Tyler Bates to Score Watchmen

The music in the Return of the Jedi scene I described would be the kind of thing I'd like for the scene where Rorschach goes through Eddie Blake's apartment and discovers he was the Comedian. What's playing at the moment when we see Boushh take in the scene of Han Solo in carbonite could be similar to the moment of the reveal of the Comedian's outfit.

The music in the Return of the Jedi scene I described would be the kind of thing I'd like for the scene where Rorschach goes through Eddie Blake's apartment and discovers he was the Comedian. What's playing at the moment when we see Boushh take in the scene of Han Solo in carbonite could be similar to the moment of the reveal of the Comedian's outfit.

I hear it more to the scene where he's framed and surrounded by cops. :up:

I prefer a traditional symphonic score for WATCHMEN ala Elliot Goldenthal or Howard Shore to a Kamen'esque sample-hell, but it would still be fitting to have some 80's sound-samples and atmosphere.
Bates will do fine, I think.

I might be way off, but I think someone like David Julyan comes to mind when I think of Watchmen. Something very minimalistic, particularly his score to The Prestige, the first track, for instance.

I don't know, just an idea.

Good call.
Wasn't he supposed to score Batman Begins?

I'll check him out somemore.

What music did you guys hear during watchmen?
A quiet, minimalistic score with strings, piano, and percussion.

I might be way off, but I think someone like David Julyan comes to mind when I think of Watchmen. Something very minimalistic, particularly his score to The Prestige, the first track, for instance.

That works for me.

Hell yes. I've been thinking the same thing for awhile. Its perfect.

A quiet, minimalistic score with strings, piano, and percussion.

You actually hear music while reading? I myself do not. I don't hear voices nor music while reading comics or books. I guess some people are more auditive.

i think something like the score to JFK or The Untouchables would work well.

I don't hear music while reading, but I can see something similar to Thomas Newman's work. Something lighter, building, understated, but capable of being bombastic at key moments.

yeah, the music should start out subtle with strings and keys. then as the story becomes bigger in scope, and the idea of paranoia and conspiracy take over, the music should reflect that becoming more "brassy", so to speak.

yeah, the music should start out subtle with strings and keys. then as the story becomes bigger in scope, and the idea of paranoia and conspiracy take over, the music should reflect that becoming more "brassy", so to speak.

Actually Howard Shore would've been really good for WATCHMEN.

He's very capable at doing odd minimalistic scores as well as epic, but still unique scores.

His stuff for David Cronenberg-movies would suit WATCHMEN and his stuff for LORD OF THE RINGS speaks for itself, I think.

But check out The FLY, ExistenZ, Silence of the Lambs and Se7en for the less commercial.

There's another scene from a movie that I imagined something similar musically would be good for a scene in Watchmen, again it's a John Williams piece.
The music from the scene in Superman:the movie/Superman II when the dome opens up for the Phantom Zone to come along and suck up Zod, Ursa and Non could well go with the part when Dr.Manhattan conjures up the large structure from the ground on Mars, very gradual, very grand.

For some reason I hear a lot of the MEET JOE BLACK score when I imagine what I'd want WATCHMEN to sound like. Very minimalistic, more background than bombastic "score", but building to something.

For some reason I hear a lot of the MEET JOE BLACK score when I imagine what I'd want WATCHMEN to sound like. Very minimalistic, more background than bombastic "score", but building to something.

They should use the score from No Country for Old Men. Except include "Ride of the Valkyries" for the Vietnam sequence.

Except include "Ride of the Valkyries" for the Vietnam sequence.

Tbh I can hear myself groaning already in the cinema if they use ROTV in the vietnam sequence, apart from the obvious, that's it's already Coppola's baby, it's been done to death in parodies etc. Although who knows, perhaps we need to be given exactly the usual kind of vietnam mix we're used to and then have a giant blue man appear, making the differences in the Watchmen world from ours all the more apparent. But, I can imagine Snyder and co trying it out in the editing suite and going 'nah, it's been done to death.'

^Thanks for that. I didn't know the background to the tune in DOTD, love that sequence. The video for the version of 'Beat it' is top class, man that was good.:up:

edit2add: and yeah, if he can get some kind of alternate universe version of a well known song into the movie without it being distracting, he should go for it, maybe in the background in some scene where folk might not quite catch it first time round if they're not looking out for it.

I really liked the 300 soundtrack but I'm sure something similar wouldn't work for Watchmen.

I think music should be used sparingly in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"