Dunno what to do (OS problems)

Master Chief

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
Reaction score
Ubuntu is a pain in the ass right now, and I can't go back to WIndows.

When I bought my computer, I got a bunch of discs with it. I bought a laptop from the same place, and they gave me 2 recovery CDs, which recovered everything, all the pre-installed stuff which I'd sort through after everything was in.

Anyway, with the desktop it doesn't seem to be the same deal I thought it was. Instead I get 2 discs solely for Windows XP it seems, and I install it, but blah, and it's just barebones Windows XP. I have a widescreen monitor, and I can't install the drivers to get the resolutions. And when I try to do it manually, device manager shows no monitor or whatever. I also can't access the internet for some reason, too frustrated to deal with setting up the connection again or whatever it is I did before.

lol, just in case Ubuntu doesn't work out, and I wanna go back to Windows, can anyone tell me what the dealio is with the Device Manager bulls**t? :(

When the hell did you get Ubuntu? You were talking about that with _N0IR_ just last night. Damn that's a fast purchase.

It's a free operating system Kritish, lol. Freeware. I say nay nay to pay. :word:

Ubuntu is a pain in the ass right now, and I can't go back to WIndows.

When I bought my computer, I got a bunch of discs with it. I bought a laptop from the same place, and they gave me 2 recovery CDs, which recovered everything, all the pre-installed stuff which I'd sort through after everything was in.

Anyway, with the desktop it doesn't seem to be the same deal I thought it was. Instead I get 2 discs solely for Windows XP it seems, and I install it, but blah, and it's just barebones Windows XP. I have a widescreen monitor, and I can't install the drivers to get the resolutions. And when I try to do it manually, device manager shows no monitor or whatever. I also can't access the internet for some reason, too frustrated to deal with setting up the connection again or whatever it is I did before.

lol, just in case Ubuntu doesn't work out, and I wanna go back to Windows, can anyone tell me what the dealio is with the Device Manager bulls**t? :(
Well if you want the full XP install:
http://www.mininova.org/tor/734903

Here are your Widescreen Drivers Source (Binary or if your feeling dangerous you can build from source)
http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/Install_ATI_fglrx_driver_for_widescreen

Here is a nice Native fix (I suggest this)
http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Syst...ution-Fix-for-Widescreen-Monitors-26921.shtml

I Hope its workin' out for you.

Have you installed the graphics drivers? Generally once you do that, Windows will go by the highest resolution supported by both the graphics card and the monitor.

...This isn't Windows its a flavor of Linux called Ubuntu.

I haven't heard from him yet either, I assume he got things working.

I think it'd be kind of funny if he ****ed up the installation and now he is stuck with a giant expensive paper weight. I should stop telling people about Ubuntu until I know if they have a basic understanding of UNX-BSD.

Hahahh nooOoOoo, I'm not completely tech savvy but I know enough not to brick my system. I'll diddle around but won't mess around with settings unless I know what's gonna happen. I really do wish I had my laptop to work this with though, since my desktop was perfik and my laptop has a fried HD.

I think it'd be kind of funny if he ****ed up the installation and now he is stuck with a giant expensive paper weight. I should stop telling people about Ubuntu until I know if they have a basic understanding of UNX-BSD.

There's always Geek Squad if it becomes a paper weight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"