• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Yay! NBC Backs Off Madonna!!

Darren Daring said:
I can change my opinion if it makes you uncomfortable.

Mmhhm.

Darthphere is right. There is an audience for Madonna's wacky stage shows, and pulling it because a small number of people who would't have watched it in the first place complained is yet another example of the hyper sensitve PC world that we live in, and it disgusts me.
But isn't it wise on NBC's part to think about how they can be affected finacnially in the future?

Ill just say this, as a christian myself, I dont have any problem with Madonna's antics. Thats her right to expression. These chrisitan groups dont speak for me.

Tangled Web said:
But isn't it wise on NBC's part to think about how they can be affected finacnially in the future?

No. If they go out of business then maybe we can get a netwrok who will respect the audience's right to decide what is objectionable.

Darthphere said:
Im not suggesting they stay silent, freedom of speech and all. Im suggesting that NBC not have to cater to the opinion of what is without a doubt a whopping minority.

How do YOU know what is and isn't a whopping minority/majority? How do you know how far these Christian groups reach...how far these groups are willing to go for what they believe?

The problem here is that those who are losing sleep over not seeing Madonna not mock a cross (which is what, a small portion of the entire show) don't have the balls or the committment to get together and petition NBC to show the material. They think things should be handed to them on a damn platter. If you're not gonna make a big deal over it in the long run, why the hell should NBC care?

Darren Daring said:
What? Are you saying people need a reason to respect other folk? Respect should be the default, sonny.

P.S. Answer: Because you have econmic power and will hurt them if they don't.
Respect is merited not deserved.

SentinelMind said:
How do YOU know what is and isn't a whopping minority/majority? How do you know how far these Christian groups reach...how far these groups are willing to go for what they believe?

The problem here is that those who are losing sleep over not seeing Madonna not mock a cross (which is what, a small portion of the entire show) don't have the balls or the committment to get together and petition NBC to show the material. They think things should be handed to them on a damn platter. If you're not gonna make a big deal over it in the long run, why the hell should NBC care?

No, the problem is they shouldn't have to, this is why america is so ****ed, because the christian majority are running the country...badly :whatever:

Addendum said:
Do you see his point now?

Nope. You're arguing that groups don't have the right to petition companies to behave in certain matter that pleases those consumers. If one set of consumers request something at the expense of other consumers, its the company's decision to decide which consumer to cater to. It's up to the other consumers to decide if they mind being marginalized.

I don't think anyone who doesn't like NBC censoring a small portion of the program is going to do a goddman thing about it or change their decision whether to watch the program or not. So its no big loss. NBC made a financially secure compromise. Show parts of the Madonna program on their station. Let Madonna fanatics buy her DVD.

Your argument is akin to asking PETA (and sympathetic consumers) not petition companies to stop using animal fur or whale skin in their products. Why can't PETA just shut-up and let those ok with animal fur live and let live? If PETA wants to make a big deal about it (and its a free country), Its up to the firm to decide if there is a way not to offend either set of customers. If there isn't a compromise, then the company should do what its in their best interest. If the company thinks PETA is a bunch of extremists nobody supports, then they'll continue their practice. If the company thinks PETA has a large following and are getting bad publicity, then they will change their product.

SentinelMind said:
Nope. You're arguing that groups don't have the right to petition companies to behave in certain matter that pleases those consumers. If one set of consumers request something at the expense of other consumers, its the company's decision to decide which consumer to cater to. It's up to the other consumers to decide if they mind being marginalized.

I don't think anyone who doesn't like NBC censoring a small portion of the program is going to do a goddman thing about it or change their decision whether to watch the program or not. So its no big loss. NBC made a financially secure compromise. Show parts of the Madonna program on their station. Let Madonna fanatics buy her DVD.

Your argument is akin to asking PETA (and sympathetic consumers) not petition companies to stop using animal fur or whale skin in their products. Why can't PETA just shut-up and let those ok with animal fur live and let live? If PETA wants to make a big deal about it (and its a free country), Its up to the firm to decide if there is a way not to offend either set of customers. If there isn't a compromise, then the company should do what its in their best interest.

YOUR WHOLE ARGUMENT IS THAT GROUPS HAVE THE RIGHT TO TAKE AWAY OTHER PEOPLE'S RIGHT TO WATCH WHAT THEY WANT. I SAY AGAIN HOW DOES THAT TIE IN WITH A RELIGION THAT TEACHES FORGIVENESS AND LOVE. IT DOESN'T IT'S CLOSED MINDEDNESS AND HATE. ANSWER THAT?

hippy fascist said:
YOUR WHOLE ARGUMENT IS THAT GROUPS HAVE THE RIGHT TO TAKE AWAY OTHER PEOPLE'S RIGHT TO WATCH WHAT THEY WANT. I SAY AGAIN HOW DOES THAT TIE IN WITH A RELIGION THAT TEACHES FORGIVENESS AND LOVE. IT DOESN'T IT'S CLOSED MINDEDNESS AND HATE. ANSWER THAT?

People have a right to watch Madonna mock a cross on NBC? Where is that in the Constitution?

excuse me while I laugh.
ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-aha.

ahhh-ha-hahaha...HAAHAHAHA!

ahem....now ah...no.

