Blu-Ray or HD-DVD for comic films?

murdock_matt

Browncoat
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide on the format in which I should invest, Blu-Ray or HD-DVD. And since comic book movies are some of my favorites (not to mention the most visually stunning for this type of high-def presentation), that will definitely play a part in my decision. I made a list of which films are on which format so far.

The majority are Marvel so I posted this here.

BLU-RAY

The Fantastic Four (Theatrical Version)
The Punisher (2004)
X-Men: The Last Stand
Ghost Rider (Extended Version)
Spider-Man (announced)
Spider-Man 2 (announced)
Spider-Man 3 (only makes sense)
Superman: The Movie
Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut
Superman Returns

HD-DVD

Hulk (Universal has refused to support Blu-Ray thusfar)
V for Vendetta
Batman Begins
Superman: The Movie
Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut
Superman Returns
Constantine

I know there are other like Hellboy on Blu-Ray but I'm just focusing on Marvel/DC titles. And Blu-Ray seems to be the comic fan's friend at this juncture.

I guess I could go with the LG BH100 player which plays both.

What do you guys think?

(Also, just to save confusion, HD-DVD and Blu-Ray are BOTH backwards compatible and will play all the old regular DVDs unlike the popular belief that Blu-Ray cannot.)

Right now I wouldn't go with either. We really don't know if either format is going to take off.

But if you really want to go with a format, go with blu-ray. HD-DVD is not going to win the format war. The only support HD-DVD has is with Universal and the Weinstein Co.. Blu-ray has the support of Columbia, MGM (both of which are owned by Sony), 20th Century Fox, Lion's Gate, and Disney.

Batman Begins, V for Vendetta, and Constantine have been announced for blu-ray, they're just waiting so they can add a feature that is currently only on HD-DVD (pretty much, they want it to be exactly the same but with slightly better picture quality).

Go with Blu-ray, all those movies you mentioned will arrive on Blu-ray eventually, apart from Hulk (its **** anyway) and with Blu-ray youve got sony exclusives, Spiderman and Ghostrider will never come out on hd-dvd because sony owns them.

Yeah. Everything I've read so far in my research points to Blu-Ray being the winner in the long run.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"