yellow light of death ARGHHHHHHH

the_ultimate_evil

CURSE YOU GIN MONKEY.
Reaction score
ok my 60gb ps3 i got back in 2007 has now YLOD. i'm resigned to my fate of either having to play to repair it and take the chance of it happening again or get a new one

but my question is what about my saved games i know downloads/psn and trophies are fine i can get them again

but i upgraded the HDD on it about a year and a half ago can i not just take out that and put it in the new ps3 and keep playing??

i'm just pissed off right now

That won't work. When you put the old HDD in a new Slim, you still have to format the HDD. It's a security feature to prevent people from uploading their stuff (PSN content) on to multiple HDD's.

The only thing I suggest is getting a Slim and try a data transfer using a ethernet cable. The instructions are in the Manual. The problem is that it needs both Systems to be on at the same time. Does you 60GB come on at all?

Here are a few do it yourself YLOD vids. If you are adventurous to fix it yourself.
[YT]4_Ic1_TY-GU[/YT]

[YT]Vr1zyAGwnuU[/YT]

[YT]VHgCa3XEPic[/YT]

Or just send it in to Sony or, preferably, a local repair shop (it's way cheaper) and have them fix it. You have no ther options besides than these, other than get a new system and restart all you games. :csad:

Next time, try to back up your stuff on an external HDD. I do this for my 60gb PS3. Some saves are copy protected and won't save, but most of it will.

Good Luck. :up:

Edit: Just wanted to point out your Trophies, DLC, and anything else you bought from the store; will be safe. You can redownload all DLC and Trophies are saved on the Sony server.

Last edited:
i do back up my stuff usually typically my flash drive is broke:doh: was picking up a new one tomorrow

i spoke to sony and they want around £150 and they will give me a refurbished model and independence repairers says they can fix it for around £70 but can not guarantee that it won't brake down again within a few months

If it were me, I would get it repaired at the shop and then back my stuff up. Then play the heck out of it until it breaks down a second time and buy a new one. Just back it up on a regular basis. That is if the saved data is important enough to you. If it not, then just buy a new one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"