No offense, but you seem to be confused. One's right to watch shows on privately owned networks is followed by your dollar, not by the constitution. Freedom of speech prevents the government from hampering your speech. The private company can control the message they want to their consumers.

SentinelMind said:
People have a right to watch Madonna mock a cross on NBC? Where is that in the Constitution?

I'm not an american so I don't know the constitution so well but I am familiar with a concpet called freedom of speech ****tard :whatever:

Addendum said:
Television_remote_control.jpg

As is this device. It's useful in finding something you might like to watch.

And there we have it. If you don't like it, don't watch it.

SentinelMind said:

Your argument is akin to asking PETA (and sympathetic consumers) not petition companies to stop using animal fur or whale skin in their products. Why can't PETA just shut-up and let those ok with animal fur live and let live? If PETA wants to make a big deal about it (and its a free country), Its up to the firm to decide if there is a way not to offend either set of customers. If there isn't a compromise, then the company should do what its in their best interest. If the company thinks PETA is a bunch of extremists nobody supports, then they'll continue their practice. If the company thinks PETA has a large following and are getting bad publicity, then they will change their product.
I'm not arguing that at all. I'm just saying no one is forcing people to watch shows that offend them. Since we have a device called the remote control that can change channels on your TV, and also since TV has moved from just having 3 stations (CBS, NBC, and ABC) to having hundreds of stations on cable and satellite, that the regular viewer can find something that they'll enjoy.

If a station has something that offends me (nothing offends me, so this is purely hypothetical) or has something I don't want to watch, I grab the remote and CHANGE THE CHANNEL. I don't go onto the internet, visit some group's website, get their pre-made letter and send it 10,000 times to the network

hippy fascist said:
I'm not an american so I don't know the constitution so well but I am familiar with a concpet called freedom of speech ****tard :whatever:

How convenient of you to only respond to HALF of my post. I see you either skimmed through the last half and took my comment out of context. I'm considering not continuing this debate if you're not willing to put in the full effort to read my posts.

I'm tired of people throwing around catch phrases with no understanding of what the principles mean.

The Right to Free Speech prevents the government from censoring one's speech due to their perspective. Right to free speech does not prohibit private entities from editting material they want to show. NBC is in their right to show whatever the hell they want, however they want, whever they want (as long is it doesn''t violate FCC indecency regulations).

No one's right to free speech is being violated. NBC doesn't have to show any damn program you feel like watching. NBC will only show programs that are profitable for them, and that is the bottom line. NBC will respond to whatever consumers object to, recommend, or petition. That is FREE SPEECH right there. If you think NBC should show a program, make the petition, make your case. Otherwise, shut-up.

Addendum said:
I'm not arguing that at all. I'm just saying no one is forcing people to watch shows that offend them. Since we have a device called the remote control that can change channels on your TV, and also since TV has moved from just having 3 stations (CBS, NBC, and ABC) to having hundreds of stations on cable and satellite, that the regular viewer can find something that they'll enjoy.

If a station has something that offends me (nothing offends me, so this is purely hypothetical) or has something I don't want to watch, I grab the remote and CHANGE THE CHANNEL. I don't go onto the internet, visit some group's website, get their pre-made letter and send it 10,000 times to the network

No one is forcing PETA to wear a fur coat. No one is forcing you to buy from a sweatshop labor. No one is forcing you to watch anti-Christian propaganda. No one is forcing you buy from companies that fund hospitals that support abortion. No one is forcing you to buy from companies that pollute.

Of course, these companies don't care about ethical or philosophical debate. The consumers do. The consumers have the money. They can choose not to support the company for whatever reason they damn choose. They can also exercise their FIRST AMENDMENT rights to assemble, and their FIRST AMENDMENT RIGHT to speak to the company, speak to the media, speak to the public, and get their perspective out to the people. They can choose to lead a public boycott of a company that pushes forward certain practices throughout the entire brand name, even if one department has nothing to do with another department in a company. These groups are suggesting that they will not watch NBC programs. That hurts NBC's bottom line.

Just curious,.....if NBC decided to show a program that made homophobic stereotypes and made jokes about attacking gays, would you hold the same position you do now? Would you tell gay rights organization who wanted to protest to shut up and change the channel? Or is your rhetoric limited to the 'religious right'?

^Fair enough. I respect that you're honest enough to admit you'd tell gay rights organizations not to publicly protest programs that encouraged intimidating and marginalizing homosexuals.

When TV has hundreds of stations, there's something for everyone on it. Change the channel to find something you'll enjoy. It's simple, instead of mailing letters that will more than likely be shredded

^I don't these groups would have cared if the Madonna show was on pay-per-view or HBO. I think they do care that is on one of the main 5 stations instantly available to the general public who buys a TV. Channels like NBC and ABC basically define mainstream entertainment. Furthermore, those letters were obviously not shredded or we'd not be having this discussion.

celldog said:
Did you feel that way when the Muhammad cartoon was printed???

i did... it isn't freedom of speech if you arent aloud to say things that piss others off.
if that were the case it would be freedom of speech as long as no one is offended.

Oh thank God. I was scared for a second that I would have to change the channel.

NBC is making as much of a statement by refusing to air that part of Madonnas performance as Madonna is by performing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"