Zack Snyder Talks Watchmen!

Snyder sounds like a geek about this stuff, which kind of gives me hope for this movie.

He could still **** it all up after its all said and done, of course, but I am glad this guy got the studio to make it R rated and let him make it as dark as it needs to be.

Would you feel better if Peter Bogdanovich were directing?
No, but I would feel better if someone who actually had some credibility as a director was directing. Someone who had experience in directing drama. Someone whose prior films were genuinely good.

While the rampant "dudes" and "awesomes" may be off-putting, it doesn't alter the fact that the dude understands and respects the material.
He respects it, sure. But maybe he doesn't understand it well enough. And maybe he doesn't really know how to bring this thing to film, make it a successful film that stands on its own without betraying the source material.

No, but I would feel better if someone who actually had some credibility as a director was directing. Someone who had experience in directing drama. Someone whose prior films were genuinely good.

He respects it, sure. But maybe he doesn't understand it well enough. And maybe he doesn't really know how to bring this thing to film, make it a successful film that stands on its own without betraying the source material.

All valid points. I think he understands Watchmen -- and has way more geek cred than Greengrass or Gilliam. Whether or not Snyder is capable enough to translate that understanding into the movie I want to see is another matter altogether. While I think he earned plenty of cred with 300, all he really had to do in that case was to get the visual elements into place. In this regard, Watchmen is way more elusive. I, like you, reserve my right to a robust skepticism.

As for his prolific use of rampant dudisms in interviews -- this is the sort of thing I overlook, and don't think will have any bearing on the film.

And he's building sets! Isn't that a relief already?

Whether or not Snyder is capable enough to translate that understanding into the movie I want to see is another matter altogether.
Judging by the Alex Tse draft of WATCHMEN, which was done under Snyder's supervision and hadn't changed much by the time he got his final draft approved in November 2006, he doesn't get it.

While I think he earned plenty of cred with 300, all he really had to do in that case was to get the visual elements into place.
I didn't really like 300 much, so I don't even have that level of faith in him. That said, I don't care for Miller's graphic novel to begin with, though I do feel that what changes Snyder made were the wrong changes to make (hell, the movie was even more cartoonish than the graphic novel was!).

And he's building sets! Isn't that a relief already?
Well, sure. The look of this film was described as David Fincher-esque, which is interesting.

Snyder sounds like a geek about this stuff, which kind of gives me hope for this movie.

He could still **** it all up after its all said and done, of course, but I am glad this guy got the studio to make it R rated and let him make it as dark as it needs to be.
well the thing is i dont think he quite understands alot of what makes watchmen great. if he did, veidt would live, theyd be killed by an alien, and rorschach wouldnt have cheest lines like "dogs get put to sleep."

well the thing is i dont think he quite understands alot of what makes watchmen great. if he did, veidt would live, theyd be killed by an alien, and rorschach wouldnt have cheest lines like "dogs get put to sleep."

I am going to wait and see if those crappy changes are in the final cut. If it they are, then he will have screwed it up and I will certainly say so.

someone should start a thread with a poll asking do you think veidt should die, or how pissed would you be if veidt was killed. i know its a long shot, but studios to tend to keep their ear to the fan base. and if the response is strong enough, things can change. now, i dont think anyone here knows for certain if veidt will live or die in the film...but i think it'd be best to air on the side of precaution. i dont like starting threads, so someone else do it.

edit: f**k it, i'll start the thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"