Why invest in Blue Ray or HD-DVD???

What im curious about, is the quality difference that much of a difference if it's in MP3 format or is it really subtle.

It depends on your ears and hearing. I can tell the difference between the original wav file or lossless file and an MP3. But, the higher the bitrate for and MP3 the harder it is to hear the differences. An MP3 at 128 kbps sounds like crap. The highs are harsh and the lows are muddy. An MP3 at 320 kbps still exhibits these problems but to a lesser degree. Using Apple Lossless or FLAC provides a bit for bit copy of the original wav file and therefore sounds like the original. Not everyone is as picky as I am but I used to be all into MP3's back in the day but now it's kind of like...eh.

Personally i'm waiting. I don't see the rush considering they are backwards compatible. Also i want to see the price decrease before making the commitment. I don't have money to waste on a losing machine.

My biggest complaint right now with the format wars is the fact that it's taking so long.

I'm worn out, and I'm still buying DVDs.

THat, and I hate the ugly box designs on both the blu-ray and HD-DVD.

Not only that but now they have "Ultra-HD" TV's and video technology that is ready now but won't probably hit the market for 12-15 years. So by the time you build up a huge collection of DVD's it'll be time to swap them out again. When does it end. LOL

I dont' think Blu-Ray or HD-DVD's are the next big step in anything. While collectors prefer physical media the average consumer just wants to watch the movie. So the downloads will eventually be the most popular format.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-ultra-hd.htm

Not only that but now they have "Ultra-HD" TV's and video technology that is ready now but won't probably hit the market for 12-15 years. So by the time you build up a huge collection of DVD's it'll be time to swap them out again. When does it end. LOL

I dont' think Blu-Ray or HD-DVD's are the next big step in anything. While collectors prefer physical media the average consumer just wants to watch the movie. So the downloads will eventually be the most popular format.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-ultra-hd.htm

But there is always going to be something new on the horizon I don't get waiting and waiting for "the next big thing" because there is always going to be one. I understand still sticking with dvds if you don't have money to dive into a new format because right now it is still a little too expensive for the general public. And I strongly disagree with you about the average consumer just wanting to watch a movie. In terms of renting yes but when it comes to a movie they like and want to watch over and over they will want a physical copy plain and simple.

But there is always going to be something new on the horizon I don't get waiting and waiting for "the next big thing" because there is always going to be one. I understand still sticking with dvds if you don't have money to dive into a new format because right now it is still a little too expensive for the general public. And I strongly disagree with you about the average consumer just wanting to watch a movie. In terms of renting yes but when it comes to a movie they like and want to watch over and over they will want a physical copy plain and simple.

No I agree I just won't invest until I'm pretty sure it's gonna be a long lasting standard...like DVD. It was obvious Laser Disc's would never be the standard. They were two big and in most cases had to be flipped to watch the whole movie. Once DVD was announced it was a HUGE step forward over VHS in almost everyway. HD and Blu-Ray isn't that HUGE step IMO. For gaming it certainly is but for movies...I don't think so.

Once DVD was announced it was a HUGE step forward over VHS in almost everyway. HD and Blu-Ray isn't that HUGE step IMO. For gaming it certainly is but for movies...I don't think so.

Have you watched a HD DVD or Blu-ray the whole way through on a large display? Because, I can tell you that there is a big difference. The detail, colors, shadow detail, etc. all are a big difference on most movies on High Def. I'll agree that VHS to DVD was huge, but DVD to High Def is a pretty big difference as well.

There's a difference but it's not big enough for me personally to change because I'd prefer servers/hard drives & downloads. I can wait another 12 months for that to be more suitable for me. This whole format war is stupid with certain titles exclusive to one format. Spider-Man 3 isn't even on HD-DVD, Paramount is only on HD-DVD, etc...So I can't even have an entire superhero collection in one format. Screw that. These companies can blow it out their ass.

No I agree I just won't invest until I'm pretty sure it's gonna be a long lasting standard...like DVD. It was obvious Laser Disc's would never be the standard. They were two big and in most cases had to be flipped to watch the whole movie. Once DVD was announced it was a HUGE step forward over VHS in almost everyway. HD and Blu-Ray isn't that HUGE step IMO. For gaming it certainly is but for movies...I don't think so.

Well the big difference between these high def formats is that they are constantly developing. Hitachi has stated they can make a 100GB that will play in current Blu-Ray players and HD DVD is already working on a 51GB disc. Right high def movies are barely making it to the 25-50GB mark More space = More possibilities. Getting better and better.

There's a difference but it's not big enough for me personally to change because I'd prefer servers/hard drives & downloads. I can wait another 12 months for that to be more suitable for me. This whole format war is stupid with certain titles exclusive to one format. Spider-Man 3 isn't even on HD-DVD, Paramount is only on HD-DVD, etc...So I can't even have an entire superhero collection in one format. Screw that. These companies can blow it out their ass.

Well most of the time you can just find an import of a movie if you want it bad enough at this point. More so with HD DVD since their movies are region free while Blu-Ray at this point has certain ones.

everyone will change over to HD dvds eventually,Most people haven't seen HD anything yet,but come Febuary 09' when all tv broadcasts are in HD,they don't wanna go back to regular standard tv,Best Buy is already pulling analog tvs from the store shelves.

everyone will change over to HD dvds eventually,Most people haven't seen HD anything yet,but come Febuary 09' when all tv broadcasts are in HD,they don't wanna go back to regular standard tv,Best Buy is already pulling analog tvs from the store shelves.

No they won't. Neither one of these format will become the industry standard like the DVD.

Blu-Ray offensive attack! I love being on the sidelines. LOL

http://www.dailytech.com/Bluray+Mounts+Attack+on+HD+DVD+with+Media+Event/article9458.htm

Here's an excerpt:

Blu-ray Disc-exclusive studio 20th Century Fox’s president Mike Dunn spoke out against rival studio Paramount for “taking the bait” in its decision to release high-definition movies exclusively on HD DVD. Dunn also suggested that a certain large, HD DVD-backing corporation is purposely confusing the high-definition battle in hopes that consumers will go the way of digital downloads.

Just to let you guys know:
HD-A2 HD-DVD Players are going to be 98 dollers at walmart on friday!
Plus you get 5 free HD-DVDs by mail, so it's pretty much free.
Best time to pick one up.:yay:

Just to let you guys know:
HD-A2 HD-DVD Players are going to be 98 dollers at walmart on friday!
Plus you get 5 free HD-DVDs by mail, so it's pretty much free.
Best time to pick one up.:yay:

Yep, that is an excellent deal! As an owner of the HD-A2 I can highly recommend it, especially at that price. Plus, it's a great upconverting DVD player as well.

The sale seems to be for the weekend, but I have a feeling you will see similar sales on Black Friday.

Good stuff...:up:

I got bit by betamax so Im holdin out till one format wins:trans:

That link says that HD might loose?I don't really think so,the PS3 has not caught on and HD is on networks and channels.

That link says that HD might loose?I don't really think so,the PS3 has not caught on and HD is on networks and channels.

Wow. You should really know what your talking about before you comment on it.

So, what are the latest sales figures for the two formats?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"