to the football stadium in Metropolis to buy hot dogs.

even at 3 hours, you couldnt see it from the top of a 4 story windmill damn it :mad:

The Batman said:
Actually, comic book metropolis is in Delaware

and Smallville Metroplis is in Kansas
and Lois & Clark Metropolis is in Maryland
and Superman:The movie Metropolis is in New York

are we sensing a theme here?

LostSon88 said:
Haha, cute. Oooh, Metrops. I had bunches of fun there this past June :up::up:

(That said...the place is definitely more Smallville than Metropolis...it's almost like a Pre-Crisis Smallville, one that celebrated being the hometown of Superboy.)

I love talking about the different interpretations of Metropolis and Gotham City...their influences, their real-world "twins," their locations. For SV's Metropolis, their influences are certainly Vancouver (derr) and Chicago (I'm pretty sure they've even used one or two nighttime shots of Chicago, looking southward from the North Loop).

if im wrong, then how come the same link you used to prove that metropolis is in ny states that DC's official role playing game and various comics said that metropolis is indeed in delaware?

I get more of Metropolis being like Washington DC and Gotham City having a New Jersey vibe.

do you think BW can make an appearance on Smallville?
Can WW?
I think GA is just a Batman rip-off...
:whatever:

The Batman said:
if im wrong, then how come the same link you used to prove that metropolis is in ny states that DC's official role playing game and various comics said that metropolis is indeed in delaware?
*sigh* The wiki link adresses that.
wikipedia said:
Like many of DC's other fictional cities, the location of Metropolis has varied greatly over the years. Metropolis, however, is usually portrayed as a major city on the east coast of the United States.
Essentially it's where ever the f--k the person writing wants it to be.

lars573 said:
Essentially it's where ever the f--k the person writing wants it to be.

Finally! why is it so hard for some people to get that?!?!?!?

800px-Concept_widstrt.jpg

i.....want.....this......game

(in reference to SR game, from which this screenshot was taken)

Lionel Luthor said:
Everyone does. Patience is not my strong suit.
Superman has been so neglected in video games...plus now we have the free-roaming capabilities....ugh

Lionel Luthor said:
That's wicked though. You can actually transform him into the purple suited Bizzaro and tear the city to shreds.
yeah, i want to tear the city to shreds
does that make me evil? haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"