Xochitl Gomez as America Chavez

She honestly didn't do anything for me, was just kind of there and spend large portions of the movie restricted in some way. Xochitl may be a good actor, idk, she wasn't given much to do here other than suddenly gaining the ability to throw haymakers at Scarlet Witch.

It's almost as if they wanted to follow the "spark" pep talk from Into the Spider Verse with none of the work put in to earn it

A more gradual build-up of some sort. It took Luke three whole movies to figure out how to become a Jedi and IMO, that sort of drawn-out character growth is lost in films these days. I'm not saying this needs to be a trilogy, but because the MCU is all about pumping out quantity over quality now, shortcuts are being taken.

Star Wars is a weak example as the first film ended with Luke nailing a 1 in a million shot after a pep talk from his ghost friend.

She did a good job at embodying the role of a less-confident America still figuring out her powers, and you can see the sparks of the version we know in love in the moments where she isn't on the run for her life. She was basically a MacGuffin here, so not amazing material to work with, but I'm looking forward to getting more of her.

America's next appearance should be in Deadpool 3.

The possibilities are endless. Deadpool is already playing around with timelines, etc. She would fit the theme so well.

Thinking about it, I have a feeling for some reason that she'd have pretty good chemistry with Negasonic Teenage Warhead. Maybe have Yukio tag along as well. And they could have Vanessa's status as a variant (I mean technically she would be, based on MCU rules) cause the group to get mixed up with the TVA and Kang, which would be what brings them to the MCU.

Deadpool, upon noticing all of his teammates are women: "Well this movie's definitely gonna pass the bechdel test."

One of the first things I realized after seeing the movie is that Marvel technically beat DC with having the first live-action Latino superhero.

But since her character was pretty much downplayed in the marketing, and being Latino actually defines Blue Beetle's character, I'm guessing Blue Beetle will be the bigger movie for the Latino community.

One of the first things I realized after seeing the movie is that Marvel technically beat DC with having the first live-action Latino superhero.

But since her character was pretty much downplayed in the marketing, and being Latino actually defines Blue Beetle's character, I'm guessing Blue Beetle will be the bigger movie for the Latino community.
She's the first female in the MCU but she's not the first Marvel latino superhero. Fox already did it with Sunspot in DOFP and New Mutants and since Disney owns that, they retroactively did that. Besides, they already had a latino Ghost Rider in Agents of SHIELD, so thats another live action latino superhero

I really liked America. I thought Xochitl Gomez was great in the role as the new girl, even though she wasn’t given the strongest material, and her power was done really great visually. Can’t wait to see more of her.

Really liked her also. I thought Gomez did a good job of making her likeable and she was essentially the heart of the movie.

We have all been that scared teen who didn't believe in themselves.

I really enjoyed her and her powers. She’s not yet the confident, bad arse version we’re accustomed to but for all the concerns I heard about her being a ‘plot device’ or ‘underwritten’ were unfounded, for me. She was developed enough, and I bought that pep talk because I took it to mean that she actually already had some form of control over her powers in her subconscious (the portals getting her where she needed to go); she just needed to manifest that consciously and actively. Without giving it away, I loved the bit that she was kind of suppressing her powers due to linking to what happened with the first time in her past.

So to me, it was earned.

I really enjoyed her and her powers. She’s not yet the confident, bad arse version we’re accustomed to but for all the concerns I heard about her being a ‘plot device’ or ‘underwritten’ were unfounded, for me. She was developed enough, and I bought that pep talk because I took it to mean that she actually already had some form of control over her powers in her subconscious (the portals getting her where she needed to go); she just needed to manifest that consciously and actively. Without giving it away, I loved the bit that she was kind of suppressing her powers due to linking to what happened with the first time in her past.

And also the punches were expanded on from the moment she realised she could punch the cage glass. That was her growing in confidence; I just don’t think it came out of nowhere.

So to me, it was earned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"