World's Strongest Man

HammerDown

“Do not, my friends, become addicted to water...“
Reaction score
WSMlogo.gif

Decided to create this thread because this stuff was something that fascinated me when i was a kid and now a few years later i feel almost drawn to it again with so many great competitions, competitors and insane feats of strength.

Really looking forward to the 2019 Arnold Strongman Classic.

Last edited:
I used to love watching strongest man as a kid, was always on over Christmas/New Year if i remember? Always used to be dominated by the Scandinavians, Magnusson, Karlsson etc... now, it's eastern Europeans. Mariusz Pudzianowski was a freak. Incidentally, he's now in mma.

Yeh Mariusz Pudzianowski was an absolute beast and the one i followed the most.
Now is Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson aka "The Mountain" from GOT that really draws my attention.

Yeh Mariusz Pudzianowski was an absolute beast and the one i followed the most.
Now is Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson aka "The Mountain" from GOT that really draws my attention.

As absurd as it sounds, I'd forgotten he was competing in strongman. Wasn't it him that set the new world record for the barrel throw recently?

WSMlogo.gif

Decided to create this thread because this stuff was something that fascinated me when i was a kid and now a few years later i feel almost drawn to it again with so many great competitions, competitors and insane feats of strength.

Really looking forward to the 2019 Arnold Strongman Classic.

Same here watched Eddie's Hall's doc then after that watched Born Strong which follow's Hall, Shaw, Bjornsson, and Zydrunas as they all compete for the the 2016 Arnold Strongman Classic.

The only thing I wish they were at little more honest about was the steroids (pretty sure it wasn't mentioned once in either doc:funny:), I know its the little taboo of the sport but everyone knows and some younger strongmen might benefit from the advice.

I used to love watching strongest man as a kid, was always on over Christmas/New Year if i remember? Always used to be dominated by the Scandinavians, Magnusson, Karlsson etc... now, it's eastern Europeans. Mariusz Pudzianowski was a freak. Incidentally, he's now in mma.

Žydrūnas Savickas is something else, he never gets mentioned but the dude is quite possibly the best to ever do it. Even his physique is deceiving.

As absurd as it sounds, I'd forgotten he was competing in strongman. Wasn't it him that set the new world record for the barrel throw recently?
Yep i think you're right on that. I didn't know he had done it.

You guys gotta check this video out of Hafþór in his gym in Iceland surrounded by his crew.
He does a personal record in preparation for the ASC. And it seems like he has more in the tank, he said it himself that he was going to attempt something even bigger at the event. His crew hyping him up takes the whole thing to another level.

Yep i think you're right on that. I didn't know he had done it.

Incredible this is one of my favourite's he has done, apparently an old Viking record, literally looks like something you'd see a superhero do.

Oddly I just came across this on facebook couldn't help but laugh:funny:

I don’t think I’d want to take him on right now.

I don’t think I’d want to take him on right now.
I wonder how his strongman skills are transferable to MMA? He's lost a lot of his mass & bulk, I wonder if he had natural fighting ability, as just being strong wouldn't have helped much for MMA.

You guys gotta check this video out of Hafþór in his gym in Iceland surrounded by his crew.
He does a personal record in preparation for the ASC. And it seems like he has more in the tank, he said it himself that he was going to attempt something even bigger at the event. His crew hyping him up takes the whole thing to another level.

Jesus. Did you see how much that bar bend in the middle? The guy is insane!

I wonder how his strongman skills are transferable to MMA? He's lost a lot of his mass & bulk, I wonder if he had natural fighting ability, as just being strong wouldn't have helped much for MMA.
Strength is an asset but the strength of being able to lift heavy objects isn’t the type of strength you need in excess for MMA. He would have had to retrain (possibly part of why he lost a lot of the bulk) and as you say it would be surprising if he did well without any previous background at all.

Jesus. Did you see how much that bar bend in the middle? The guy is insane!
Yeh Thor is a beast. Also that amount of bend is a particular characteristic on the elephant bar. Some say that it's actually easier to lift bigger amounts because of that. Then again others say that it's a much more difficult bar to control and that it pushes you forward so you gotta compensate that.

Live!

Event 1: Rogue Elephant Bar Deadlift (3:00-4:15pm EST)
Rogue Record Breaker $50K Deadlift Challenge to follow
Event 2: Husafell Stone Carry (4:15-5:15pm EST)

Last edited:
Congrats to 2019 Arnold Strongman Classic Winner Hafthor Bjornsson

Got a feeling we could be in the Bjornsson era now, the man looks like he's just starting to peak.

