‘Kung Fu’ series reboot in the works from Fox

Kaleb

2010 & 2018 SHHFFL Champion
Reaction score
‘Kung Fu’ Female-Led Series Reboot From Greg Berlanti & Wendy Mericle Set At Fox As Put Pilot

The new Kung Fu follows the adventures of Lucy Chang, a Buddhist monk and kung fu master who travels through 1950s America armed only with her spiritual training and her martial arts skills as she searches for the man who stole her child years before. When she teams with JT Cullen, a charming Korean War vet with his own secrets, the two form an unlikely alliance that allows Lucy to continue her search while also coming to the aid of people in need. (It is unclear whether Carradine’s character and Lucy Chang are related.)

Didn't someone try to do a movie or TV show reboot a few years ago and it went nowhere?

Could be interesting. I like the female lead and it being set in the past.

Didn't someone try to do a movie or TV show reboot a few years ago and it went nowhere?

there WAS a reboot series that went for a season or two back in the 90's... I think it was called Kung Fu Continues or something like that... it was David Carradine as the descendant of Kwai Chang Caine, in contemporary New York, along with his son, who was a police detective... it also starred Robert Lansing... if I remember, it was kind of lame in some episodes while others weren't THAT bad...

there WAS a reboot series that went for a season or two back in the 90's... I think it was called Kung Fu Continues or something like that... it was David Carradine as the descendant of Kwai Chang Caine, in contemporary New York, along with his son, who was a police detective... it also starred Robert Lansing... if I remember, it was kind of lame in some episodes while others weren't THAT bad...

Yeah, I remember seeing that show here and there. I checked but there were previous attempts to make a prequel, reboot, remake, etc.

"Ooh... A new take on a... GREG BERLANTI? Hard pass."

Your Kung-Fu knowledge is weak. :oldrazz:

Kung-Fu: The Legend Continues ran four seasons with a proper series finale where the son (a cop named Peter) struggled with his duality as a police officer and a Shaolin monk whose father (also named Kwai Chang Caine) often got involved in cases or crimes that Peter was investigating. As I recall it took place in San Francisco, not New York.

I watched the whole thing a few years back on Netflix. It was properly a sequel (they were direct descendents) which took place in the then modern era of the 1990's.

A female-led reboot isn't a bad idea but setting it in the 1950's? I'm not sure if that is a good idea or a bad one yet.

Your Kung-Fu knowledge is weak. :oldrazz:

Kung-Fu: The Legend Continues ran four seasons with a proper series finale where the son (a cop named Peter) struggled with his duality as a police officer and a Shaolin monk whose father (also named Kwai Chang Caine) often got involved in cases or crimes that Peter was investigating. As I recall it took place in San Francisco, not New York.

I watched the whole thing a few years back on Netflix. It was properly a sequel (they were direct descendents) which took place in the then modern era of the 1990's.

A female-led reboot isn't a bad idea but setting it in the 1950's? I'm not sure if that is a good idea or a bad one yet.

you are correct, sir, my Kung Fu knowledge in this case IS very weak... blame my memory cells as being on the endangered species list... age and time and other contributing substance factors have left my memory in the state that it is now... dazed and confused... :funny:

In comparison to modern day, I think the advantage of a '50s show (other than the usual) is that martial arts would have still had some mystique about it. Nowadays we have mixed martial arts as a popular sport and kids taking karate lessons, and someone coming into town who knows kung-fu wouldn't mean much, but that was before Bruce Lee films were a thing.

In comparison to the 1800s setting of the original show...well, I'm pretty sure Lucy Chang is going to be Asian this time, and while it might not have been impossible for an Asian woman back then to wander around helping people, gender and race issues would quickly dominate the show.

Again folks... B-E-R-L-A-N-T-I.

With no audience willing to give something a pass because "powers/costumes" this thing will crash and burn. He might be a nice guy who is kind to children and animals but Greg makes stupendously mediocre tv. He just does.

I K-N-O-W. I like his shows. And for the record, it isn't only his DC stuff that's been successful.

In comparison to modern day, I think the advantage of a '50s show (other than the usual) is that martial arts would have still had some mystique about it. Nowadays we have mixed martial arts as a popular sport and kids taking karate lessons, and someone coming into town who knows kung-fu wouldn't mean much, but that was before Bruce Lee films were a thing.

In comparison to the 1800s setting of the original show...well, I'm pretty sure Lucy Chang is going to be Asian this time, and while it might not have been impossible for an Asian woman back then to wander around helping people, gender and race issues would quickly dominate the show.
Yeah, it is the race, gender and cultural issues that are my main concern. It has to be carefully managed. Too much of it beating the audience in the head is going to drive people away just as much as ignoring it and pretending there wasn't and isn't a continued issue with all three of those. Sticking it in the 1950's just magnifies all three even more than if it were modern times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"