Your Watchmen Video Game

Shifty

Chief of Surgery
Reaction score
No this isn't an announcement about a Watchmen video game. But I believe its only a matter of time (E3 2008?) before a video game based on the movie/comic book will be announced.

Batman, Harry Potter, Iron Man, Indiana Jones, Jumper, Jason Bourne, Hellboy all have video games lined up for 2008. There was a 300 video game for the PSP last year as well. Plus all the previous video games based on X-Men, Spider-Man and Hulk movies.

But was wondering what kind of game you would like to see for Watchmen. We know most movie video games aren't the greatest. Still it would generate some activity in this forum until more news comes out.

So would anyone want to see a Watchmen fighting game?

Or a action adventure one with co-op?

Would you include levels not found in the movie or only referenced in the graphic novel?
Incorporate some stealth into the game?

You could go from the 1940s to 1980s
or just have Nite Owl and Rorschach in the 60s or play as The Comedian in Vietnam or assassinate Woodward and Bernstein in the 70s.

Fly the Owlship to save the tenants from the fire.
Have a day in the life of Rorschach in alternate 1985 NYC.

Any ideas on how the DS or Wii could be used? Or XBLA?

I'd think it would be great if you could unlock an extra and play a 8-bit M-rated Watchmen sidescroller made to look that it was made for the NES from 1985/86 with 12 levels.

What movie video games have you enjoyed and what elements would you like for a Watchmen one?

I never want to see a Watchmen video game. I'm already shaky on the idea of action figures.

Snyder has said that he wants to have a video game that would tell the stories of the gang not shown in the comic/movie. The Comedian and Dr. Manhattan in Vietnam for example.

I could dig it - if done with a great studio.

The fact that this thread exists is going to cause Alan Moore to have a heart attack.

I don't play video games, but as with all things Watchmen-related, I will maintain some nascent cognizance of Watchmen for the X-box or whatever.
That said, I'll be completely on-board if I can be Mothman: some sort of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest where you're getting too drunk to escape from the asylum, even as the opportunity presents itself.

I could see an MMO set in the Watchmen Universe, where players create their own character and can interact with the characters from Watchmen. Then from their you can choose whether to help Rorschach and Night Owl, or help Adrian. I think that could be interesting, if done well.

My ideal WATCHMEN game would have everything. Play as the Minutemen, play as the heroes, it would allow you to play adventures during the heroes heyday (Taking on Underboss with Nite Owl and Rorschach) as well as the current storyline.

I'd like to see Watchmen done in the fashion of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic; thought it'd be cool.:word:

My ideal watchmen game would be more of an adventure/thriller type game. Focused more on Rorshach's investigation of the events (with some flashback stages) and not so much on action/combat. When I read the book it feels more to me like a mystery novel than anything else (amongst other genre's it presents). So anything more than that in a video game would be a failure to me.

Does Watchmen need a video game?
Absolutely not. But there will probably be one...and as the majority of movie games go it will suck hard.

It would have to go off of a side plot and not follow the main story. The main story doesn't allow for mush gameplay. Of course they could set it in the past as a sort of prequel and have them all fighting crime.

My ideal Watchmen game would be one that doesn't exist.

If they do haveto go and make one, it should be a PC game, where it isnt so much an action game as it is a solve-a-mystery game or something like that.

In 2005, I was in my school's production of And there were None by Agatha Christie, and when we found out there was a videogame of it, we collectively creamed, shortly followed by us calling our parents to bring new pants. (Just kidding.) So I got the game and played it, expecting it to be old brittish people kicking ass to solve a murder, and found that it was like a choose-your-own-adventure book.

Watchmen should be exactly that. If we get an action game, then I think it's safe to say we're getting an action movie in March 2009, and if we're getting an action movie, then we're screwed.

If they do haveto go and make one, it should be a PC game, where it isnt so much an action game as it is a solve-a-mystery game or something like that.

In 2005, I was in my school's production of And there were None by Agatha Christie, and when we found out there was a videogame of it, we collectively creamed, shortly followed by us calling our parents to bring new pants. (Just kidding.) So I got the game and played it, expecting it to be old brittish people kicking ass to solve a murder, and found that it was like a choose-your-own-adventure book.

Watchmen should be exactly that. If we get an action game, then I think it's safe to say we're getting an action movie in March 2009, and if we're getting an action movie, then we're screwed.

Truer words were never spoken. It would become the next LXG if that were to happen, and if that came to pass I fear Alan Moore's beard and rings would annihilate us all.

I don't know. If you played through the events of the story, there'd be little action, and An Owl-ship flight adventure game is out of the question.
But maybe just playing as rorschach, breaking people's fingers, making your own weapons, and throwing them down elevator shafts. Maybe Punisher(interrogation-wise) meets the new Alone in the Dark(great inventory, makeshift weapns). But really, I've never thought of a watchmen game.

Man a watchmen vidoe game would suck. It couldnt be action game (not a lot of action) or free roam (its a tight story)

My ideal Watchmen video game does not exist. There shouldn't be one. It will suck just like every other video game based on a license. The story doesn't even lend itself to anything other than a graphic adventure, and at that point you should really just be reading the book.

I dont know, there's quite a lot of action in the book. I'd say any Watchmen movee, even if it were adapted 100% faithfully, would qualify as technically an action movie. It would (will) definatley be found in the Action section at video stores. Even if it doesn't really deserve to be, that's where they'll put it because it's about superheroes. That's where Superman Returns is.

