Superman Returns Will Kal-El, AKA Superman don

echostation

Superhero
Reaction score
different garb and hats for example in the montage action scenes out of respect for other cultures?

I think it's a relevant question because of the bad political representation that America has out in the world right now... Even in the Superman Look up in the sky documentary, everyone talks about how he's PURELY American, raised on AMERICAN values and that might not fly so well with other cultures ESPECIALLY in the action montage sequences which shows him go across the world saving different things

So it begs the question, when saving Arabs in the middle east if there's a natural disaster, Will Superman don an Islamic skull-cap? As a sign of good will and respect to the community of over a billion people?

If they show him go to India will he be in more Kurtha South Asian style garb especially like Pavithra Prabharkar (the Indian peter parker with an Indianized version of the spidey outfit)?

It's a matter of respect to other cultures and I think Superman should be doing these things in the film to show acceptance, tolerance and respect for other cultures and not a sense of I'm here to Spread Americanism through violence under my God-like power which is what current US policy really is at the moment...

I'm saying this movie should act as a counterweight AGAINST The current political trouble that faces the foreign climate against the US. It should show scenes of him with respect to other cultures, spreading American values THROUGH INTEGRATION AND ACCEPTANCE... donning and wearing certain cultural garbs would be a huge help in this case, especially the Islamic Skull Cap should he visit Iraqis or show scenes of damage to the Pyramids or something like this for example.

[John McEnroe] You cannot be serious! [/John McEnroe]

You're placing far too much thought into this.

Serious? Me?

NEVAH! :joker:

I'm part pakistani and part indian, I have no religion in itself much like Superman but I do think it would be respectful of him to do so, especially when visiting other cultures, particularly the billion plus community of a religious people who believe they are the current target of a phobia... ~This movie could help mend those tensions by showing certain scenes of himin the action montages doing things to save them...

More importantly when the award him, much like in Superman III with the dark kryptonite, they could award him at a ceremony and there and then he could wear a skull cap or a form of Islamic garb to help promote that he is respectful and tolerant of other cultures and he appreciates it... he could even appase by humoring and saying into the mike if he's expected to talk talking about how comfortable it is

it's simple serious food for thought, nothing more... making a mockery during these times of tension is the last thing we need... Spider-man's blatan mis use of Sept 11 new yorkers was a total cheese fest, at least this film could take a step in the right direction and posit certain GLOBAL notions of heroes, by showing him wearing different guards or donning certain things to show he is accepting of other cultures as a GLOBAL icon.

echo, too many people would view that as a cheap stunt. I don't care to be hit over the head with a political message when I'm watching Superman. If he does visit other lands to make rescues, the fact that he's there making the rescue is enough proof of his respect. The universal respect of all cultures is implicit in the Superman character. That's why he acts globally. He's not obligated to do anything for anyone.

isnt it respect enough to go out and do good, and save lives of all types of people from all walks of life rather t han be biased in a decision to save who, where and when. And shouldn't such a person be given that same respect back by having the understanding that he comes from another culture and does not have to don other outfits to fit in. he's superman, its his culture, you dont see the people he saves quickly putting on their capes and red boots out of respect fort that do you?

:( :( :(

Thats exactly how this thread makes me feel.

I think the echostation has brought up a fair point. Don't dismiss it so quickly.

I don't think they will ever have Superman donning different garbs in the movies depending on which country he's in, but it does make you think how others would react to Superman being in their country (because he has been so clearly labelled as an American Icon)

Still think unknown actor works better for Superman than famous Hollywood star.

Routh is SUPERMAN!

Super Ludacris: "lol @ this thread"

Honestly he shouldnt have to. Yes, he was raised with American ideals BUT in the SR universe, his suit is Kryptonian created from Kryptonian Nano-tech by Jor-El......thus his costume isnt representing America...but Krypton.

And America's doing fine. Most other countries have bad politcal representations too... but Superman is American, and should stay that way.

BTW I dont think Superman needs to don an islamic Skull cap to visit that region. Ive seen enough American male visitors of that area, on TV, not required to do it. Its only the females that are required to cover their heads.....so if anything, Supergirl may have to.

