The Flash The Barry Allen/The Flash Thread - Part 4

The scene where Grant is speaking to John Wesley Shipp in prison was some of the best acting by any CW lead.

O/T but I keep forgetting which part of his name is his first name and last name lol.

Grant is really good. Its nice to have a likable hero for a change instead another brooder. Don't get me wrong, Oliver, Bruce, Logan etc are cool but it is nice to get back to having humble likable guys instead of having tortured souls in costumes all the damn time.

Barry really reminds me of Garfields Peter Parker in this show. I feel like he has a lot of similar mannerisms and way of speaking. They also look quite a bit alike IMO

I wonder if they will use him for the JL movie, he is getting a lot of praise for the role and he has the role down. Has the age and the acting chops as well

After seeing last night's episode, I'm am now 100% sold on Grant Gustin playing Barry. I was 90% sold with Arrow and still feeling alright after the pilot, but something just clicked for me after episode 2. This guy is outstanding in the role.

This makes the DC movie announcement all the more disappointing. Ezra Miller is a good actor and I liked him in Perks of Being a Wallflower. However, he just doesn't strike me as any Flash - Barry, Wally, Bart or otherwise. He's been in too many dark/emotional roles for me to visualize in the yellow and red Flash get-up.

But if Gustin could change so many minds after his first round of acting came to light, maybe Ezra can do it too.

What's gonna happen if people like Grant Gustin's Flash more than Ezra Miller's Flash?

Very silly of WB.

What's gonna happen if people like Grant Gustin's Flash more than Ezra Miller's Flash?
Nothing. What would you expect to happen?

People will still watch the TV show, and if the movie is any good (or, let's be real, even if it isn't) people will watch that too.

2 episodes in and im now a changed man, i wish they were using Gustin in the movies.

Really didn't expect to be saying that when the TV show was announced or when Gustin was announced.

2 episodes in and im now a changed man, i wish they were using Gustin in the movies.

Really didn't expect to be saying that when the TV show was announced or when Gustin was announced.

The exact same feeling hit me when I read the announcement as well. I thoroughly enjoyed Ezra Miller's performance in Perks of Being a Wallflower. In fact, he was probably my favorite character in that movie. But as the Flash? I instantly thought "Oh man. I'm really disappointed that the CW series aren't going to connect now."

And then I remembered how many reservations I had when Grant Gustin was announced for the show. That certainly turned around pretty quickly.

Barry really reminds me of Garfields Peter Parker in this show. I feel like he has a lot of similar mannerisms and way of speaking. They also look quite a bit alike IMO

I think Grant brings more emotional characteristics to Barry than Andrew does to Peter. But I definitely see this as far as the look goes.

To bad actress who is playing Iris is not anywhere close to Emma Stone and their chemistry.

Good to know I'm not the only one who thinks this. :word:

I feel like Barry and Iris aren't meant to have a lot of chemistry at this point in the show to drive home the idea that they are in a weird situation where one wants the other but they just aren't going to work out as things stand at the moment. This wouldn't be an issue, though, if she at least had chemistry with the guy she's supposed to like (Eddie/Eobard/whatever). Unfortunately, I'm not feeling it between them either.

I feel like Barry and Iris aren't meant to have a lot of chemistry at this point in the show to drive home the idea that they are in a weird situation where one wants the other but they just aren't going to work out as things stand at the moment. This wouldn't be an issue, though, if she at least had chemistry with the guy she's supposed to like (Eddie/Eobard/whatever). Unfortunately, I'm not feeling it between them either.

I have an aversion to the actress. She isn't a Margot Kidder, or even an Emma Stone. There is something about her delivery I just don't like. I don't think she has female lead written over her performance. Could be how she is written, kind of a valley girl with no substance. I have no problem saying how striking she looks, she just doesn't seem like a great actress at all. In every single scene, her intro, acting and expression is the same on her face. She is just a miscast to me and if and when the writers do make Barry and Iris an item, I'll find it hard to see that, simply for the fact that there isn't any chemistry between the actors/characters. Candice and Rick are ok together. Grant and Candice, not so much.

tumblr_ng12yvBmFF1rno81do1_500.jpg

Anybody think Barry being OOC this season is too obvious? Grant is still a really strong actor, it kind of sucks the writers aren't giving him more independence as a hero. I've seen moments where he figures out how to solve battles but he's got a big problem with diving head in first without knowing his opponent's main weakness.

Anybody think Barry being OOC this season is too obvious? Grant is still a really strong actor, it kind of sucks the writers aren't giving him more independence as a hero. I've seen moments where he figures out how to solve battles but he's got a big problem with diving head in first without knowing his opponent's main weakness.

Yeah, the problem is that they can't really portray him like they do in the comics because most of the other characters of the show would be redundant that way. Barry is supposed to be a smart guy who is able to think of his feet and take care of villains on his own without others assitance, but he has to be dumbed down so that there is a reason for Cisco, Caitlin, Joe, and the rest to be around. By now this Barry has really become the TV version of the Flash, not only by how much more of a jokester and fumbling doofus he is here, but also by how incompetent he is most of the time.

Is he by default supposed to appear so weak-minded? Couldn't we get some character progression this season? Maybe when he has to face Killer Frost? He doesn't have any fighting skills yet. 33 episodes in and Barry has only trained once with Oliver, other times we just see him running on the treadmill to get faster. How is he any match for a real fighter? Some metas can actually fight. Barry has the super sonic punch, but they can't always use that move for every knock out.

RUN Barry Run!
[YT]ND1i6S2YXTI[/YT]

The Monologue
[YT]xBXOajvS43g[/YT]

Opening Season 1/2

I'm hoping Barry has learned his lesson and doesn't mess up the timeline again. To put Iris over his own mother wouldn't make sense. I also hope the show doesn't lose Joe, I love that man, Barry better not do anything rash.

I'm hoping Barry has learned his lesson and doesn't mess up the timeline again. To put Iris over his own mother wouldn't make sense. I also hope the show doesn't lose Joe, I love that man, Barry better not do anything rash.

TV Barry is an idiot on purpose, they need him to be stupid, how else are they able to get to the stories done they want to tell? It is the unfortunate luck of Barry that the writers seem to have taken a liking to the idea that you can use time-travel as an easy mean for 'good' story-telling, same with speedster villains. Barry will proceed being an idiot because he has to be, otherwise they writers seriously would have to put up their game, and I don't see that happening.

This is the problem with TV shows contrary to comic books or movies (not that those media don't bring their own problems), the writers have often limited time to work on the plot, often you've many of them writing different episodes, and everybody wants to leave their fingerprint on the show. They also need to tell a story within 24 episodes, which sounds much, but really isn't with such a crowded cast, and they can only work with a very limited budget compare to movies. Then, there is also the fact that it is CW, so you need the romance bs.

For what it is, it is a good show, but they will never not dumb down Barry or any other powerful hero/villain because otherwise they aren't able to work them.

Last edited:
It just essentially blows that a character I love might be killed off over Iris whom I really won't miss. Barry will make the same mistakes over again, having learned nothing. Can't they find better writers who respect the material but also try to make the character seem intelligent? The limited budget should make the stories at least seem better. Buffy had a really low budget and the writers always made sure the stories stood out, even the worst seasons 6-7 were better than anything the CW is producing now. It's just sad because I know grant can do it, so can Danielle, Carlos, Keiynan and Jesse, they all can do with better material.

Yeah I love the show, so I'm waiting for what they have up their sleeve in a few weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"