• Secure your account

    A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Wii's Short life cycle........

MaximumSpider

21st Son
Joined
Mar 9, 2001
Messages
248
Reaction score
0
Points
11
I'm definately going to be buying a wii on launch day but I was thinking and I think it will have the shortest lifecycle out of the three consoles. The average lifecycle of a console is 4 to 5 years i believe. As sucky as the price is the ps3 is future proof for at least 4 years. The thing about it, the more Hd becomes the standard and the cost of hd tv's come down. the more people are going to be buying 360's and ps3's while the wii is still perfecting the regular tv market. I think nintendo may release a new console 3 years after wii that has motion sensor controls and hd. Just a thought. What do you guys think. New Console by 2010?
 
I think the Wii will last as long as the Playstation 3 and the Xbox 360. Though I do think that the next console that Nintendo puts out will not only be innovative gameplay wise, but also on par with the Playstation 4 and the Xbox 720
 
Its possible. Your thinking of next-gen as a graphics upgrade though. Who says next-gen is only a graphics update? Why can't next gen be a gameplay upgrade?

So, the most future proof console, from looking at it like that... is most likely the Wii. Because the controls are 'next gen'.
 
MaximumSpider said:
I'm definately going to be buying a wii on launch day but I was thinking and I think it will have the shortest lifecycle out of the three consoles. The average lifecycle of a console is 4 to 5 years i believe. As sucky as the price is the ps3 is future proof for at least 4 years. The thing about it, the more Hd becomes the standard and the cost of hd tv's come down. the more people are going to be buying 360's and ps3's while the wii is still perfecting the regular tv market. I think nintendo may release a new console 3 years after wii that has motion sensor controls and hd. Just a thought. What do you guys think. New Console by 2010?

There is no such thing as 'Future Proof' All technology is outdated the moment it goes on sale.
 
You're assuming HD-DVD and/or Blu-Ray even catches on. They may very well be the next Betamax or Laserdisc. The only thing the Wii lacks is HD support, which is not a huge, important feature outside of the fanboy community.
 
Spidey-Bat said:
You're assuming HD-DVD and/or Blu-Ray even catches on. They may very well be the next Betamax or Laserdisc. The only thing the Wii lacks is HD support, which is not a huge, important feature outside of the fanboy community.

you're right, hd isn't that important. but you're still wrong, the only thing the wii lacks is the ability to compete with the other 2 next gen syestems graphically.

so, in response to the thread, yes. i think it will be outdated in about 3 years, maybe less. i just don't see how nintendo can keep people interested in waving their arms around for that long, there're only so many different things you can do with it. it's just not that interesting a feature, and without the graphics to back it up, it'll be all that more overlooked soon enough.

imagine how much better the eyetoy would have done if it's games hadn't looked like n64 titles... then apply that formula to the wii.
 
Mr. Credible said:
you're right, hd isn't that important. but you're still wrong, the only thing the wii lacks is the ability to compete with the other 2 next gen syestems graphically.

It really won't make enough of a difference to drastically shorten the Wii's life span.

so, in response to the thread, yes. i think it will be outdated in about 3 years, maybe less. i just don't see how nintendo can keep people interested in waving their arms around for that long, there're only so many different things you can do with it. it's just not that interesting a feature, and without the graphics to back it up, it'll be all that more overlooked soon enough.

I love it when people assume they've thought up of everything for the Wii controller. Everyone thinks of some different way to use the Wiimote when they look at it which makes it great. The Wii will have a long life not due to technology, but being able to provide something new with every new game. That's going to make people keep supporting it. Playing Twilight Princess is a completely different experience than playing Red Steel or Metroid Prime. That's what Nintendo is aiming for.

imagine how much better the eyetoy would have done if it's games hadn't looked like n64 titles... then apply that formula to the wii.

Comparing the Eye Toy and Wiimote is absolutely stupid. The Eye Toy was a piece of crap developed by Sony. It had what, 5 games that could use it, all of which sucked. It was an accessory no one wanted or needed and therefore no one cared about. The Wiimote is a completely different story. It's the main feature of the Wii and completely different in everyway, shape and form, from the Eye Toy. Unlike the Eye Toy, you can actually good, intereactive games with it.
 
MaximumSpider said:
I'm definately going to be buying a wii on launch day but I was thinking and I think it will have the shortest lifecycle out of the three consoles. The average lifecycle of a console is 4 to 5 years i believe. As sucky as the price is the ps3 is future proof for at least 4 years. The thing about it, the more Hd becomes the standard and the cost of hd tv's come down. the more people are going to be buying 360's and ps3's while the wii is still perfecting the regular tv market. I think nintendo may release a new console 3 years after wii that has motion sensor controls and hd. Just a thought. What do you guys think. New Console by 2010?

I think there's also the possibility that if Wii flops it could be their last stationary console.
 
I think the Wii will run it out. I think Nintendo's next console will need to be much, MUCH more powerful though. People will be tired of the "revolution" by the time the PS4 rolls out.
 
