Your Top 10 Most Popular Black Characters In Marvel Comics

Bling, Angel Salvador, Gentle, Heathe Hudson, Shard, Tag, Venus Dee Milo and Phastos are also black mutants that haven't been mentioned.

Maggott was an X-Man for over a year worth of books. There isn't any reason why he shouldn't count. Is Sunspot black? Because he's been on fringe X-Men books like X-Treme X-Men. He was considered an X-Man with everyone else and their brother during Utopia, his fraction of the X-Men being the New Mutants clan.

Sunspot is half black and half white Brazilian. Its hardly ever brought up that he is half black outside of his first apperance here in New Mutants 1.

Sunspot.jpg

sunspot1.jpg

My list

1. Luke Cage - Big fan of his shortlived 90s solo title. I give props to writer Marcus McLaurin for trying to modernize Cage. Having the character ditch the power man name, making his father a doctor and brother a college grad. Bendis would obviously go on to make a much more successful modern version of Cage but I think McLaurin did some good work too.

I also have alot of his old Power Man issues which are actually rather entertaining in a kitsch kind of way.

2. Blade. Great character that I enjoyed from Tomb of Dracula, Nightalkers, MI:13 and the movies. Its pretty amazing how Marvel can't seem to make a decent solo comic out of the character especially after the success of the films.

3. War Machine. Really liked his solo comics until they gave him a lame alien suit.

4. Patriot is probably one of my favourite newer black characters. Is he in limbo or any other titles because I know he isn't in Young Avengers anymore which sucks.

5. Misty Knight a badass hot detective chick with a robotic arm (whats not to love about that :yay:

6. Cloak of Cloak and Dagger. When the hell are Marvel going to let these two be a couple? they have been playing the will they won't they thing for years now.

7. Alex Wilder of the Runaways. Really liked him. His in literal limbo and I would love if Brian K.Vaughan one day came back to the title and did something with him and the other Runaways.

8. Synch and Jesse Bedlam. Two reasonably well adjusted 90s black mutants of Generation X and X-Force who died horrible deaths. Bedlam was cool as hell in Warren Ellis X-Force and Ellis killed off Synch.

9. Anarchist. A intresting and orignal character who had OCD and racial identity issues. He lookses like Dennis Rodman and could sweat acid. The satire element of him being aware he was the token black guy on the team and fearful he was going to die as soon as a new black guy Spike turned up was good.

10. Photon purely beacause of Nextwave :woot:

Honorable villain Mentions for Lady Nightshade, Moses Magnum, Cruz Bushmaster, Hardcore, Chemistro, King Bedlam, Geoffrey Wilder, Joanna Cargill, Doctor Crocodile and Locus.

Never even heard of Cardiac.

177856-40124-cardiac_super.JPG

Spider-Man villain/vigilante who saved lives by day as a doctor and punished by night as Cardiac. He was a fantastic character who went on to have a semi-big role in the defunct Nightwatch book. He disappeared for years after that (minus a cameo or two) though he's apparently going to be a good sized character in the next few months of Superior Spider-Man.

My favorite story with him was when, as Cardiac, he went after a criminal and nearly killed him. Then he changed and rushed into work in his civilian clothes only to find that his first patient is the criminal he tried to kill the night before. He was confronted with his desire to punish conflicting with his oath to save lives. It was great. I think it was in Spider-Man Unlimited 7... or somewhere around there.

Black panther
Luke cage
War machine
Blade
Nick fury jr
Patriot
Cloak
Black Goliath

I know he/she's technically a Skrull, but does Xavin count? He/she always takes the form of a black kid when they pose as a human.

Black Goliath
Dangit! I totally forgot all about BG! Senility must be starting to set in! That and he went out like a sucker!! Dang! Ok so on my list honorable mention to BG! He gets that just for that 70's big ass collar and for being a super smart brother!( man there still ain't a lot of those!)
Hahahaha I knew some one was going to bring up "black punisher" RUN!! even for a comic that was some utter reverse michael jackson BS!

Ha! I was going to say Heimdall but I really don't want to start that stuff up! I still know comic guys off here who refuse to let that die! comic guys are so techincal!hahaha

I'm confused. Is this our top 10 favorites, or who we perceive to be the most popular to comic book fans and the general public?

"who we perceive to be the most popular to comic book fans and the general public"

But looking at the posts, it feels like there must be something wrong with my OP that made them think to post their favorites and not the "most popular". :huh:

I forgot about Supreme Power's Nighthawk. He would actually make my top ten list.

You could make a pretty decent black Avengers team out of Patriot, War Machine, Falcon, Photon, Misty Knight and Black Goliath :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"