Well he is breaking their mmigration laws every time he stops by. Maybe that's the least he could do to show respect?

echostation said:
I'm part pakistani and part indian, I have no religion in itself much like Superman but I do think it would be respectful of him to do so, especially when visiting other cultures, particularly the billion plus community of a religious people who believe they are the current target of a phobia... ~This movie could help mend those tensions by showing certain scenes of himin the action montages doing things to save them...

More importantly when the award him, much like in Superman III with the dark kryptonite, they could award him at a ceremony and there and then he could wear a skull cap or a form of Islamic garb to help promote that he is respectful and tolerant of other cultures and he appreciates it... he could even appase by humoring and saying into the mike if he's expected to talk talking about how comfortable it is

it's simple serious food for thought, nothing more... making a mockery during these times of tension is the last thing we need... Spider-man's blatan mis use of Sept 11 new yorkers was a total cheese fest, at least this film could take a step in the right direction and posit certain GLOBAL notions of heroes, by showing him wearing different guards or donning certain things to show he is accepting of other cultures as a GLOBAL icon.

Superman should submit to other religions just so not to offend people?

If you said that about a real person, then I would get annoyed.

You don't have to dress like another people to respect them. He should only do the kind of things you mentioned if it would be expected that everyone would.

If he visted somewhere in Japan where it's polite to remove one's shoes when entering a house - he'd do that. But he wouldn't wear a Kimono. He'd only do what any of us would be expected to. He's not going to be wearing any skullcaps.

If he changes clothes for every nation, religion, and ethnic group he encounters...he is not Superman:protector of the world at all times....but Superman:protector of (FILL IN THE BLANK) at this moment.

Which of these is more feasable -
Mother shouts - "Superman, save my baby from the burning building!"
or
Mother shouts - "Superman....please put on a yamaka before you save my baby from the burning building...otherwise I will just feel like you are a tool of the American Industrial Complex trying to undermine my religious freedom and sovernty because Bush is a tyrant!"

Maybe they could sell more toys? "Superman with turban wearing action!"

You know what shows respect? A culture and a people that don't expect other cultures to be just like them or adopt their value system. I can't really buy into any culture that demands short-term visitors to conform to their ways.

I think Superman would show himself as being a protector of everyone if he wears his own costume, not flags of the country he is saving at the very moment.

The Guard said:
You know what shows respect? A culture and a people that don't expect other cultures to be just like them or adopt their value system. I can't really buy into any culture that demands short-term visitors to conform to their ways.

. . . especially an ALIEN.

:up::up:

'nuff said.

echostation said:
I think it's a relevant question because of the bad political representation that America has out in the world right now... Even in the Superman Look up in the sky documentary, everyone talks about how he's PURELY American, raised on AMERICAN values and that might not fly so well with other cultures ESPECIALLY in the action montage sequences which shows him go across the world saving different things

Are you kidding? I hope so.

Anyway, if you watch that trailer, you will see RICHARD DONNER state that Superman is "universal".

And what's wrong with American values? If I go to another country, while I certainly will respect their ways, I will not abandon my American heritage just so I don't offend some narrow-minded individuals who stereotype.

Lucky Superman's not a woman or in certain Middle Eastern countries he'd have to wear a garment to cover the face.

I agree with what most people here have said. Superman was created in America, and was raised in America. He doesn't need to abandon his identity to save other, or to serve others. The very nature of Superman is that he stands for what America is supposed to stand for. People need to understand what things really mean. If Superman says he fights for "The American Way" it doesn't mean he fights for Oil or the furtherment of the USA, it means he fights for what "The American Way" is supposed to be, meaning life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, equal treatment for all citizens, so on, so forth....

I can understand anti-American sentiment, even as big a patriot as I am. But people don't need to be hurt by a character being so clearly an American icon, you'd have to be supremely narrow minded to be hurt by that. Things aren't so black and white; because he's an American icon and he fights for "The American Way" doesn't mean he's more loyal to the US than anybody, and it doesn't mean he will ignore others for America, and that doesn't mean if America does something wrong that he'll stand behind it. He fights for the American Way, even if America itself has lost sight of what that really is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"