• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Comics Another hint for the possible return of 616 Ben Reilly

Who said he died?

reillyrevealcrop.jpg

This is really funny...

What part of "dead" and "dis-in-te-gra-ted" don't people understand? And what possible explaination, that is not COMPLETLY convoluted and ridiculous, could reverse that?

There is only one Spider-Man.

His name is Peter Parker.

As Ben was ONLY created to try to CHANGE those two facts, Ben is dead.

May he rest in peace.

Captivated said:
This is really funny...

What part of "dead" and "dis-in-te-gra-ted" don't people understand? And what possible explaination, that is not COMPLETLY convoluted and ridiculous, could reverse that?

There is only one Spider-Man.

His name is Peter Parker.

As Ben was ONLY created to try to CHANGE those two facts, Ben is dead.

May he rest in peace.

right, because Marvel has NEVER gone back on killing a character... :rolleyes:

And how many times do people have to type the whole freaking Incomplete/Complete clone continuity issue, before they drop the disinegration bull****. The facts are wrong, so stop using it as "the undeniable proof" you think it is

JackBauer said:
right, because Marvel has NEVER gone back on killing a character... :rolleyes:

True.

But damn this guy didn't vanish in an explosion, drown, or get shot etc. He turned to dust. Dust.

He's deader than Jacob Marley. And long may he stay that way.

Doc Ock said:
True.

But damn this guy didn't vanish in an explosion, drown, or get shot etc. He turned to dust. Dust.

Seconded.

Also, you left out that he was impaled by a goblin glider and dropped about 50 stories onto a car.

He was killed enough for three clones.

Doc Ock said:
True.

yes, and Magneto got his head chopped off, and Carnage got ripped in half, in space no less...

if there's one thing Marvel has taught us all these years, is that dead does not mean dead.

if they thought they'd make a buck out of it, they'd ressurect anyone.

btw, I'm not saying he SHOULD be resurrected. resurrections are always as bad an idea as killing a character for shock value.

unfortunately, we're talking about Quesada here. the man who thought Sins Past and The Other were good ideas. still think he wouldn't bring Reilly back?

Citizen_Kaine said:
And how many times do people have to type the whole freaking Incomplete/Complete clone continuity issue, before they drop the disinegration bull****. The facts are wrong, so stop using it as "the undeniable proof" you think it is
[SIZE=-1]"Facts" are indisputable truth by definition... they cannot be "wrong."

I think you mean people are arriving at the wrong conclusion... or what appears to be, is not what's so.

Whatever...

[/SIZE]Yeah, Marvel brings character back from the dead... some they should have NEVER killed in the first place. But, it's hardly ever done in a way that's not completely absurd.

But, I don't know why I'm debating this... I don't care that much about it and I don't think it will happen (I know, famous last words...).

There is only one true Spider-Man. His name is Peter Parker. Ben was created in a convoluted attempt to CHANGE those two facts. Thank goodness the attempt failed. Why should he come back?

Ugh

Right over all three of your heads

Incomplete = Maximum Clonage Spidey's: crumble

Complete = IE every other clone in the damn story: don't crumble

So Ben could be in Osborn's freaking closet for all I care, because the facts stated earlier show that the one you guy's love to point out turned in dust. DUST. Actually wasn't the real Benjamin Reilly

Did I mention the fact that cloning has a huge part to this particular characters backstory? Even if we didn't use the obvious back door given, the guy can be freaking cloned!!!!

Captivated said:
There is only one true Spider-Man. His name is Peter Parker. Ben was created in a convoluted attempt to CHANGE those two facts. Thank goodness the attempt failed. Why should he come back?

because, like it or not, there are still people who'd pay to read a story with Ben Reilly in it. and as long as there's money to be made, you can trust them to do all the wrong things.

bringing ben back is so easy...

we learn that he was secretly kept alive by norman and that the ben reilly that died was an actor or another clone or a robot or whatever...

is not really much more unlogic than kaines return or normans return, mendel stroms return, carnages return ect...

shinlyle said:
Also, you left out that he was impaled by a goblin glider and dropped about 50 stories onto a car.

He was killed enough for three clones.

HA! Yes, I forgot about that. Been that long since I read it ;)

JackBauer said:
yes, and Magneto got his head chopped off, and Carnage got ripped in half, in space no less...

I highlight again that Reilly was turned to dust. Magneto and Carnage still had actual bodies to ressurrect.

What do you do with a pile of dust?? Though I'm sure Queseda will think of something stupid.

JackBauer said:
unfortunately, we're talking about Quesada here. the man who thought Sins Past and The Other were good ideas. still think he wouldn't bring Reilly back?

Point taken.

Citizen_Kaine said:
Ugh

Right over all three of your heads

Incomplete = Maximum Clonage Spidey's: crumble

Complete = IE every other clone in the damn story: don't crumble

So Ben could be in Osborn's freaking closet for all I care, because the facts stated earlier show that the one you guy's love to point out turned in dust. DUST. Actually wasn't the real Benjamin Reilly

Did I mention the fact that cloning has a huge part to this particular characters backstory? Even if we didn't use the obvious back door given, the guy can be freaking cloned!!!!

I get the whole "incomplete/complete" thing. I just don't care.

Let's look at the explanation neccesary if the clone that died WAS Ben"

He wasn't complete, and, like many of the Jackal's other clones, died after it served it's purpose...or maybe clone bodies don't take to being impaled and dropped from a building, and the clone body burnt itself out while trying to repair itself. Whatever. If he died, then Spider-man #75 was authentic, and bringing him back is stupid.

