Xochitl Gomez as America Chavez

All the Strange’s she’s met in the Multiverse and not one told her to just “trust herself” with her power?:(

But I didn’t mind her. They don’t push her in the ads and we get just enough to her to keep the story going forward.

I liked her in this movie. I had come in expecting (based on my brief read thru of her Marvel Comics Wiki Page): teen girl from another dimension who has two mothers, and travels through portals. One of my biggest pet peeves of the MCU is too many people with the same powers without any differences either aesthetically or an additional power that makes them different than the original.

I liked the fact that her portals were star shaped, which was different than the regular circle portals we see from Strange and Wong. It's that aesthetic difference to me that make me not mind her power set being similar to Strange and Wong.

I also don't mind Strange and Wong having the same powers because Strange wears a cape and Wong doesn't. Likewise, I didn't mind Bucky and Steve being super soldiers because Bucky has a bionic arm as well (and for a while long hair) making him different than Steve without making significant changes. I am not one of those who demands wholesale changes to characters with the same powers, just small subtle changes. With Abomination, he's grey and has spikes so that makes him different than the Hulk in terms of aesthetics. That I don't mind. This only applies to those who are enhanced not everybody in the MCU. Like I didn't mind Clint Barton and Kate Bishop having the same abilities. That I am fine with. There are people in real life with similar abilities.

I thought Gomez was ok. Felt her acting was a little forced at times but in absolute fairness I'm not sure if that had more to do with Raimi's style. He has this way with filming that can make it hard for the actor to not come off a little stilted. Olsen, McAdams and Cumberbatch manage to give great performances but I attribute that to their experience. Plus the film underutilized America despite how much screentime she had. It felt like at times the film just treated her as a plot device or an exposition dump.

I do however very much like America, and I really want to like Gomez in the role so I hope we see her again.

Last edited:
I liked her in this movie. I had come in expecting (based on my brief read thru of her Marvel Comics Wiki Page): teen girl from another dimension who has two mothers, and travels through portals. One of my biggest pet peeves of the MCU is too many people with the same powers without any differences either aesthetically or an additional power that makes them different than the original.

I liked the fact that her portals were star shaped, which was different than the regular circle portals we see from Strange and Wong. It's that aesthetic difference to me that make me not mind her power set being similar to Strange and Wong.

I also don't mind Strange and Wong having the same powers because Strange wears a cape and Wong doesn't. Likewise, I didn't mind Bucky and Steve being super soldiers because Bucky has a bionic arm as well (and for a while long hair) making him different than Steve without making significant changes. I am not one of those who demands wholesale changes to characters with the same powers, just small subtle changes. With Abomination, he's grey and has spikes so that makes him different than the Hulk in terms of aesthetics. That I don't mind. This only applies to those who are enhanced not everybody in the MCU. Like I didn't mind Clint Barton and Kate Bishop having the same abilities. That I am fine with. There are people in real life with similar abilities.
I agree totally. I don’t mind similar powers at all (and it can be fun to see characters with similar powers team up) as long as there is a small differentiator in there somewhere.

to be fair
opening portals to travel within your own world/universe{only with the use of a sling ring} is different then being able to opening inter-dimensional rift as a natural ability/power... but I get what your saying strictly from a visual POV, that they at least made it look different enough

I agree totally. I don’t mind similar powers at all (and it can be fun to see characters with similar powers team up) as long as there is a small differentiator in there somewhere.

The only time I will accept people with the exact same powers without any small differences: if they are variants of the same character, such as the case with Loki. I didn't mind Hiddleston playing many versions of the same character at the same time. Likewise, if I see four different Jonathan Majors with the same set of powers, I know it's basically versions of Kang. That I don't mind. I didn't mind them introducing different versions of Loki played by different actors either. It was the main issue I had with Falcon and the Winter Soldier. None of the super soldiers introduced had anything that stood out from Steve Rogers, except Isaiah Bradley because Isaiah is an old man and the Steve Rogers we're used to seeing is a young man.

That is also one of my biggest fears with She Hulk. From what I have read about Titania: she is another super soldier. I have also read that She Hulk will introduce
Wrecking Crew and eventually Skaar. Now I read that Skaar does carry a big sword with him and if the MCU version of the character does as well, I am cool with that because it makes him different than original Hulk.