My ideal Watchmen video game does not exist. There shouldn't be one. It will suck just like every other video game based on a license. The story doesn't even lend itself to anything other than a graphic adventure, and at that point you should really just be reading the book.

We're getting one...

Producer Thomas Tull talks about Zack Snyder, being a “geek,” and his philosophy of making good movies

Hollywood producer Thomas Tull, the man behind Batman Begins, Superman Returns, 300, and most recently Watchmen, spoke at his alma mater Hamilton College about his life in the movie business.

In his presentation to students, which included a special screening of never-before-seen footage from The Dark Knight, he rationalized that with movies “no matter how fascinating the techno toys are, if the story isn’t there, people will walk out disappointed.”

Tull also told the students that, through his production company Legendary Pictures, he “seeks to make the stories they tell ‘elevated’ and take the source material seriously.”

Another interesting bit of trivia brought up during Tull's speech was that if it wasn’t for him, our old buddy Zack Snyder would never have been picked to direct 300, which most certainly opened the door for him to get the behind the wheel of Watchmen.

Ultimately, despite all the research prior to approving a film, Tull described the decision as ultimately based on a "gut feel," as when he took a chance getting Zack Synder (who had previously only directed Dawn of the Dead) to direct 300, a pairing that proved very successful.

Tull was not shy in officially proclaiming his “geekdom” and gave fans hope that the video game based on the Watchmen movie — the one that Zack Snyder has mentioned on a few occasions — may end up being better than most movie tie-in games.

Characterizing himself as a "gamer" and wanting to keep his "card in the geek nation," Tull also expressed a sense of personal commitment to Legendary's films, putting things on film that "I want to see." He also regretted that many video games based on films are quickly produced with little regard for detail and has founded a video game company, Brash Entertainment, to specifically address film-to-game conversions.

Japanese game veteran Yoshiki Okamoto, known as a pioneer in survival horror thanks to Resident Evil, has signed a deal in which his studio Game Republic will work with Brash Entertainment on a new movie-based title.

Posted by James Brightman on Wednesday, March 12, 2008
Resident Evil Pioneer Okamoto Partners with Brash on Movie-Based Game

Brash Entertainment, a game company focused on collaboration with Hollywood that has partnerships with studios such as Lions Gate Films, Twentieth Century Fox Licensing and Merchandising, Universal Studios Licensing, Vanguard Animation, and Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment, announced today that they've signed a game development deal with Yoshiki Okamoto's Game Republic in Japan. The worldwide agreement will see Brash and Game Republic collaborate on an unannounced game based on a popular Hollywood film. The game is slated for release in 2010.

Okamoto is one of the foremost game designers in the industry, having spent 20 years at Capcom working on hit franchises such as Street Fighter II and Resident Evil, making him a pioneer in the fighting and survival horror genres. His teams have also worked on other notable franchises such as Lost Planet, Devil May Cry, Onimusha, and Dark Stalkers. In 2003 Okamoto founded Game Republic, which most recently developed the PS3-exclusive action-RPG Folklore.

"One of my goals with games is to do something revolutionary with something that's been never been seen before. The opportunity to re-imagine a fictional world provided by a compelling Hollywood IP using the interactive medium of games is very exciting to me," said Okamoto. "In collaborating with Brash, we were introduced to a very compelling fictional world and given the freedom to expand it through the game. We are working directly with the creative talent from the film, and feel that the close collaboration will result in an amazing game play experience that immerses the player in an incredible fantasy world."

"As a gamer, I am extremely excited to work with Okamoto-san, who has produced some of my favorite games," commented Brash co-founder and CEO Mitch Davis. "The Brash business gives us the luxury to match the best Hollywood IP with the skills of the most talented independent game developers; our partnership with a strong studio such as Game Republic, Inc is an excellent example of that."

Could Watchmen be that 2010 game? An expanded Alternate 1985 to play in?

I dunno why someone wouldnt want a watchmen game...well, a good watchmen game. thats be awesome.

For the poster ^ ... Why would they release the game in 2010, when the movie is gonna come out 2009?... I doubt it, but nevertheless I hope theirs a watchmen game. I dont mind if they release in 2010, I wouldn't want them to rush the game.

I dunno why someone wouldnt want a watchmen game...well, a good watchmen game. thats be awesome.

For the poster ^ ... Why would they release the game in 2010, when the movie is gonna come out 2009?... I doubt it, but nevertheless I hope theirs a watchmen game. I dont mind if they release in 2010, I wouldn't want them to rush the game.

Well he said he wants a great video game and usually the movie is filmed and the video game is rushed to meet the movie's release date. 2010 gives them more time and then there would be this fanbase who would play the video game. People have gone to see the Iron Man movie, but how many are going to pick up the video game that came out the same day?
If it came out later this year, say around the DVD release I think it would do well with the bigger Iron Man fanbase plus GTAIV has to be occupying any players right now.

George Miller is taking his time with Mad Max 4 because he wants the video game to catch up to the pre-production of the film that way they can be both ready at the same time.

So having a great Watchmen game, build hype around the video game in 2010 because the film was amazing would be a smart choice.

Definitely valid points, and I agree. But usually when the make video games based on movies the release it close to the release date of the movie. mostly because its still relevant in peoples mind. I would definitely prefer they release it at a much later date, that way their not rushing it. But 2010 seems way long off from the movie release, and isn't smart from a business stand point, unless ofcourse they expect the game to hold its own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sumilumi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"