Short Commute - Smallville to Metropolis

AgentPat said:
Jeeze. And I thought Star Trek fans nitpicked too much. LOL :D

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Folks, it's a show about an immortal alien living on earth with superhuman powers. He sees through walls, catches cars like beach balls, incinerates with a glance, and moves at almost the speed of light. Oh yeah, and he flies... occasionally. :p

If you can suspend disbelief on those relatively insignificant points (LOL), why's it so hard to deal with a waterfront city three hours drive from the fictional town of Smallville, Kansas? :confused:

It's not nitpicking. It's asking for a bit of continuity. Suspending your disbelief is easy for something fantastical but you still have to ground things in realism. We dont have aliens to compare to walking around. Where as Kansas is real. If Kansas was not in the midwest it wouldnt be bad. There is a serious difference in suspending your disbelief in characters rather than setting. Smallville may be fiction but Kansas is not and there are NO large bodies of water. There still has to be some familiarity to the setting.

The real problem isnt really the suspending of disbelief though. It's the complete lack of attention to continuity. And I HATE the fact that apprarently anyone that talks bad about this film is seen as something that doesnt like the show or gets asked "Why do you watch then" I'm invested. I'm into the show. At first because it was a great idea. It had potential. NOW? It's all on the fact that it's still Superman. But all that is still being tested because there is a real lack of attention to the stories as well as continuity. Not only Superman mythos continuity but in their own show as well. When your writers continue to ignore other things established by other writers shows a lack of communication and caring for the product. It's an insult to viewers. No matter how old they are.

It IS possible to be a fan and yet still be critical. I want the show to be good. I want it to succeed. The actors for the most part are great on the show.People that complained about Welling back in the day can't say that he hasnt grown as an actor. It's the writers that are failing this show. It's the producers.

In the end it all comes down to a simple thing. IF you set something up in a show. Have the brain to respect what you have set up as fact in the show. The only person on the show that should be making these daily trips to Metropolis is Clark. Otherwise it's starting to look like they jumped the shark by trying to bring in the city as a new setting.

All I ask for is for some respect as a viewer. As it stands right now they have no faith in their fans. They appreciate<sp> them I'm sure. But they don't understand them.

Michael Corleone said:
It's not nitpicking. It's asking for a bit of continuity. Suspending your disbelief is easy for something fantastical but you still have to ground things in realism. We dont have aliens to compare to walking around. Where as Kansas is real....
But Smallville (the town) and Metropolis is not.

Honestly, I see this as nitpicking. Characters may move back and forth between the various locations (Smallville, KCA&M, Metropolis, Miami, Honduras, China, etc.) but the actual time spent for the character(s) to do so isn't made clear unless it's Clark. So we really don't know how long it takes in show time. We don't see them take bathroom breaks either. I get a chuckle out of seeing mountains in the background too 'cause we all KNOW where the show is lensed. So what? Star Trek used salt shakers for props and shower curtains for costumes. Big deal. I don't need *everything* to make sense in the "real world" (like drive time) in order to enjoy the show. I really don't think about that stuff. I'm watching the characters interact and what they do to problem solve.

Just to be clear, there's nothing wrong with nitpicking. We all do it. I've had my moments with the physics' aspects - pulling helicopters out of the sky, and what not. LOL But nitpicking by definition is what you do with the small stuff. I don't sweat the small stuff; I just make fun of it, especially where fantasy is involved. The show is based on a comic book character. 'Nuf said.

Different strokes...

Kaboom said:
my understanding was gotham was always nyc.
metropolis was always basedon chicago, but near D.C.
It really comes down to personal interpretation, really. There've been many influences and portrayals of these cities. Originally Metropolis was [at least visually] inspired by Toronto [and probably partly Cleveland]. Gotham, I thought, was always supposed to be a large and out of control NYC. And according to avidreader, SV's Metropolis is based more on Chicago [and filmed in Vancouver]. And then you have instances such as STM, which had NYC be Metropolis, and Batman Begins, where filming took place in London and Chicago...there's also Superman Returns' Metropolis, shot in Sydney and going for, largely, a 1930s/40s/Golden Age era NYC [and possibly some plates shot in NYC, I thought I heard].

Not NYC, just the State of New York.

In the DCU, New York has 2 major cities in it; New York and Metropolis. Both exist.

in Lois and clark: the new advertures of Superman, metropolis was in dc area. and i know this issue was addressed in canon in some dc/marvel crossovers.

This thread reminded me of something fun and related.

