• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Comics Man, Why do they keep teasing us with a Ben Reilly Return??

kguillou

Avenger
Reaction score
Seriously, this is starting to get to me, i was reading the comic con interview with the new creative team on amazing on ign http://comics.ign.com/articles/808/808977p1.html.

The interviewer asks "Q: There's been a Scarlet Spider reference... is Ben Reilly coming back?"

Slott: Check out Avengers: The Initiative #7. Very important to Peter Parker.

Why do they keep teasing us with Ben when we all know that he's dead. I loved the Scarlet Spider to death but just let the guy rest in peace. They've been dropping hints here and there for like the last 3 years for his return.

they arent...they're teasing a Scarlet Spider return...totally different things :o

This is the same sort of thing that fans of Barry Allen have to deal with. The publishers need to have SOME way of getting their sadistic kicks, otherwise they just don't know what to do with themselves.

Because they know some fans cling to the hopeless hope that Reilly will return, so they have a little fun with it. Kinda like a cat playing with a dead mouse.

I agree, they like to mess with us. *cough*PAD*cough*

Buuuut... Hal Jordan and Oliver Queen and others were dead for good despite fans wanting them to come back... and then they did. Not saying Reilly has the same stature, but meh, it's in the realm of possibility. Although personally I'd be surprised if we ever get a Reilly reference again after Brand New Day.

relax they're just using the codename scarlet spider to descride the team using the iron spider armor

I personally think it is feasible for him to come back at some point but they need to work out what role he'll play and how exactly to do it.

besides, it's quite an easy way to make some cash or cause some controversy so they'll probably save that gem for another time.

for the moment they'll just mess with our heads a bit. I'm sure something about big as that won't be discared so easily, they'll be a big build up to it.

Because they know some fans cling to the hopeless hope that Reilly will return, so they have a little fun with it. Kinda like a cat playing with a dead mouse.

Who you calling a dead mouse? :cmad:

This mouse is alive and kickin'. I'm like Ratatouie, i gotta dream!

But yeah, the teasing is sometimes the only thing that keeps me coming back...they dangle a carrot in front of me and i come running. :woot: I'm such a sucker.

I personally think it is feasible for him to come back at some point but they need to work out what role he'll play and how exactly to do it.

That's an interesting point and something i've wondered about. They wouldn't even consider bringing him back until they can figure out how he fits in Peter Parker's life. Is he a villain? a supporting character? a rival?

If they brought him back and told some beautifully written Kraven's Last Hunt type story that concluded by killing him off again, i would still be happy because at least he'd have the appropriate send-off and closure and would be an important part of Spidey-lore.

besides, it's quite an easy way to make some cash or cause some controversy so they'll probably save that gem for another time.

Exactly, the possibility is always there, they're just saving that arc for the right time...when that is...who knows? Probably when the Spidey titles are getting boring and there aren't any events on the horizon will they consider playing the Reilly chip.

for the moment they'll just mess with our heads a bit. I'm sure something about big as that won't be discared so easily, they'll be a big build up to it.

Yeah, if they finally do decide to bring back Ben, then there will have to be massive buildup and speculation beforehand. I think it's why so many people got excited about "The Other" when it was first announced.

they like to drink our freshly shed tears... those bastards...

they like to drink our freshly shed tears... those bastards...
somehow I'm waiting for him like he's coming back soon...

I would personally LOVE ben reilly to come back, he was an amazing character and i dont think he lived up to his potential. The whole "brother" chemistry between him and Peter was so well done. BUT at the same time, if they do bring him back, it'll probly cheapen his very memorable death, (Spider-Man #75 is my favorite issue of all time). So i'm torn between whether it would be better to ressurect him or keep him resting in peace. They already cheapened May's death, i wouldnt want the same for Ben.

I would personally LOVE ben reilly to come back, he was an amazing character and i dont think he lived up to his potential. The whole "brother" chemistry between him and Peter was so well done. BUT at the same time, if they do bring him back, it'll probly cheapen his very memorable death, (Spider-Man #75 is my favorite issue of all time). So i'm torn between whether it would be better to ressurect him or keep him resting in peace. They already cheapened May's death, i wouldnt want the same for Ben.

I'd probably agree with you on that one but i hate the fact that the issue (and Ben's death) is never mentioned. If Peter at least had the occasional flashback regarding Norman's return, Baby May's "death", and Ben's death then i'd be much more inclined to let Spider-Man #75 remain untouched....but it's like it never happened...:csad:

yea i know, it makes no sense how such an important and critical part of Spiderman's life is never mentioned, is Marvel THAT ashamed of the clone saga? I wish that it ended differently, i think it should've ended with Peter and Ben defeating the Green Goblin together as "Brothers", and then Ben decides move away to Europe or something and start a new life. That way, the door would always be open for his return, but no, Marvel wanted to rid themselves of him forever.

Irony of it is that they can't truly get rid of it. No matter what attempts they do take. Even with Ultimate Spider-man going down that road.

Jason Todd is alive.....no one stays dead in comics, sadly.

-R

True...no one stays dead forever it seems....but, sadly, i am not sure what purpose there is to bringing back a character like this who is just a carbon copy clone of another hero. (Although admittedly there are a bunch of fans of his it seems).

I can see them bringing back the "Scarlet Spider" as in the outfit or something on another person...but it is still too close to being just another Spider-Man really...and since they're having enough trouble writing HIM it right now....i don't see them trying to write an ongoing about a CLONE of the real thing. The fact is, there will always be more interest in the real spider-man over a copy. That pretty much would ring true for ANY hero at any company, especially one as iconic as Pete/Spidey.

I think. When Spider-man doesn't have a movie down the road, they get to a mediocre time in the story where the sales start dropping even on the Amazing Spider-man and they really need something to bring readers back.

Ben Reilly will be back. He'll most likely have already gone through his "the Other" moment and come out like Peter. But somehow he'll be a better spider and have better spider powers than Peter for some reason. They go through this whole thing where people don't know if he's a villain or not, or if it is even Ben Reilly. Something like that would go on for a little longer than it should, and then have another cheap ending to just get rid of the story.

Jason Todd is alive.....no one stays dead in comics, sadly.

-R

Thomas and Martha Wayne
Dick Graysons parents
Cassie whatsherface who was Robin
Synch
Kraven
Thunderbird I
:cwink:

Wasn't Thunderbird I alive in AoA?

Cause.... that would mean... he didn't stay dead!

Gwen Stacy has stayed dead with the exception of the countless clones.

They might be doing a Jason Todd with him. In Batman they built up his return for years (starting with Hush) before they actually brought him back right before Infinite Crisis...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"