• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Comics Man, Why do they keep teasing us with a Ben Reilly Return??

They might be doing a Jason Todd with him. In Batman they built up his return for years (starting with Hush) before they actually brought him back right before Infinite Crisis...

I really felt like Millar's MK Knights Spidey run was Spider-Man's "Hush" story...all the signs pointed toward Ben Reilly being Aunt May's kidnapper before it's revealed to be a B-villain instead (Scorpion/Clayface).

Actually it was really just Norman the whole time was it not?

alternate realities don't count.

then technically, uncle ben ought to stay on the "Dead means Dead" list. right?

True...no one stays dead forever it seems....but, sadly, i am not sure what purpose there is to bringing back a character like this who is just a carbon copy clone of another hero. (Although admittedly there are a bunch of fans of his it seems).

Cause controversy, make money, and to appease a cultish minority? :woot:

I can see them bringing back the "Scarlet Spider" as in the outfit or something on another person...but it is still too close to being just another Spider-Man really...and since they're having enough trouble writing HIM it right now....i don't see them trying to write an ongoing about a CLONE of the real thing. The fact is, there will always be more interest in the real spider-man over a copy. That pretty much would ring true for ANY hero at any company, especially one as iconic as Pete/Spidey.

I actually agree with this. Superman Red and Blue was ******ed...

But I think a lot of us enjoy the character because he isn't exactly the same as Peter Parker. First off, he's blonde. He also has his own untapped history and slightly different views on life. Aaaaand, is "unburdened" by the marriage that so many seem to hate (which i suppose, was the intent of his creation in the first place). Did i mention that he's blonde? :woot:

But most importantly, I'd argue that the two years of the Clone Saga placed Ben as a very prominent and important character in the MU and the Spidey titles. He was the focal point of perhaps the largest Spidey event ever. That should earn him a place in Spider-Man history...Kyle Rayner had a lasting impact on the Green Lantern titles (obviously...:whatever:) and even now that Hal is the "main" GL, he is bound to encounter tons of stories involving Kyle, his past actions, his influence, and characters he's encountered (btw, i think DC is much better at character interactions and put more of a focus on their comradery, not to mention the whole "Legacy" thing...here's looking at you Kon-El :up:). Obviously, this comparison doesn't really work because DC stuck to their guns with Rayner unlike Marvel.

But I wouldn't even argue that Reilly be given his own title (although i'd snatch EVERY issue) so that the franchise character isn't "watered down", but rather that he become an important character within the Spider-Man titles. There's so much potential there.

they arent...they're teasing a Scarlet Spider return...totally different things :o

Much wisdom in so few words...Good job.
Any comic fan realizes that any comic character is a "persona", and rarely has to have anything to do with who adopts the persona.

well, maybe with Ben Reilly back, we can get something like a "what if" but who fits in continuuity if you see my point, have a "Spider-man" take roads that count but which didnt' affect the real Spider-Man. And maybe if it seems that they might have something to fit the unmasking in "one more day", have Ben return could in some very convuloted way correct the unmasking.

By the way, I think that Ben Reilly was developping in a different character, so I think it was cool to keep him alive.

But personaly I don't like the "new" scarlet spiders, because as War Machine said it, they're here to replace Peter as Spider-Man. I would be cool with the idea of them being other Spider-Men, not the replacement of Peter Parker. Now I really want to see Spidey kick their ass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"