Superman Returns Will the Superman II Donner Cut DVD explain the Lois/Superman Relationship for SR?

K

Kane

I'm wondering if Singer left elements from Superman II specifically vague to fit with Donner's own cut of the film (due out on DVD). He seems to respect Donner's views a great deal and Donner wasnt pleased with Lester's cut of Superman II.

Using a truckload of deleted scenes, Donner has been able to recreate Superman II in his own vision.

I have a feeling it may still have Superman and Lois becoming romantic in the FOS and Superman becoming a human just to be with Lois...

But the part that will likely/hopefully be cut out is Lois learning that Clark Kent is Superman. The bar scene will have to go also (as hes in his CK gear).

This way, the memory kiss will be cut out (something Donner hated) and there would be no reason to keep it.

It would be Superman having a relationship with Lois without her knowing about his civilian identity. She would still remember the relationship (just as in SR) at the end of the film.

It's possible,

BTW, after reading Returns prequel 4, Their something about Richard White that doesn't seem right Besides the fact that he just suddendly appears into Lois life . And pretty much sweep's her on her feet . Just Like Superman did in his first appearence . Not to mention he got a little bit of clark's presonality. Their's more to Richard White than meet's the eye .

In the movie he's a really nice guy. But in the comics their's something about him that doesn't seem right.

Kal-El 8 said:
BTW, after reading Returns prequel 4, Their something about Richard White that doesn't seem right Besides the fact that he just suddendly appears into Lois life . And pretty much sweep's her on her feet . Just Like Superman did in his first appearence . Not to mention he got a little bit of clark's presonality. Their's more to Richard White than meet's the eye .

I think they are just trying to show why she falls in love with him. He is liek a human version of Superman.

I don't think so. If I remember correctly, in the Donner version, there is no "amnesia kiss" and Lois knows Clark is Superman at the end.

Hes pretty much the human equivalent of Superman. She saw everything she saw in Superman's personality, everything she loved....in Richard.

They worked together for some time on that article and as she wrote it, she grew away from Supes and closer to him.

Lighthouse said:
I don't think so. If I remember correctly, in the Donner version, there is no "amnesia kiss" and Lois knows Clark is Superman at the end.

Ya I think they may leave that out of the DVD cut to coincide with the film.

Theres also new stuff being shot with a double for Chris Reeve from a distance just for the DVD.

I really hope it explains the history....and if Lois never learned Clark was Superman.....it makes alot of sense in SR's context.

Hey, that sounds great! I hope they do set it up to link up with Returns. I also hope we get an extended cut of SR on the dvd. That was my only complaint with Returns was that the trip to Krypton was gone as well as much of the smallville scenes.

Lighthouse said:

SON OF A ***** :eek: . I hope that's on the Superman II Donner Cut DVD .:supes:

We don't know all of exactly what Donner shot that wasn't used. They may have no choice but to leave the amnesia kiss in...which, IMO, was a very romantically melancholy way to end the movie. I always liked it.

If they leave alot of this stuff in, theres no use even calling it the Donner cut.

I think removing the CK/Supes identity reveal and removing the bar scene...

and then the memory kiss wont be needed...

Works perfectly.

I'd love to see the deleted footage they are adding back into it to compensate. The Jor-El scene sounds amazing.

Kane said:
I'm wondering if Singer left elements from Superman II specifically vague to fit with Donner's own cut of the film (due out on DVD). He seems to respect Donner's views a great deal and Donner wasnt pleased with Lester's cut of Superman II.

Using a truckload of deleted scenes, Donner has been able to recreate Superman II in his own vision.

I have a feeling it may still have Superman and Lois becoming romantic in the FOS and Superman becoming a human just to be with Lois...

But the part that will likely/hopefully be cut out is Lois learning that Clark Kent is Superman. The bar scene will have to go also (as hes in his CK gear).

This way, the memory kiss will be cut out (something Donner hated) and there would be no reason to keep it.

It would be Superman having a relationship with Lois without her knowing about his civilian identity. She would still remember the relationship (just as in SR) at the end of the film.

I think SR is a follow of Lesters Superman II because at the end of Donnors, Superman destroys the fortress of Solitude so something like SR could no happen.

That may not be in Donner's cut. I doubt the Fortress being destroyed was even filmed.

it was filmed and I have seen it. Basically he does not kill the three villains but they loose there powers and are arrested. SUperman destroys the fortress with his eyes. You can find it on Youtube, and that ending has been played on some TV stations with Superman II.

I don't think Superman Returns will have any bearing on how Michael Thau edits and puts together The Donner Cut of Superman II. I believe he is using the original shooting script that Richard Donner was using at the time for the sequel and notes from Donner himself. In the script, Lois still found out Clark was Superman, just in a different way. She tricked him into revealing his true identity by shooting a gun with blanks at him, instead of Clark tripping over the rug and falling into the fire. Also, the ending from STM was originally supposed to be the ending for II, that's how Donner intended Lois to forget the truth about Clark/Superman.

While shooting the first film, I believe it was Richard Lester (he was a Producer on the first film) who convinced Donner at the time to use the turning back time endiing for the first film instead, to give it more of an emotional impact. Having Lois die because Superman didn't get to her in time, and ignoring Jor-El's warning not to interfere in human history by turning back time and bringing her back. As we all know, Donner never had a chance to finish II, so we'll never know how he originally was gonna end II after he used it's ending for the first film. It will be interesting to see how Michael Thau handles this on The Donner Cut DVD.

Another interesting thing is, in the original shooting script for Donner's Superman II, Lois and Clark never slept together in the FOS. In the script, after Clark gives up his powers to be with Lois, the next time we see them is on the road heading towards the diner.

Kane said:
If they leave alot of this stuff in, theres no use even calling it the Donner cut.

Well, Donner only completed about 75-80% of the film. So, there will still be about 20-25% of Richard Lester in the film. So, it isn't EXACTLY a 100% Donner Cut.

I think removing the CK/Supes identity reveal and removing the bar scene...

and then the memory kiss wont be needed...

Works perfectly.

Why are Earth would they remove the CK/Supes identity reveal and the bar (Diner) scene? Do you know anything about Donner's version. To begin with, the diner scene WAS ACTUALLY filmed by Richard Donner. He even has a quick cameo in the scene. Secondly, the reveal was in Donner's version, but different. You can see his version on the Superman SE DVD in the screen test section.

I'd love to see the deleted footage they are adding back into it to compensate. The Jor-El scene sounds amazing.

It should be amazing!

does anybody even remember what are the Donner scenes that didnt make it to S2?

i remember there was a Singer interview where there was a "bootleg copy" (his words) of Donner's scenes. something about a gun?.... or something like that.

it would be great to see those scenes :up:

Catman said:
Why are Earth would they remove the CK/Supes identity reveal and the bar (Diner) scene? Do you know anything about Donner's version. To begin with, the diner scene WAS ACTUALLY filmed by Richard Donner. He even has a quick cameo in the scene. Secondly, the reveal was in Donner's version, but different. You can see his version on the Superman SE DVD in the screen test section.

Remove the reveal scene so it ties into SR with Lois not knowing Superman is Clark Kent (no memory kiss)

Remove the bar scene because it shows Superman dressed as Clark Kent with Lois romantically (making it appear the identity was revealed).

I didnt really like that whole scene anyways, especially when he returned at the end and kicked the guy's ass. I didnt think Supes would want revenge.

Im sure they could find another way for it to appear that Superman and Lois become aware of Zod's presense on Earth.....thats really the only major thing that scene offers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"