Which do you prefer Superman II (Theatrical Cut) or Spider-Man 2 (Theatrical Cut)?

Brightburn1985

Civilian
Reaction score
Or do you prefer Spider-Man 2.1 or Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut? I think Spider-Man 2 (Theatrical Cut) and Captain America: The Winter Soldier are not just great superhero films, they're GREAT films, period.

Spider-Man 2 and Spider-Man 2.1 are essentially the same movie. I don't really value one over the other. I like them better than either version of Superman II, which unfortunately was hurt by behind the scenes problems. Even then, I suspect I would pick Spidey just because I like that movie so much. I also prefer it to the first Superman.

Between the Superman IIs, I prefer the Donner Cut. It cut out some of the goofiness and even though the role is small, I thought Jor-El being in the film added a lot to the emotional punch of the film and he was sorely, sorely missed in the Theatrical Cut. That final scene between Clark and Jor-El is at the heart of the entire film and it simply wasn't there at all in the theatrical version. I also much preferred the Donner version of the scene where Clark finally admits to Lois that he's Superman, another key scene of the film. And that one was just patched together from screentest footage!

While it is nice to own Superman II and watch it as a form "what could have been" it is still a pretty rough cut with some weak editing.

Yes the Brando scenes are nice, but you still get the same ending as in Superman The Movie, and no, Superman is not supposed to say "Haven't you heard about the freedom of the press?" he is supposed to say "General, care to step outside?"

I can understand that its made with the material they had to use, and also that they probably had a limited budget. But you can find various fan edits that has a better flow than the official "Donner Cut".

It is rough and incomplete, no question. Donner in particular said that he would have had a different ending had he been allowed to complete the film, they just had to work with the material they had. I'm just saying as a whole, I prefer it to the Lester version specifically.

Theatrical, probably Spider-Man 2, but as far as cuts go, I'd go with the Donner Cut for Superman II. I feel that there are enough substantial changes in the Donner Cut that make it stronger to its original release compared to Spider-Man.

Spider-Man 2 for theatrical.

It's not a contest for me.

Spider-Man 2 all the way.

Any version of Spider-man 2 is going to be better than Superman 2. I'd only be interested in a hatchet version of Supes 2 if it somehow changed the story to where Superman didn't decide that having a girlfriend was more important than the rest of the world.

Spider-Man 2 is a better movie but I'd still probably watch Superman II, owing to it still having all the trappings of the Donner original. And also because I prefer Superman in general.

Though if we were talking about the Donner cut of Superman II, then I'd also pick that over Spider-Man 2 as the better movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"