Your predictions for summer box office???

A friend of mine believe's SR to be a dud and X3 to beat it... Personally I dont agree with it but hey we'll see if he's right.

Darth Elektra said:
A friend of mine believe's SR to be a dud and X3 to beat it... Personally I dont agree with it but hey we'll see if he's right.

Honestly, I cant see X3 making $100m opening.

My numbers for opening weekend are $75m.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/topnews.php?id=14391

The Weekend Warrior's Projected Top 10 Movies of Summer:
(All box office figures are projected through Labor Day.)

1. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (July 7 - Disney) - $310 million

2. The Da Vinci Code (May 19 - Sony) - $275 million

3. Superman Returns (June 30 - WB) - $265 million

4. Cars (June 9 - Disney/Pixar) - $245 million

5. X-Men: The Last Stand (May 26 - FOX) - $212 million

6. Mission: Impossible III (May 5 - Paramount) - $190 million

7. Over the Hedge (May 19 - DreamWorks) - $165 million

8. Click (June 23 - Sony) - $145 million

9. Poseidon (May 12 - Warner Bros.) - $140 million

10. Lady in the Water (July 21 - Warner Bros.) – $125 million

hunter rider said:
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/topnews.php?id=14391

I can definitely see this happening..............

The Summer Box Office Preview - Part 2
Source: Edward Douglas May 5, 2006

Continuing our look at the summer movies, we go from the big budget blockbusters to the more modestly priced comedies and horror flicks. At the bottom of this article, you can also check out the Weekend Warrior's projected list for the Top 10 summer movies.

(Disclaimer: Box office predictions are subject to change between the time of this posting and the regular weekly column, depending on theatre counts, marketing, and other factors. This is a preview of what to expect with rough projections based on current information.)

The Kings of Comedy
The summer of 2005 was a great time for comedy, thanks to a bunch of unexpected R-rated hits in Wedding Crashers and The 40-Year-Old Virgin. The latter propelled Steve Carrell into the comedy echelons, while the former solidified Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson as popular comedic draws. Vaughn and Wilson each have films this summer, while Carrell takes the season off in preparation for his holiday comedy, Evan Almighty. Still, this summer will see movies with Adam Sandler, Jack Black and Will Ferrell, all of whom should offer more than enough laughs for anyone looking for some this summer.

Click (Sony) - June 23
New year, new Adam Sandler movie, as he follows his hit remake of The Longest Yard from last summer, which grossed $158 million, with a new comedy that offers a high concept premise of a universal remote that can control anything in the universe, including wives, kids, bosses, etc. You get the idea. Like Jim Carrey's Bruce Almighty, the premise is solid enough that it should appeal to a huge audience beyond Sandler's normal fans, which certainly will give this the advantage for being the top comedy of the summer.
Box Office Potential: $140 to 160 million

The Break-Up (Universal) - June 2
As a response to last year's Mr. and Mrs. Smith with Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie, the former Mrs. Pitt, Jennifer Aniston, lashes back with a romantic comedy that teams her with her new (alleged) boyfriend Vince Vaughn, who just happened to also appear in Mr. and Mrs. Smith. And it's being released the same weekend, too! Though this isn't an action movie, the premise is that JenniVaughn™ are a couple who broke up, but are forced to live together to keep their condo. Like in "Smith," there's the irony of this (potentially) real-life couple fighting all the time, and just like that, all the curious rubberneckers will go see the movie to see if there are any clues of the tabloid reports being true. Directed by Peyton Reed (Bring It On), it also reunites Vaughn with his Swingers pal Jon Favreau, for those going to see this looking for a cool reason to do so.
Box Office Potential: $90 to 100 million

Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby (Sony) - August 4
Less than two months after Cars and The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift drive into theatres, Will Ferrell takes on NASCAR in his attempt to bring back his fans after two poorly received 2005 movies. (At least Bewitched and Kicking & Screaming made $20 million their opening weekends.) "Talladega Nights" reunites him with Adam McKay in a movie that even sounds a bit like their 2004 hit, Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy. Opening in early August, it may get hit with the normal late summer lull, but it should have a solid opening weekend, as it satiates racing and comedy fans alike.
Box Office Potential: $70 to 80 million