If the clone we saw die WASN'T Ben, then what explanation have we got?

1-He was put into a dormant state by Osborn to be brainwashed and sent after Spidey at a later date (lame).

2-Ben escaped from Osborn's clutches off panel, and set loose another clone with a limited lifespan so that he could assume a life all his own in parts unknown so that Peter wouldn't seek him out or worry about him. (equally lame, due to the fact that Ben, being a clone, would never create another clone).

3-Ben is angry at Spidey for failing to save the imperfect clone, and wants vengence for all his fallen clone brothers. (LAME)

There are tons more explanations, but the point is this: Ben died a hero, and he clearly died. He could be brought back, and it could be explained away, but it would ruin the character in some way shape or form.

He'd dead, and, while I know Quesada would be the *****ebag to bring him back, he should be left dead and buried...or blown into the wind, as it were.

Heh, even thiough your posts usually argue against mine Shin', their usually pretty good . No different this time bro, your right, Ben died a hero, and thats an excellent way to go, and yeah those scenario's are pretty terrible, and thus most likely the ones Marvel would choose.

However there are ways of doing it right, most people seem to be hung up on the replacing of Peter Parker, fact is, the best thing about Reilly to me, was the sibling dynamic he had with Pete, and the interaction the two of them had together. Ben could eaisly be brought back in an manner that makes sense and keeps consistancy quality wise. Over in the Reilly thread, there was an incredible idea, regarding Ben showing up again and trying to bring Parker back to his street roots. Personally I thought the Scarlet Hood idea would be pay dirt, given the little amount of thought, Peter puts towards the guy who jumped in front of a glider for him. Just tone down the cloning (Osborn basically get Reilly, knowing he had a eventual trump card up his sleeve with), no brainwashing needed, Reilly escapes, and gets pissed of at Peter for ruining his own life, and not killing Osborn, or even caring about Reilly in the slightest.

Citizen_Kaine said:
Heh, even thiough your posts usually argue against mine Shin', their usually pretty good . No different this time bro, your right, Ben died a hero, and thats an excellent way to go, and yeah those scenario's are pretty terrible, and thus most likely the ones Marvel would choose.

However there are ways of doing it right, most people seem to be hung up on the replacing of Peter Parker, fact is, the best thing about Reilly to me, was the sibling dynamic he had with Pete, and the interaction the two of them had together. Ben could eaisly be brought back in an manner that makes sense and keeps consistancy quality wise. Over in the Reilly thread, there was an incredible idea, regarding Ben showing up again and trying to bring Parker back to his street roots. Personally I thought the Scarlet Hood idea would be pay dirt, given the little amount of thought, Peter puts towards the guy who jumped in front of a glider for him. Just tone down the cloning (Osborn basically get Reilly, knowing he had a eventual trump card up his sleeve with), no brainwashing needed, Reilly escapes, and gets pissed of at Peter for ruining his own life, and not killing Osborn, or even caring about Reilly in the slightest.

See, that's my thing. Ben, like him or not, went out a hero. For him to return, it would ruin that legacy. It's already ashame that Peter never even thinks about someone he considered a "brother".

That, and I have ZERO faith that ANYONE at Marvel could EVER bring Ben back from the dead without using the most incredibly stupid idea possible. Look at the "Other" and "Sins Past". Those two storylines could both have been great if Mysterio or Chameleon or some other underplayed villian emerged at the last second so gloat about how they had tricked Spider-man into believing whatever the hell they wanted him to believe.

Somewhere during the process of conjuring up a great story, Joe Q walks in and says, "I think this would be cool! Do this instead!!!" Then we're left with more of what we've gotten for the past five years. Peter was supposed to originally be the father of Gwen's kids....Joe Q said no....Spider-Man wasn't going to be unmasked during Civil War.....Joe Q stepped in and said "Unmask Spidey publicly!"
I don't trust Marvel with anything lately. The only thing they've done right thus far is relaunch Spider-Girl, and we all know that Quesada and Co. will just abandon it after the first few issues if it doesn't sell a bajillion copies.

Why not have him pop up in X-men in a time travel/alternate universe setting and then jump ship?

ANYBODY can be resurrected in comics.

Previously only Bucky and Uncle Ben and Jason Todd were the definite stay dead characters in comics (and I suppose the Parker and Wayne parents).

Resurrecting Ben Reilly:

1) Take one bag of clone dust

2) Add water

3) Mix until it thickens

4) Place in microwave on HIGH for four minutes

You're done!

Captivated said:

A scientist happens upon a sample of Ben's clone-dust, and uses it to extract the DNA and re-creates him.

Not that I'm super gung-ho about Ben one way or another, but that's just a way out that I could see...

JQ said:
not any time soon that i'm aware of
Translation: I can't really say no seeing as we're dealing with comics, where anything happens.

JQ said:
Then again, it's not like I would actually tell you if we were.
Translation:You are no closer to knowing whether he'll be back any time soon.

Overall translation: pointless thread, i'm afraid. i can't see ANY hint of ben reilly coming back in his true form any time soon.

Lt. Figgnuts said:
A scientist happens upon a sample of Ben's clone-dust, and uses it to extract the DNA and re-creates him.

Not that I'm super gung-ho about Ben one way or another, but that's just a way out that I could see...

he degenerated. when people die and they go to dust so does their DNA. i.e. no DNA would be found.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"