• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Dark Knight Why is everyone SO hung up about Phillipe?

Tristantulanka

Civilian
Reaction score
Okay the way I see it is their could have been a better dent casting.
But in the event we get Ryan, what is SOOOO horrible about him?

I hear the complaints "hes a pretty boy"
Isnt that supposed to be such the big part of Dents transformation?
The fact that he has a huge image of himself and its shattered to pieces driving him insane?

I personally think that a "pretty boy" cast in this role doesnt sound too bad.

True I would have had Clive Owen, or a plethora of other actors. but he doesnt seem so bad as to boycot the movie.

Personally, I think Liev Schreiber is a much better choice but i'll trust Nolan.... I highly doubt it'll end up being ryan though..

It's his youthful appearance. He looks very young. I can't imagine respecting him as a District Attourney or fearing him as a Super Villain.

Boycotting is ridiculous.

It's like what's going on with Daniel Craig playing Bond. I don't want Ryan. I don't want Ledger either but I'll be in line on the first day.

Look, we all have our opinions and you'll never get universal agreement on anything in this world, but when a guy like Phillippe's name comes up for a role like this, it shocks (maybe surprises is a better choice) a sizeable percentage of the fandom (in my opinion) because I think we wonder what's going on in the heads of those in charge.

I don't want to try and speak for anyone else, but I know this is what happens to me. Call me crazy, but I don't think I'm alone in thinking this way.

I don't trust Warner Brothers. Yes, I do trust Nolan. However, I don't blindly trust him.

He did give us Katie Holmes.
He didn't shoot the fight scenes very well (Yes, Batman as a scary specter works on the docks, but all subsequent fight scenes should have been shot differently).
I felt he rushed certain scenes and belabored on others.

They're a couple of other minor complaints, but I loved the film. Saw it three times in the theater...which is rare for me. Bought the Deluxe DVD and can't wait for the sequel.

if a director like nolan uses him to his full potential he can be decent i guess (i think he's too young/"pretty boyish"/studio choice/etc...)

but everybody in the world has wanted liev or phoenix for harvey

plus an article referred to him as mr. witherspoon, not always flattering, but appropriate considering his body of work

it just seems to me that compared to the rest of the cast, he seems way out of his league

My main reason with him is that he's never really shown that he can have a commanding on-screen personality. That's something Harvey needs. That's something Two-Face needs. Harvey needs to be a very cultured, but authortative figure, and, obviously, Two-Face needs to be this sorta brutal killer. I really don't think Phillippe has the range to pull that off. At least I haven't seen it yet.

And obvi., boycotting the film for a simple casting decision is crazy. Especially with Nolan who, so far in his career, has made nothing but quality movies.

To Katsuro: I never thought of it in that aspect. That is true....

and to OneKnight: I dont think ANYONE trusts Warner Brothers. The greatness of BB and hopefully this one is all Nolan.

I do however disagree with you in the fact that the fight scenes are badly done. I thought that they were really well choreagraphed and filmed. Its supposed to be Quick, and Dirty. Flashes here and there.
I didnt think Katie was SO bad, but they could have done better,

And yes, some of it was rushed.

CConn said:
My main reason with him is that he's never really shown that he can have a commanding on-screen personality. That's something Harvey needs. That's something Two-Face needs. Harvey needs to be a very cultured, but authortative figure, and, obviously, Two-Face needs to be this sorta brutal killer. I really don't think Phillippe has the range to pull that off. At least I haven't seen it yet.
:up:

He's far from my top personal pick. But I have and open mind if he is truly Nolan's choice. I loved his performance in Way of the Gun and I think he is starting to look mature enough as of late. If he is Dent, I will absolutely keep an open mind until I see the performance.

Tristantulanka said:
The fact that he has a huge image of himself and its shattered to pieces driving him insane?

thank you! i've been thinking the exact same thing.

CConn said:

TONS of actors never had a commanding presence on screen until they were given the opprtunity to do it under an approriate director. i mean, look at hugh jackman when he was cast as wolverine....what commanding performance did he have before that? christopher reeve, what commanding performance did he have before superman? every actor who is now worth a damn got that way because they found themselves in the right film, at the right time, under the right director to breakout. who's to say the role of harvey dent ISNT THAT ROLE for phillipe? and after all nolan has done, with BB and his other films, why cant anyone trust him to make that choice of who's best for the role?