Nacho Libre (Paramount) - June 16
Jack Black returns to comedy for the first time in two years with a movie about a Mexican priest who moonlights as a masked wrestler in order to earn money for the orphans. Black's huge popularity among the college crowd and genre fans has only gotten bigger in recent years, especially after King Kong and this comedy stands a good chance to appeal to a lot of them, even if it's a risk releasing it in the middle of such a busy summer. Helmed by Jared "Napoleon Dynamite" Hess, this film should help solidify Black's already rabid fanbase.
Box Office Potential: $65 to 70 million

You, Me and Dupree (Universal) - July 14
After the success of Wedding Crashers, Owen Wilson tries to go it on his own after a few unsuccessful attempts. (Anyone remember The Big Bounce?) But he has some help from Matt Dillon and Kate Hudson, stars of There's Something About Mary and How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days. Wilson plays Dupree, Matt Dillon's annoying best friend who inserts himself into the quiet home life with Kate Hudson. Universal is hoping that pairing the stars of such big sleeper hits, under the aegis of Arrested Development directors Joe and Anthony Russo, will give them another huge summer comedy hit ala The 40-Year-Old Virgin, although this might get overshadowed by some of the other big movies surrounding it.
Box Office Potential: $60 to 70 million

Little Man (Sony) - July 5
The Brothers Wayans, who had such huge success with the "Scary Movie" films and 03's White Chicks, borrow an idea from Looney Tunes with Marlon playing a criminal little person, pretending to be a baby to hide from the cops, who is adopted by brother Shawn and Ray's Kerry Washington. It's going to be another stupid movie that the critics loathe, but the trailer certainly offers a lot of laughs, so it might not completely get lost in the shuffle, despite opening between Superman Returns and Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest.
Box Office Potential: $40 to 50 million

Clerks II (The Weinstein Company) – August 18
One has to assume that Kevin Smith has a lot more fans now than he did in 1994, when his independent comedy Clerks, made for less than $250,000, changed the face of indie cinema. Twelve years later and five years after Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, the movie that was supposed to wrap up Smith's five-movie "Jersey trilogy," he's returning to the characters who started it off, Randal and Dante, now facing their thirties and new jobs at a fast food restaurant. Smith's fans will probably make this their #1 priority in life, but few others.
Box Office Potential: $30 to 35 million

Beerfest (Warner Bros.) – August 25
The Broken Lizard troupe return, this time with a new studio, and the premise couldn't be more appealing to their fans as two college guys go to Munich where they get caught up in the super-secret Olympic style beer drinking games that go on there. While it could be their first chance to recapture some of the success of their movie, Super Troopers, this is also coming out in late August, which is never a good time to release a movie.
Box Office Potential: $25 to 30 million

Oh, the Horror, the Horror…
Although horror movies have often been relegated to January or the fall, this summer sees a pretty extensive variety of thrillers with only two remakes in the bunch.

Snakes on a Plane (New Line) – August 18
A movie that began its campaign as soon as the title was announced, this high profile B-movie puts Samuel L. Jackson on a plane… with a lot of snakes! Paul Greengrass might have some competition for plane-related thrillers come August when Dave Ellis, director of Final Destination 2, keeps the recent spate of plane-related thrillers going strong. Jackson may be just fine as a U.S. Marshal, but our money is on the snakes being the big draw, and by the time this finally comes out, any surprise of it doing well probably won't be a surprise anymore.
Box Office Potential: $70 to 80 million

The Omen (20th Century Fox) - June 6
Boy, those kid actors these days are actually a lot like the kids in the '70s, particularly those that are the spawn of Satan. The '70s horror classic, originally directed by no less than Richard Donner, gets the remake treatment at the hands of John Moore (Flight of the Phoenix) with Julia Stiles and Liev Schreiber playing the proud stepparents of the anti-Christ. It even has '70s horror veteran Mia Farrow of Rosemary's Baby playing the tyke's evil nanny. Opening on a Tuesday to take advantage of the "06.06.06" release date, look for this to find a lot of new fans, at least its opening week.
Box Office Potential: $55 to 60 million

