Guardians of the Galaxy Why would I be a Garden of the Galaxy? The Gamora Thread

Wildcard

Cataclysmic Titan
Reaction score
gallery-1476894614-guardians-of-the-galaxy-2-gamora.jpg

Can't believe she doesn't have a thread yet but here we are. Still my favorite of the group and it was very rewarding to see them expand on her backstory with Nebula. All of it sold really well.

Plus, Zoe Saldana is just a treasure. :ilv:

The "Garden of the Galaxy" line wasn't actually in the movie interestingly enough.

I know, but I still love it so I thought it'd be a nice fit. :D

Thinking back, though, it probably would've seemed a little out of place if it was actually included.

Can't believe she doesn't have a thread yet but here we are. Still my favorite of the group and it was very rewarding to see them expand on her backstory with Nebula. All of it sold really well.

Plus, Zoe Saldana is just a treasure. :ilv:

Agreed! Zoe was excellent, and I really liked the subplot featuring Gamora's rivalry and reconciliation with Nebula.

I'm also a huge fan of the character and the actress. I've noticed she doesn't get any love in these parts and is constantly coming in last in polls of favorite characters and I can't figure that out for the life of me.

I will say that I do feel like Gunn has dropped the ball in just how badass the character really is- she is supposed to be "The deadliest woman in the universe" and he hasn't quite captured that aspect of her.

That prison scene annoyed me to the nth degree...the scene where the lowly criminals get her out of bed and try to kill her. The Gamora I know would have had those guys for breakfast in 10 seconds flat. She did turn the table and even have the upperhand on Drax in the scene that followed so I guess you could say she felt bad for her past crimes and wasn't putting up a fight, but still when I think Gamora I think FIGHT!

Still love that her role was expanded and the extra depth she's gotten in VOL. 2 and I heard that VOL.3 will feature a lot more of her- so that's exciting!

James Gunn said the third movie will give Gamora more things to do. Hopefully he's telling the truth. Gamora is great but having to play the straight (wo)man to other clowns and jesters in the team kinda made her dull. Gunn should've made her personality closer to the comics.

I'm also a huge fan of the character and the actress. I've noticed she doesn't get any love in these parts and is constantly coming in last in polls of favorite characters and I can't figure that out for the life of me.
It's probably like @Raiden said. Gamora's thing seems to be that she's the straightwoman to all the guys. All the men tend to be funny whether that's straight up funny like Peter, sarcastic like Rocket, doesn't get sarcasm/methaphor/irony like Drax and Groot is Groot. Even Mantis with her innocence. It just makes her duller in comparison.

In and of itself that's not a bad thing as it pretty much makes her the glue that holds the group together. But why not at least give her a massive battle scene like Rocket vs Ravagers. Just to show the audience that she deserves her title of 'deadliest woman'.

That prison scene annoyed me to the nth degree...the scene where the lowly criminals get her out of bed and try to kill her. The Gamora I know would have had those guys for breakfast in 10 seconds flat. She did turn the table and even have the upperhand on Drax in the scene that followed so I guess you could say she felt bad for her past crimes and wasn't putting up a fight, but still when I think Gamora I think FIGHT!
Considering the kind of strength level Gunn had her display in GOTG2 she should have been flinging those guys around like it's nothing. I like how you explain it away and agree but during the break-out scene it would have been awesome to see her throwing around guards and prisoners.

I agree on the prison scene - having Gamora take down a dozen or so harden criminals before finally being subdued would have shown why she is considered the deadliest woman in the galaxy - and would add to that the Drax-Ronan battle. It's fine that Ronan was able to defeat a drunk Drax, but he should have at least have put up a fight in this and their one sided skirmish on the Dark Aster. Its one of the reasons I prefer the sequel.

Indeed. The sequel actually gave her a substantial amount of moments to back up the "deadliest woman in the universe" claim. Here's hoping Gunn is telling the truth & there's even more of that for Vol. 3.

Indeed. The sequel actually gave her a substantial amount of moments to back up the "deadliest woman in the universe" claim. Here's hoping Gunn is telling the truth & there's even more of that for Vol. 3.
Or in Infinity War. Preferably both.

IMO Gunn doesn't really have a handle on the superpowers, especially Gamora's. So she's trained from youth to be an assassin but can be bested by a human without powers, Peter Quill. We didn't see much of her strength in the first movie (aside from breaking free of Groot's branches) but she can do insane jumps. Still, a freaking assassin should be able to deal with a couple of prisoners. Even later all it took was 2 Ravagers to restrain her. Also the 'electricity resistance'. Peter knocks her out at the beginning of the movie and later on she hold's onto Nebula's weapon and she can withstand electricity and kick Nebula out the ship at the same time. Makes no sense.