In Alex Ross' & Paul Dini's Batman: War On Crime, one of the opening shots is almost amusingly Chicago, straight up, and throughout the rest of the story are noticeable Chicago influences.

Kaboom said:
in Lois and clark: the new advertures of Superman, metropolis was in dc area. and i know this issue was addressed in canon in some dc/marvel crossovers.

But DC/Marvel crossovers arent canon

wikipedia has an extensive article on it

AgentPat said:
But Smallville (the town) and Metropolis is not.

Honestly, I see this as nitpicking. Characters may move back and forth between the various locations (Smallville, KCA&M, Metropolis, Miami, Honduras, China, etc.) but the actual time spent for the character(s) to do so isn't made clear unless it's Clark. So we really don't know how long it takes in show time. We don't see them take bathroom breaks either. I get a chuckle out of seeing mountains in the background too 'cause we all KNOW where the show is lensed. So what? Star Trek used salt shakers for props and shower curtains for costumes. Big deal. I don't need *everything* to make sense in the "real world" (like drive time) in order to enjoy the show. I really don't think about that stuff. I'm watching the characters interact and what they do to problem solve.

Just to be clear, there's nothing wrong with nitpicking. We all do it. I've had my moments with the physics' aspects - pulling helicopters out of the sky, and what not. LOL But nitpicking by definition is what you do with the small stuff. I don't sweat the small stuff; I just make fun of it, especially where fantasy is involved. The show is based on a comic book character. 'Nuf said.

Different strokes...

Yeah I understand your argument but I'm talking about them keeping their own continuity. Not Superman continuity, they ignored that a long time ago, I'm talking about their own that they worked very hard to set up in earlier seasons. If they want to make it just a hop skip and a jump then fine but dont change that just to suit the story. That's just bad writing. If you want to get that fantastical...fine...but dont contradict your own continuity. I don't know if its because they have a lot of writers or they just don't care but If it takes them 3 hours and then the next week its a matter of minutes only to go back to 3 hours again...well thats just rediculous.

Please dont take this as frustration towards you Pat..This has everything to do with my frustration in their continuity and nothing to do with you. lol

Metropolis was in DE. Then it moved again. I believe it's somewhere else now or still in DE. I know Returns is in DE. At least the plates on the cars say "the first state" hence DE. I think its location has fluctuated several times...but always been a eastern costal city between NYC and DC.

Michael Corleone said:
I don't know if its because they have a lot of writers or they just don't care but If it takes them 3 hours and then the next week its a matter of minutes only to go back to 3 hours again...well thats just rediculous.

Please dont take this as frustration towards you Pat..This has everything to do with my frustration in their continuity and nothing to do with you. lol

I think Pat was more or less saying that we dont actually know how long it takes them, the only person we see travelling back and forth between Smallville and Metropolis in real time is Clark.

We see Lana go back and forth probably more than anyone, but we're never told or really shown how much time has passed.

I dont think that's unrealistic.

avidreader said:
I think Pat was more or less saying that we dont actually know how long it takes them, the only person we see travelling back and forth between Smallville and Metropolis in real time is Clark.

We see Lana go back and forth probably more than anyone, but we're never told or really shown how much time has passed.

I dont think that's unrealistic.
Yeah, I agree, that's something that's fine and dandy. Them saying that Metropolis and Smallville are within 3-4 hours of one another is enough for me. I do wonder at times, though, how they [non-Clark characters] deal with the constant travel back and forth...but anyone who asks "How can they afford it??" has to also remember that even the not-so-financially well-off on the show can apparently bounce back from several car wrecks and other property-destruction problems, so...really, travel's no biggy in comparison. :p

:)
how genius was einstein when he said time was relative..
(and, where's my watch? while noticing a socks mismatch for a brief second..)

now just to confirm this, imagine wearing two watches while on your typical ride to metropolis, one on your right hand, one on your left..

Now, at some point of time, and while avoiding all those cows on the road too,you start moving your left arm (elbow and down) in a rapid circular movements close to the speed of light, for at least 2 1/2 hours..

guess what one watch is showing as oposed to the other once you arrive ?!!

well just go and try it sometime, you'll be amazed!

BaK - you are totally out of your mind.

I think that's why I like you.

my understanding is that metropolis is NYC during the day, gotham is NYC at night, Metropolis is NYC in a successful future, gotham is NYC in an unsuccessful one, metropolis is the rich part of NYC, gotham is the poor part of NYC...two aspects of the same city,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"