Will you get rid of your PS2/3/4?

Discussion in 'Sony' started by Leo Zelinsky, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Leo Zelinsky

Leo Zelinsky Mutie

If the rumors of PS5 being completely backwards compatible are true?

2. Jick

Jick Auxiliary Assistant

I couldn't even get rid of the PS1, and my PS2 is backwards compatible.
    I still have all four and I just can't see myself doing that.

#2 Jick, Apr 12, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    Spidey17 likes this.
  3. Leo Zelinsky

Leo Zelinsky Mutie

I have alot of PS2 games but the games look very bad on my newer TV. I'm looking forward to PS2 games while using a HDMI

4. psylockolussus

psylockolussus Spice Mutant

5. Mandon Knight

Mandon Knight NCC-1701

I think it's a disgrace Sony haven't made the previous entries backwards compatible anyway, I know why obviously, the green stuff, but if I was able to still play PS4 on a PS5 then I'd trade yep. I ain't got the room for multi-versions of gaming equipment.

6. psylockolussus

I just put mine in the stock room. Its sad throwing them in the trash.

LightDaggers likes this.
  7. Mandon Knight

Mandon Knight NCC-1701

8. X Knight

X Knight Hope

well, at least now I know I can trade in my PS4 towards the PS5, but still be able to keep my PS4 games.

hopefully Sony will be able to bring full BC with PS1-PS3 games as well. that would be sublime.

I no longer own any of those old consoles or games, but there are quite a few classic PS1-3 games that I'd like to play again or never completed or never had the chance to play. It would be nice if PS5 could finally be the one PS console to play all PS games!

9. spiderman2

spiderman2 Registered

I never had a ps1 or 2 was more into Nintendo back than. I still love Nintendo but I got into sony with ps3 and ps4. It depends if ps5 can play all ps1-ps4 games and you dont lose like dlc and such than yes I would trade it in might has well get a few dollars for them has there is no point in having ps3 and ps4 if I can just play them on ps5. Its just more adware laying around and more things to have to connect and un connect. I have snes, gamecube, wii, wii u, switch, ps3 and ps4 consoles and I am starting to run out of space for stuff has I always keep my old games/consoles has I like to go back and play older games from time to time. That is 7 consoles and I also have cable and a soundbar and a 4k player so like 10 things I connect with hdmi. I have a converter for the older systems has my tv dont have the older connection inputs. So 9 things and only have like 4 HDMI inputs so I always have to unplug and replug stuff. The less I have to plug and unplug stuff the better. If ps5 can play ps4 and ps3 and also you can keep your dlc and also can play 4k bluray movies than I could get read of ps3, ps4 and 4k bluray player so I have 3 less things to connect and save money. I known ps5 can play ps4 games but we dont known about ps3 yet and I also dont known how stuff works if its like user contenct that is with a game where the services has been shut down if there would be a way to keep that going forward on ps5. For example modnation racers a great game on ps3 that I would love to see a sequel of on ps5 you can down load people tracks and karts but the server has been shut down so no way to redownlad stuff. So would you be able to some how save that type of stuff? Or drive club and its dlc on ps4 later this year its getting pulled so next year if you get ps5 would there be a way to save that dlc so you dont lose it when playin it on ps5?

10. X Knight

X Knight Hope

I hope PS4 BC on PS5 includes disc and not just digital.

if there's PS1-3 BC, I hope that's disc based, too.

11. psylockolussus

A lot of people still buy discs for the consoles, they would piss a lot of people that bought a physical copy and only let the digital copies to be playable with the ps5.

12. X Knight

X Knight Hope

agreed. if BC is digital only, it would also kill any goodwill this announcement got from me. and if next Xbox has both physical and digital BC with Xbox 1, 360, and OG Xbox games, that could shift me back towards next Xbox.

I mean, I would accept digital only BC for PS1 and PS2 games, provided Sony converts the majority of those games to digital and make them available on the PSN Store. I'd still prefer disc BC, but some of those older titles can be hard to find or really expensive. So digital could be convenient in that case. But I'd still prefer owning the discs and adding them to my library/collection.

but for PS3 and definitely for PS4, I want disc BC.

13. shinlyle

shinlyle King of the Haters

Okay, I JUST got a PS4, so the thought of buying a PS5 makes me want to throw up a little bit...but when they announce Spider-Man 2, I will buy it...and I will either sell the PS4, or it'll go to the bedroom or one of the kids' rooms.

