Who Should Own DC Comics

Lily Adler

#forthecontent! 📹 (she/her)
Staff member
Reaction score
If WBD does decide to sell off assets that they believe are not profitable, who should buy DC Comics?

Amazon. The two already have a deal in place for those animation projects anyway. They do with Netflix as well, but my first pick is Amazon.

I guess maybe the best place from the traditional companies for it would be Universal. They have a handle on things pretty good at the moment.

But it'll be Amazon.

I would go to Universal Pictures if I am DC just like Marvel went to Paramount and then after Disney...DC should leave Warner Brothers and go to Universal

For all those wanting a DC comics brand owned by Universal.
Think of a world where the 'true' dark universe overwhelms earth & the likes of Dracula, Frankenstein, the Mummy, Wolfman, etc. try to overrun earth.

For all those wanting DC comics brand to be owned by Amazon.
What about a galactic threat opening up via Stargate which also includes RoboCop.

Which would be the more entertaining idea?

Correct me if I’m wrong… My understanding is that DC/Comics owns all the DC intellectual properties. And since comic book publishing isn’t what it used to be, I assume that the bulk of DC’s revenue comes from licensing these IPs — everything from :super: coffee mugs to the upcoming Penguin TV series.

So in terms of the thread question, WB Discovery would sell off the publishing arm… but still retain ownership of the IPs? (But would anyone want to buy a comic book company if the deal didn’t include the company’s content?) Or are we imagining a “George Lucas sells Star Wars” type scenario?

Hypothetically, Apple could be an interesting landing spot. Though I'm becoming increasing wary of all these giant mergers and I'm dreading the thought of another acquisition of WBD within the next 5 years. The constant shakeups are more damaging to the DC brand than anything.

The idea that any other company would be significantly better at handling DC is laughable. Zaslav is cut from the exact same cloth as every other Hollywood exec, he just gets more press.

I was gonna say Disney at first but they already have too much ips to work on.

Out of the companies that own a major film company, I would pick Sony. Paramount doesn't know what to do with Transformers, Star Trek and G.I. Joe. Universal haven't launched a modern a very eXpansive cinematic universe.

Amazon, NetfliX, Apple - just no. They just don't have the track record of launching blockbuster movies unlike the big 5/6.

With Sony, at least they have the Spider-Man movies and the other Marvel movies. They still managed to make a bunch of Marvel movies without featuring Spider-Man in every film. Plus just imagine PlayStation taking advantage of Dc characters.

With Sony, at least they have the Spider-Man movies and the other Marvel movies. They still managed to make a bunch of Marvel movies without featuring Spider-Man in every film. Plus, just imagine PlayStation taking advantage of Dc characters.

I feel Sony's success with the Spider-man movies had someone from Marvel there to oversee the whole production process. I don't have a strong feeling of trust if Sony was left alone to produce any DC characters on their own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"