Mr. Credible said:
you're right, hd isn't that important. but you're still wrong, the only thing the wii lacks is the ability to compete with the other 2 next gen syestems graphically.

so, in response to the thread, yes. i think it will be outdated in about 3 years, maybe less. i just don't see how nintendo can keep people interested in waving their arms around for that long, there're only so many different things you can do with it. it's just not that interesting a feature, and without the graphics to back it up, it'll be all that more overlooked soon enough.

imagine how much better the eyetoy would have done if it's games hadn't looked like n64 titles... then apply that formula to the wii.

People said the same thing about the DS.
 
That's because they were expecting the PSP to be a worthwhile system.
 
WhatsHisFace said:
I think the Wii will run it out. I think Nintendo's next console will need to be much, MUCH more powerful though. People will be tired of the "revolution" by the time the PS4 rolls out.

The Wii is powerful enough now. Nintendo has never put power as the top priority in their systems. They want to provide something powerful but also affordable to anyone.

The PS4 may never see the light of day.
 
you honestly think the ps4 won't get made?

sony could lose a lot of ground, but sony isn't going broke.

as for the wii; yes it's powerful enough to look decent, but honestly, i find myself dissapointed after seeing some ps3/360 games.
 
The Riddler said:
you honestly think the ps4 won't get made?

sony could lose a lot of ground, but sony isn't going broke.

as for the wii; yes it's powerful enough to look decent, but honestly, i find myself dissapointed after seeing some ps3/360 games.
"S&P said. Sony's total debt stood at 6.71 trillion yen ($61 billion) on June 30. 2004"
link


And that was before they had to start taking huge losses on the PS3 hardware. Sony isn't going broke, they're already there :o



And why does this thread exist? Why would the Wii have a short life cycle? If anything, it'll have a longer life cycle than the 360 and PS3. As it's not competing with those two, and isn't trying to be the most graphically advanced system on the market, it isn't going to need to change up it's technology every 5-6 years like the other two, it could easily stay out for 8 years or more without a problem.
 
The Riddler said:
you honestly think the ps4 won't get made?

sony could lose a lot of ground, but sony isn't going broke.

If Blu-Ray tanks, Sony is definately going to lose a huge chunk of their money.

as for the wii; yes it's powerful enough to look decent, but honestly, i find myself dissapointed after seeing some ps3/360 games.

How can you say that? No Wii game will make full use of the system for years to come. The graphics look great IMO, but I couldn't care less since I'm not buying the system for it's visuals.
 
If Blu-Ray tanks, sony won't exist anymore, read the link I posted. They have more debt than Microsoft has excess money, if they don't win the format wars they have no way to pay their bills.
 
Sony will not go away, if this happens they will probably just file Bankruptcy and restructure. They still have many viable products produced. They are a major player in home electronics.
 
Maybe you didn't see the "b", they're 60 billion in debt. If Blu-Ray falls flat, Sony as we know it will cease to exist.
 
Galactus said:
I think there's also the possibility that if Wii flops it could be their last stationary console.


i doubt it. the way ds lite sells im pretty sure nintendo can last about oh i dunno 3-4 console generations.
 
AgentDenton said:
"S&P said. Sony's total debt stood at 6.71 trillion yen ($61 billion) on June 30. 2004"
link


And that was before they had to start taking huge losses on the PS3 hardware. Sony isn't going broke, they're already there :o



And why does this thread exist? Why would the Wii have a short life cycle? If anything, it'll have a longer life cycle than the 360 and PS3. As it's not competing with those two, and isn't trying to be the most graphically advanced system on the market, it isn't going to need to change up it's technology every 5-6 years like the other two, it could easily stay out for 8 years or more without a problem.


i would'nt go that far and say 8 years 5 tops. but eventually nintendo will have to update those graphics.
 
LongDong said:
Sony will not go away, if this happens they will probably just file Bankruptcy and restructure. They still have many viable products produced. They are a major player in home electronics.

not anymore, the ipod kicked them right in the nuts. thier computer department is barely hanging on. its about macs,hps,and dells.
 
AgentDenton said:
"S&P said. Sony's total debt stood at 6.71 trillion yen ($61 billion) on June 30. 2004"
link


And that was before they had to start taking huge losses on the PS3 hardware. Sony isn't going broke, they're already there :o



And why does this thread exist? Why would the Wii have a short life cycle? If anything, it'll have a longer life cycle than the 360 and PS3. As it's not competing with those two, and isn't trying to be the most graphically advanced system on the market, it isn't going to need to change up it's technology every 5-6 years like the other two, it could easily stay out for 8 years or more without a problem.

Be nice to see current numbers. Wonder if it changed much
 
In between then and now, they've had to fund the research of blu-ray and CELL, both of which have yet to make returns, and lost ground and face in the games market, so I doubt it's changed for the better. Even if by some miracle they made 20 billion in profit between then and now, that's still $40 billion of debt. That's more debt than Microsoft has money, still.
 
AgentDenton said:
And why does this thread exist? Why would the Wii have a short life cycle? If anything, it'll have a longer life cycle than the 360 and PS3. As it's not competing with those two, and isn't trying to be the most graphically advanced system on the market, it isn't going to need to change up it's technology every 5-6 years like the other two, it could easily stay out for 8 years or more without a problem.
It still needs to compete with shelf space. By the time the next systems come out, if Nintendo doesn't have something, the Wii isn't going to hold then. It can barely hold now.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"