Finally someone posted it. Look after seeing his performance in Crash as an officer torn apart by racism, I thought he was a damn good choice. So yeah, he made a few pretty boy films .... what 8-10 years ago?

eh, if he is cast it will work itself out. He's a good actor and the movie is in seemingly good hands. However, based on what we've seen so far though (which is all any of us have to go on) he just looks and acts a little too cutesy and young for my taste- even in dramatic roles. Its true that Dent is supposed to be a handsome man, but that isnt the same thing as being a "pretty boy". I always saw Dent as being very charming and MATURE. He's a D.A. for goodness sakes, If it were up to me Dent would not look boyish at all. He would be all grown up and distinguished for sure (yea yea, Phillipe is over 30, but he still has a very boyish look). 'Young' should only be thought of in relation to his job when it comes to Dent. Just like Bill Clinton was a 'young' president. In my opinion, even in his more serious roles Phillipe hasnt conveyed the commanding and mature qualities that i've always imagined the character to have. I dont see him as being 'right' for Dent, let alone two-face. Not trying to open up a can of worms here, but its the difference between Brandon Routh and Christopher Reeve: Played Superman at the same age, 1 seemed like he was barely in college the other was a grown-ass man.

Despite popular belief, Nolan and Bale did not save the Batman franchise. That is a responsibility solely for Liev Schreiber. Apparently. That, my friend, is why people here are SO hung up.

Your kidding.

I mean, IF they didn't save the Batman franchise.....then there'd be no part for Liev to even be considered for.

Actually, Nobody talks about this...but....Christian Bale and Chris Nolan helped save the time space continuim. Our world, our reality...could not take another Bad Batman movie. Apparently, Batman and Robin accounted for about 800% more than the the total allowed. So, by making Batman Begins....they re-balanced the universe and avoided the universe from collapsing within itself.

True story.

Tristantulanka said:
Okay the way I see it is their could have been a better dent casting.
But in the event we get Ryan, what is SOOOO horrible about him?

I personally think that a "pretty boy" cast in this role doesnt sound too bad.

True I would have had Clive Owen, or a plethora of other actors. but he doesnt seem so bad as to boycot the movie.
Comic book fans are impossible to please.

ChrisBaleBatman said:
Your kidding.

I mean, IF they didn't save the Batman franchise.....then there'd be no part for Liev to even be considered for.

Actually, Nobody talks about this...but....Christian Bale and Chris Nolan helped save the time space continuim. Our world, our reality...could not take another Bad Batman movie. Apparently, Batman and Robin accounted for about 800% more than the the total allowed. So, by making Batman Begins....they re-balanced the universe and avoided the universe from collapsing within itself.

True story.

Yes. But to be more accurate, it was sarcasm.

THANK YOU!

There is no real problem phillippe as other then people are so set on schrieber, who wouldbe AWEFUL as a YOUNG harvey dent.

cconn, he has shown that authoritivre figure in the way of the gun and i know what you did last summer. I am actual fan of his films and for a YOUNG harvey dent, hes perfect.

people think hes young cause hes made movies 10-12 years ago for teenagers. "Ryan Phillippe?? from I know what you did last summer?!?! what! hes soooo young!"

with that logic we would of NEVER gotten bale cause nolan would of said "Christian bale?? that little kid from empire of the sun??hows he going to play batman hes like 10 years old!"

people DO-
1. grow up
2. age
3. get better at acting

its a fact. you cant control it, it just hapopens. yet everybody seems to think ryan phillippe at this moment looks exactly the same and acts exactly the same as he did in is teen movies from 1997.:o

I would be fine with Phillipe, but again, there are much better actors for this role.

Jackman? Shreiber? Phoenix? Where are you? :D

pheonix i dunno cause i really like the guy in every movie hes in.

jackman and schrieber though-too old. id take jackman and would get over schriber, but we all say katie holmes looks to young; at the same time they would lookto old for an "up and coming hotshot d.a."

It hasn't been confirmed. And if its true, well I would be stunned since I don't think he's the best choice. However, I'm not the director or part of the creative team. If they think he's the right actor for the role, then I'll accept it. Although for the first time, I will have my doubts.

rppremiere1oe4.jpg

OneKnight said:
He didn't shoot the fight scenes very well (Yes, Batman as a scary specter works on the docks, but all subsequent fight scenes should have been shot differently).

I'm pretty sure this was partly because whoever wore the suit couldn't move effectviley enough to make the fighting look good. Whataver anyone says, the suit was still awkward in that respect.

as for phillipe he is just not a very good actor. I don't believe he is versaitile enough to play the darkness needed, and yes, he still looks about 20 despite being about 30. There is nothing about him that shows he is a suitable Harvey Dent, nothing whatsoever.

Joaquin Phoenix would be my ultimate choice, he's a superb actor. So is Ledger(although i don't agree with the casting). Imagine Bale, Phoenix, Ledger, Oldman. Unbelievable amount of talent.

Tojo said:
I'm pretty sure this was partly because whoever wore the suit couldn't move effectviley enough to make the fighting look good. Whataver anyone says, the suit was still awkward in that respect.
You can see on the DVD the suit works just fine. Bale can even climb up anc crouch on the ME with it on. Actually, on the DVD, the fights looked a little clearer. The editing is still chopping in bits, but you can tell the moves.

As for Phillippe, I heard some of the same complaints about Cillian Murphy as Crane, and it worked just fine. I´m gonna wait and see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"