Pulse (Dimension Films) - July 14
The original Japanese horror film from Kiyoshi Kurosawa barely made a mark when it was released here by Magnolia Pictures, but Dimension are hoping that this English remake will do business closer to The Ring or The Grudge, than Disney's '05 flop Dark Water. This thriller about an internet virus killing everyone it contacts will certainly freak a lot of people out if it's anything like the original, especially since the language and cultural barrier that made the original so hard to palate won't be an issue. Instead, they'll get to see stars like Christina Milian, Ian "Lost" Somerhalder and Kristin Bell being terrorized by this unknown force.
Box Office Potential: $45 to 50 million

The Reaping (Warner Bros.) – August 11
Hilary Swank follows her latest Oscar win the same way she did the first time, by making a genre film, this time playing a Christian missionary who suffered a loss of faith after her family was killed and is investigating what seems to be Biblical plagues that have befallen a small Louisiana town. This is opening the same weekend as last year's Skeleton Key, another thriller set in Louisiana, although combining Swan with horror might be less persuasive at getting fans of either into theatres, especially with Snakes on a Plane opening the following weekend.
Box Office Potential: $30 to 35 million

See No Evil (Lionsgate) - May 19
Pro wrestler Kane makes his big screen debut as a brutal killer in this slasher flick, the first collaboration between Lionsgate and WWE Films directed by adult film and music video director Gregory Dark. While it should have some decent crossover appeal between wrestling and horror fans, opening against The Da Vinci Code is not the smartest thing Lionsgate could possibly do, even if it will skew towards younger males. Expect one week of decent business and a sharp drop to follow.
Box Office Potential: $25 to 30 million

An American Haunting (After Dark Films) - May 5
The first release by new distributor After Dark Films (through Freestyle Releasing) is a ghost movie based on Brent Monahan's novel "The Bell Witch: An American Haunting," starring no less than Sissy Spacek and Donald Sutherland. As scary as the movie might be, they're releasing it against Mission: Impossible III, which almost makes it impossible for it to get much attention, although maybe the interesting "based on real life" premise will help it get some business before it's knocked out of theatres by other high-profile blockbusters.
Box Office Potential: $20 to 25 million

The Big Unknown
Every summer, there's a bunch of movies that look interesting but really could go either way as far as business, because though the ideas sound promising, they could get lost in the shuffle of movies that are getting much more promotion and attention. Here are a few of them:

Miami Vice (Universal) - July 28
Jamie Foxx and Michael Mann are reunited after 2004's Collateral in this remake of Mann's popular '80s television show, except that this doesn't have the benefits of Tom Cruise, instead starring Colin Farrell as Detective Sonny Crockett to Foxx's Ricardo Tubbs. This looks like it's going to be a grittier crime film than the original show, but the combination of known title with respected filmmaker could allow this to do a decent amount of business in a week with no other strong movies. Phillip Michael Thomas was unavailable for comment.

Just My Luck (20th Century Fox) – May 12
Lindsay Lohan breaks away from Disney and makes her move into grown-up roles with this high concept romantic comedy about an extremely lucky girl, I mean, woman, who loses her luck when she kisses a handsome loser, played by Chris Pine. Will Lindsay's teen and older female fans be along for the ride on this movie that seems a bit too much like her arch-rival Hilary Duff's A Cinderella Story?

My Super Ex-Girlfriend (20th Century Fox) - July 21
In the latest comedy from Ivan (Ghostbusters) Reitman, the Bride from Kill Bill AKA Uma Thurman dons superhero tights for a romantic comedy that has Luke Wilson learning of his girlfriend's superpowers only after he dumps her, which turns out to be a big mistake. Since there hasn't been a trailer, I'm not sure if this is being marketed towards the female romantic comedy set or the male superhero/genre set, but it might find some fierce competition for both in M. Night Shyamalan's Lady in the Water.

Garfield: A Tail of Two Kitties (20th Century Fox) - June 16
The pasta-chomping fat cat is back, once again voiced by Bill Murray, but will kids rush out to see it the way they did the original movie two years ago? Family sequels tend to show diminishing returns and parents might choose to wait until DVD for the sequel which brings Garfield to England in a similar way as Frankie Muniz's poorly received sequel, Agent Cody Banks II. The first one exceeded expectations in '04, but it also didn't come out after two big computer animated family comedies, which will certainly have an impact on this doing well.