In the second movie she displayed an insane amount of strength. Holding on to the ship and Drax while also not being torn apart by it. And then later lifting that huge cannon without problem. But then Nebula chokes her with one hand (granted her robotic arm) and she can't get out of it. Considering how strong they made Gamora in the movie, that must be an insane amount of strength in that robotic arm. Yet Nebula was not able to free herself from the ship when she was trapped. She has a 'Man Of Steel' arm and should have been able to move the metal out of the way and get out. It makes no sense to me.

These inconsistencies are annoying because it's clear that the power level depends on who needs to win a fight in that moment to tell the story. And it still leaves us with the problem that so far Gamora hasn't done anything to support the claim of 'deadliest woman in the universe'.

While I agree about the prisoners, to be far, Quill wasn't just an ordinary human at the time, so it makes sense that he'd be able to contend with her. The prisoners, on the other hand, should've all been slaughtered by her with relative ease. But I guess they needed to downplay her ferocity so that she and Drax could have their little moment, which is lame, of course.

As for the Nebula ordeal in Vol. 2, you do have to remember that by that point Gamora was extremely tired as they had already been battling for a few minutes by then.

You are right though, Gamora's level of power has been fairly inconsistent, I'd like to think this will be rectified going forward but we shall see.

While I agree about the prisoners, to be far, Quill wasn't just an ordinary human at the time, so it makes sense that he'd be able to contend with her.
He was still ordinary. Peter didn't have powers unless on Ego's planet. Him being able to hold the infinity stone was due to his biology but he had no actual powers in the first movie. And Gamora, as we are told, has never failed in her missions. She must have had much bigger and tougher opponents.

As for the Nebula ordeal in Vol. 2, you do have to remember that by that point Gamora was extremely tired as they had already been battling for a few minutes by then.
She didn't look tired to me. A little out of it due to the explosion maybe. But these two had many battle before that were probably lengthy. And they both still have their strength levels, tired or not. The fact that Nebula was able to restrain Gamora with her robotic arm means she is even stronger (at least in that arm) than Gamora. She should have been able to free herself easily from being stuck in the ship.

You are right though, Gamora's level of power has been fairly inconsistent, I'd like to think this will be rectified going forward but we shall see.
It's not just Gamora but also Drax. They really upgraded him to almost Thor or Hulk level of tankiness. Groot was able to penetrate his skin easy in the first movie. In this movie he's crashing into trees without getting a scratch on him.

Regarding Gamora handling the prisoners in Vol.1, she had a knife to her throat, and remember it was aliens she was dealing with, they could have just as strong if not stronger than her.

She showed she could get the upper hand on them, but still dropped her weapons showing an unwillingness to fight at that point.

She also held back Drax when he was trying to fight Groot remember.

Hopefully IW and Volume 3 give us more great moments from her.

Eh, I think that's more an indication of how strong Groot is, rather than how tanky Drax isn't. After all, note that the only times we saw Groot meaningfully injured in the first movie involved either a giant space battleship crashing to earth, or Gamora's magic death sword ( and the latter didn't actually inflict serious harm, it just removed some limbs temporarily ).

I hope both Gamora and Drax get better action scenes in Vol.3... They both should be better fighters than we've seen so far.

I hope both Gamora and Drax get better action scenes in Vol.3... They both should be better fighters than we've seen so far.

They both need a really bad ass action moment, Drax especially

The "Garden of the Galaxy" line wasn't actually in the movie interestingly enough.

I thought I didn't hear that, but wasn't sure. Why did they cut that scene out?

They both need a really bad ass action moment, Drax especially
I wouldn't mind more moments, but how much does Gamora need? She kills the space monster at the start of Guardians 2 and walks around + firing a space cannon! More is fine by me, but people act like she hasn't gotten to do anything cool.

I wouldn't mind more moments, but how much does Gamora need? She kills the space monster at the start of Guardians 2 and walks around + firing a space cannon! More is fine by me, but people act like she hasn't gotten to do anything cool.

I've never understood that line of thought either. As far as the first film was concerned? Sure, I can definitely agree that Gamora didn't receive enough standout moments but the sequel, for me, rectified that issue completely. Like you said, it did so literally right off the bat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"