“Baltimore, or the Steadfast Tin Soldier and the Vampire!" by David Goyer!

Advanced Dark

Avenger
Reaction score
http://www.actressarchives.com/news.php?id=8224

David Goyer to make another vampire movie

Friday, September 28, 2007

The director of Blade, David Goyer, has been tapped to direct another vampire movie, “Baltimore, or the Steadfast Tin Soldier and the Vampire”, based on the graphic novel by Hellboy scribe Mike Mignola and Christopher Golden. Mike Mignola and Christopher Golden will adapt the novel themselves and David Goyer will direct for New Regency. The deal, according to Variety, is worth seven figures for the book and scripting fees by Goyer, Mignola, and Golden. It’s already a big project and will be produced by John Baldecchi and Stacy Maes.

“Baltimore, or the Steadfast Tin Soldier and the Vampire” was just published by Bantam Books and tells the story of the awakening of a supreme evil on Earth. According to Variety, Lord Baltimore is bitten by a vampire bat on a battlefield during World War I. After his family is destroyed by the plague, Lord Baltimore creates a team to hunt and fight someone called the Red King, who is apparently that pure evil thing. Sounds cool. Mignola created Lord Baltimore and Hellboy and, according to Variety, was also a conceptual artist on Bram Stoker’s Dracula and Blade 2 with David Goyer. Golden’s writing credits include the novels The Myth Hunters and Wildwood Road. Three of his titles are being developed into feature films.

David Goyer is directing Magneto, the spin-off of The X-Men franchise for Fox and he recently did script work for the Doug Liman-directed Jumper for Regency. The 41-year-old David Goyer has only directed two major films – Blade: Trinity and The Invisible, but also developed Threshold for CBS. He’s a major writer with credits on The Crow: City of Angels, Dark City, Blade, Blade II, Blade: Trinity, Batman Begins, Jumper, and the filming The Dark Knight. David Goyer is also done screenplay work on the in pre-production The Flash and Magneto.

Could be damn cool!

Except that it has David Goyer attached (especially as director)

It's got Goyer as a director, but he's not writing it. Mignola and Golden are writing it from their own book. So he's not fully in control. Or atleast i hope not.

The book was excellent. I recomend those who are interested in this read the book. I actually just read about the movie now. I read the book about a week ago. The book shows that it isn't just Mignola's atmospheric art that sucks you into Hellboy, but the writing as well. And Baltimore is the damn most atmospheric book i've ever read. If you take the first several chapters of Dracula, where Jonathan Harker is in the castle and make an entire novel out of that atmosphere alone, throw in elements of Moby Dick, Frankenstein, were-animal/Norse mythology and Creature of the Black Lagoon, and you have Baltimore. All the influence is there, quite obviously, but so different. And it's just so badass.

Some people have a problem with how it ends. I didn't, but perhaps they'll fix it for the film.

Mike Mignola and Chris Golden? Okay, that's pretty great.

Goyer?

... I'll reserve my negativity for later. Let's just call it cautious pissimism.

This should be a Guillermo del Toro project.

About everyone saying Goyers not writing it...did you miss this part of the article?

"The deal, according to Variety, is worth seven figures for the book and scripting fees by Goyer, Mignola, and Golden. It’s already a big project and will be produced by John Baldecchi and Stacy Maes."

the words scripting fees and Goyer specifically kinda make it seem like he is gonna have his hand in it.

And I agree it's more a Del Toro thing. He should adapt all Mignolas stuff.

Wow, I'm all for originality, but why does the title have to be so damn weird?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"