The Lake House (Warner Bros.) - June 16
Can Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock revive their earlier onscreen magic from Speed with a romantic drama that mixes The Notebook with Frequency? That's certainly the question being asked in this movie about a woman who starts corresponding with a man who lived in the same house two years earlier. It's a strange premise, but the first English film from Argentine filmmaker Alejandro Agresti just have that Sleepless in Seattle vibe that will bring in older women, or at least, that may be what Warner Bros. hopes, as they continue this summer's "water" theme. (They really should have released Aquaman this year.)

World Trade Center (Paramount) – August 9
After the general apathy towards Paul Greengrass' recent United 93, one has to wonder whether Oliver Stone's dramatization of the events of September 11, 2001, featuring actors like Nicholas Cage, Maggie Gyllenhaal and Maria Bello, will be received any more favorably. Besides the familiar cries of it being "too soon," Stone may also have to get past the cries of, "Your last movie Alexander really sucked!" and hope that his older fans are interested enough in the topical subject matter to forgive him.

And the Winner Is?
While Warner Bros. certainly has more movies with potential to reach the top 10 this summer than other studios, one can't overlook the fact that Disney might have both "Pirates of the Caribbean" and Cars in the over-$200 million slot, and that alone should give them the edge this summer with Warner Bros. and Sony fighting it out for second place by the time we get to Labor Day.

SR looks so dissapointing it's not even funny. suppposedly this film leaves off from s4 or whatever sequel yet they chose young actors to portray this role? and the cast sucks, so does the wardrobe, and again Routh is in no way superman the whole damn thing looks like smallville on a tad bigger budget.

GoldenAgeHero said:
SR looks so dissapointing it's not even funny. suppposedly this film leaves off from s4 or whatever sequel yet they chose young actors to portray this role? and the cast sucks, so does the wardrobe, and again Routh is in no way superman the whole damn thing looks like smallville on a tad bigger budget.

Superman 4 has nothing to do with it. Get your facts straight.

What with people??? Why everybody forecasted 2006 to have only one movie, which will make more than $300m???

And POTC2 cant make only a bit more than 1st movie. Why? Because it is next Shrek 2, LOTR2, SWII and etc. I cant see it making so low. My numbers are $350-370m.

So I see SR also making more than $300m.

MI3 opened to a slow friday... only 17million. I was thinking more on the lines of 20-22 million.

Cinemaman said:
What with people??? Why everybody forecasted 2006 to have only one movie, which will make more than $300m???

And POTC2 cant make only a bit more than 1st movie. Why? Because it is next Shrek 2, LOTR2, SWII and etc. I cant see it making so low. My numbers are $350-370m.

So I see SR also making more than $300m.

It won't!!!! jeez

Wow, MI3 opened to a dissapointing weekend. I hope it has some good legs here in the States!

Debuting in about 55 other countries, "Mission: Impossible III" took in $70 million, for a worldwide total of $118 million. Paramount noted that the new movie beat the $115 million worldwide debut of "Mission: Impossible II" in those same countries.

I hope M:I:III wont be underrated..
That movie was so good that it deserves more money than that.

Come on America.

yea, This film is doing tremendous over-seas. I just hope it breaks the 150 mark here in the states.

Cinemaman said:
Ok, I think we should put there our predictions or forecasts about box office of summer 2006.

As for me:

MI3
Domestic: $198m Foreign: $217m Worldwide: $415m.

Posseidon
Domestic: $133m Foreign: $164m Worldwide: $297m.

Da Vinci Code
Domestic: $271m Foreign: $439m Worldwide: $710m.

Over the Hedge
Domestic: $179m Foreign: $205m Worldwide: $384m.

X-Men 3
Domestic: $201m Foreign: $187m Worldwide: $388m.

Cars
Domestic: $275m Foreign: $366m Worldwide: $641m.

Superman Returns
Domestic: $318m Foreign: $385m Worldwide: $703m.

Pirates of Caribbean 2
Domestic: $355m Foreign: $484m Worldwide: $839m.

What you think?

$710 million for the Da Vinci Code wasn't too bad a guess since it has made $741 million so far :)

Dead Man's Chest: Domestic: $337,879,183 61.2%
+ Foreign: $214,097,000 38.8%
= Worldwide: $551,976,183

i can see this film making 400million domestically.

SR: Domestic: $182,006,455
+ Foreign: $110,000,000
= Worldwide: $292,006,455

pathetic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"