XP Guest Accounts: How to set permissions?

Crooklyn

Sidekick
Reaction score
Usually I have many people over at the house using my comp, so I figured it'd be easier to just open the guest account and let them use that. However, for some reason Guests can access any part of the computer and change stuff around.

As an administrator, how do I prevent this? I only want them to access the internet (since that's the only thing they go to anyway) and desktop, and it'd be great if the ability to access the My Computer or even Start menu would be disabled.

Anyone know?

Guests can run programs but they can't modify system settings or view other user's files. Your system is configured badly if the Guest account can view an admin's files.

You can restrict the Start menu through Group Policy but unfortunately it will apply to all users. There might be third party software you can get to do something similar though.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Actually...The guest account, you should SIMPLY DISABLE the account as basically noone really uses it.

Why not instead of using GUEST...create a new USERNAME called VISITOR...

Then grant is simply access to a few apps, and set Mozilla up to dumps its entire cache for the user each time it closes...

Malice said:
Actually...The guest account, you should SIMPLY DISABLE the account as basically noone really uses it.
It's already disabled by default, but I use it so I have it enabled.

What is your file system? NTFS or FAT32?

To find out: log as Admin, then go to Start -> Run then type compmgmt.msc and go to Disk Management

If you are using FAT32, I suggest you use NTFS which offers greater security control than FAT32. You can manage your folders and restrict controls effectively.

To convert from FAT32 to NTFS, you need to install Partition Magic or similar software. Partition Magic converts your file system without requiring you to format the hard disk.

Then, head to this address to learn more about managing your security folders:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308418/en-us

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"