14. psylockolussus

I haven't really played ps in the majority of the 2000s, then I got ps4 pro in 2017 but I only started buying games since last year I think maybe August. Right now, I have 20+ games, all in discs, and that don't seem a lot but I plan to buy at least ten more games this year. It would be a huge help if the ps4 discs can be played with the ps5.

15. spiderman2

spiderman2 Registered

While you did get into ps4 later I mean it has been out for like about 5.5 years now. I think ps5 will be 2020 and spiderman 2 on it in 2021 so like a year maybe a year and a half after ps5 comes out I think spiderman 2 will come out depending on if ps5 is late 2020 or early has I think spiderman 2 will be like later part of 2021.

16. shinlyle

shinlyle King of the Haters

Well, I know I was late to the party. I have my XboxOne, and, despite my love of games, I rarely play anything anymore. For the next gen, Spidey will probably pull me on over to team PS.

17. Fading

Fading ---

I like to hand off older consoles to family members. This time I think I'll just give my PS4 to my Mom. To use for streaming, and as a BR player. She's been into Netflix more, and more. She has a Smart TV, but no BR player. She may never use it, but that's what I'm thinking ATM.

Overall, I probably won't keep my PS4 for myself. It lasted me the whole gen, and is still in good shape. But the PS5 is looking decently more powerful, and with backwards compatibility with the PS4, it just means the PS4 will be taking up space. I couldn't see a reason to turn it back on post PS5.

Spidey17 and psylockolussus like this.
  18. X Knight

X Knight Hope

yeah, if PS5 offers FULL PS4 BC at least ( and not just select games like Xbox One ), then there really would be no reason to use a PS4 by then. might as well give it away to family/friends, use it in another room, or sell/trade it in towards the PS5.

unless we find the PS5 is lacking in some areas compared to the PS4. which I hope not.......lol

19. Iceman

Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Full BC (going back to PS1) is the most important thing for me from Sony and Nintendo (back to NES) consoles.

20. X Knight

X Knight Hope

that would be ideal.

I would have used my Switch more if it had a Virtual Console with all the VC NES and SNES games that were on the Wii U VC.

I hope Sony can do full BC with PS1-4 games. if they announce that as a PS5 feature, I think that would seal the deal for me on which next gen console to get. That would be like a "Shut Up and Take my Money" deal.......lol

that's also why I'm not a fan of these "classic" or "mini" consoles that have released in recent years. Sure, you get to play classic games, but the consoles are "closed" systems with a set # of games. Outside of hacking, you can't add more games to those consoles.

Plus, each mini/classic console means another device you have to hook up to your TV - which only have a finite # of HDMI ports ( usually 4 ). So that means those consoles compete for limited TV port space with all the other devices you have hooked up. And they compete for real estate on your media shelf/cabinet.

That's why it would be nice if we could play all those classic games on the main consoles of the generation. instead of having to hook up multiple other devices to do so.

#20 X Knight, Apr 19, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  21. WereCoyote

WereCoyote Registered

If they go with full backward compatibility I will buy it Day 1, and the first retro game I will replay is the old Sopranos game. I know its probably not a game most of you think about but I love me some mafia style shooter games haha.

22. Mandon Knight

Mandon Knight NCC-1701

If it's full backwards compatibility to previous PS's, I will be fuming given that I've sold on all my previous incarnations plus games, bar obviously my PS4 'stock'. If the opportunity to play some of the great PS2 games has gone, I'll be well dis-chuffed.

23. TheWallCrawler

TheWallCrawler hero or a menace?

ps2 is long gone, I actually dont even remember how I got rid of it. Ps3 broke about a year ago by itself. My first ps4 got stolen in a house party my sister had. Now my sister no longer has a key and I got a new shiny ps4 pro. If I get a ps5 I will sell the ps4 pro, since I didn't get attached to any ps4 generation game and ps5 is apparently backwards compatible anyway

24. Spider-Aziz

Spider-Aziz Not the Voice You Know

I'll rephrase your question the way I see it; "Will you get rid of all the save data you worked years of your life to collect?"

My answer is no.

Spidey17 likes this.
  25. X Knight

X Knight Hope

yeah, transferring save data from PS1 and PS2 games will be an obvious issue. since they used those Memory Cards and Playstation accounts and cloud saves weren't a thing back then.

I can't remember but how did PS3 handle BC with PS1 save data? could your transfer PS1 saves to the PS3?

I remember PS3 created a "virtual memory card" to store the PS1 saves. but I don't recall if you could transfer prior PS1 saves to the PS3.