BEAST!!!!

he's only 30. wow, can't wait to see what he accomplishes next

This guy looks insane. That bar is really struggling to hold all that weight on. :D:

Today we have the Europe Strongest Man competition in Leeds.

*ATHLETE'S CONFIRMED* Say hello to the GIANTS joining us for EUROPE’S STRONGEST MAN 2019, featuring the WORLD LOG LIFT CHALLENGE! Strongman line-ups really don’t come much better than this!

Georgian BULL
Mark Felix
Tom Stoltman - Strongman
Mateusz Kieliszkowski
Adam Bishop
Mikhail Shivlyakov
Luke "The Highland Oak" Stoltman - Strongman
Laurence Shahlaei
Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson - The Mountain

...and there’s MORE! Not only that, but the show will also feature the biggest and best pressers from around the World for Event 1: The World Log Lift Challenge!

Joining us for the WORLD LOG LIFT CHALLENGE are...

Graham Hicks
IRON Biby
Pro Strongman Rob Kearney
Robert Oberst
Brian Shaw

PLUS! Wildcard athlete, Larry Wheels!

The 5 challenges facing these World-leading athlets have been confirmed and include a BRAND NEW event for 2019 - The Pillars of Hercules!

Event 1: World Log Lift Challenge
Event 2: Giant 350KG Axle Deadlift
Event 3: Tyre Flip and Chain Drag
Event 4: Pillars of Hercules
Event 5: Atlas Stones

WHO can break the log press WORLD RECORD? CAN anyone take the European crown from Thor? There’s only one way to find out!

Show timings:

3pm - doors open for V-VIP pre-show talk

3.30pm - doors open for VIP and all other tickets

5pm – Show start

Giants Live

The World Strongest Man finally has his Youtube channel producing quality content.
Great for the sport to have people like Hafthor, Brian Shaw, Martins Licis, Larry Wheels... all putting out strongman stuff. It just automatically raises the visibility and general importance of the sport into bigger heights.

BRADENTON-WSM-BANNER.jpg

World Strongest Man 2019

GROUP 1
HAFTHOR JULIUS BJORNSSON (ISL)
RAFFAEL GORDZIELIK (GER)
ROB KEARNEY (USA)
ZAKE MULUZI (GBR)
LUKE STOLTMAN (GBR)

GROUP 2
ADAM BISHOP (GBR)
SIGFUS FOSSDAL (ISL)
KONSTANTINE JANASHIA (GEO)
ROBERT OBERST (USA)
ANDREAS STAHLBERG (SWE)

GROUP 3
MARTINS LICIS (USA)
MIKHAIL SHIVLYAKOV (RUS)
AIVARS SMAUKSTELIS (LAT)
TOM STOLTMAN (GBR)
EDDIE WILLIAMS (AUS)

GROUP 4
JF CARON (CAN)
KEVIN FAIRES (USA)
MATEUSZ KIELISZKOWSKI (POL)
OLE MARTIN KRISTIANSEN (NOR)
LAURENCE SHAHLAEI (GBR)

GROUP 5
MARK FELIX (GBR)
TREY MITCHELL (USA)
OLEKSII NOVIKOV (UKR)
BRIAN SHAW (USA)
GERHARD VAN STADEN (RSA)
E V E N T S
QUALIFYING ROUND
EVENT 1
MONSTER TRUCK PULL

EVENT 2
GIANTS MEDLEY – SUPER YOKE & FARMERS WALK

EVENT 3
DEADLIFT – REPS

EVENT 4
OVERHEAD PRESS – REPS

EVENT 5
LAST MAN STANDING

FINAL

EVENT 1
LOADING RACE

EVENT 2
DEADLIFT – HOLD

EVENT 3
OVERHEAD PRESS – MEDLEY

EVENT 4
SQUAT LIFT – REPS

EVENT 5
ATLAS STONES
Qualifying Round

June 13 (9AM – 3PM)
Old Main Street, Downtown Bradenton

June 14 (9AM – 2PM)
Coquina Beach, Anna Maria Island

June 15 (9AM – 1PM)
Manatee Public Beach, Anna Maria Island

Final

June 16 (8AM – 6PM)
Manatee Public Beach, Anna Maria Island

Robert Oberst was on JRE if anyone fancies a listen

Can't say I had heard of the guy previously but strongman Rob Kearney was on Rogan recently, just finished listening to it guy is really likeable. Plus he's the only openly gay strongman there is which was interesting to hear about as id imagined that would be possibly one of the most stereotypical manly things you can do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"