Although, Strange, Mordo, America, Wanda and Wong all have similar powers, they are also different as well. As I said, Strange wears a cape and Wong doesn't. Wanda has psoinic powers like telepathy and mental manipulation, which Strange and Wong cannot do, at least not to the extent that Wanda can do. Mordo (at least the MCU version) can absorb magic. And of course
America's star shape portals, compared to Strange and Wong's portals, which are round
Now with WandaVision, I didn't mind Wanda and Agatha having the same powers, as I looked at the color of their magic as Wanda is red and Agatha is purple.

to be fair
opening portals to travel within your own world/universe{only with the use of a sling ring} is different then being able to opening inter-dimensional rift as a natural ability/power... but I get what your saying strictly from a visual POV, that they at least made it look different enough

Yes, I was referring to visually

I can see a Disney+ Original America Chavez. Perhaps a prequel series.

That would be a cool idea. It would be like the MCU version of Sliders.

Actually, it was kind of a missed opportunity not to introduce the the multiverse with a series about her instead of "What If".

Loved her, can’t wait for her to pop up in young avengers

I bought her as a scared teen who has yet to learn to control her powers (she'd fit right in with the X-Men that way), but I found the moment when she does get them under control to be kinda, "Huh?"

All it took was a pep talk from Strange and suddenly everything lines up for her? Like...oooooook?

Same. Liked her character and personality. But the pep talk didn’t feel earned.

I bought her as a scared teen who has yet to learn to control her powers (she'd fit right in with the X-Men that way), but I found the moment when she does get them under control to be kinda, "Huh?"

All it took was a pep talk from Strange and suddenly everything lines up for her? Like...oooooook?

Same. Liked her character and personality. But the pep talk didn’t feel earned.

How would you guys have done it differently?

I feel like action movie climaxes always run into the same basic problem. You either have to break up the action to have the hero escape and go train or prepare a crazy plan or whatever, or you use a variation of the heroic sprit trope.

Th pep talk scene just came off cheesy but maybe they were going for that. They had her smile,clinched fist, Strange winks and smiles, and back to clinch fist. I did laugh when I saw it.

She was pretty good in the pizza scene and the Strange throwing up reaction was really good.

Honestly, my read on the "pep talk" scene is that. . . essentially, it wasn't the pep talk itself that mattered for her achieving control. It was that America reached a point where she was freely willing to sacrifice her own life ( because she fully believed that this was necessary to save the day ), and then Dr Strange, the person she had conceived up to this point as "a ruthless bastard who will do whatever it takes" is telling her "I trust you". Her issue was ultimately that she viewed herself as a sidekick, someone with no control living at the whims of outside people and powers.

How would you guys have done it differently?

I feel like action movie climaxes always run into the same basic problem. You either have to break up the action to have the hero escape and go train or prepare a crazy plan or whatever, or you use a variation of the heroic sprit trope.

A more gradual build-up of some sort. It took Luke three whole movies to figure out how to become a Jedi and IMO, that sort of drawn-out character growth is lost in films these days. I'm not saying this needs to be a trilogy, but because the MCU is all about pumping out quantity over quality now, shortcuts are being taken.

The only time I will accept people with the exact same powers without any small differences: if they are variants of the same character, such as the case with Loki. I didn't mind Hiddleston playing many versions of the same character at the same time. Likewise, if I see four different Jonathan Majors with the same set of powers, I know it's basically versions of Kang. That I don't mind. I didn't mind them introducing different versions of Loki played by different actors either. It was the main issue I had with Falcon and the Winter Soldier. None of the super soldiers introduced had anything that stood out from Steve Rogers, except Isaiah Bradley because Isaiah is an old man and the Steve Rogers we're used to seeing is a young man.

That is also one of my biggest fears with She Hulk. From what I have read about Titania: she is another super soldier. I have also read that She Hulk will introduce
Wrecking Crew and eventually Skaar. Now I read that Skaar does carry a big sword with him and if the MCU version of the character does as well, I am cool with that because it makes him different than original Hulk.

Although, Strange, Mordo, America, Wanda and Wong all have similar powers, they are also different as well. As I said, Strange wears a cape and Wong doesn't. Wanda has psoinic powers like telepathy and mental manipulation, which Strange and Wong cannot do, at least not to the extent that Wanda can do. Mordo (at least the MCU version) can absorb magic. And of course
America's star shape portals, compared to Strange and Wong's portals, which are round
Now with WandaVision, I didn't mind Wanda and Agatha having the same powers, as I looked at the color of their magic as Wanda is red and Agatha is purple.
Yep, any small difference can be enough. But not having it takes away all the variety. The flag smashers were absolutely boring drones and even their leader was a boring drone.

America's next appearance should be in Deadpool 3.

The possibilities are endless. Deadpool is already playing around with timelines, etc. She would fit the theme so well.

I hope they integrate her in other MCU projects outside of Doctor Strange.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"