• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

‘Resident Evil’ | Netflix Series

[looks at the RE video games]

Look, its hit or miss if Capcom can do a good RE game.
They should have just adapted the Winters family story. That deals with the origins of Umbrella, where the virus came from, and tells a good straightforward story about a father trying to save his family. It has vampires, werewolves, eldritch beasts, giants, undead etc.

Quite enjoyed the action in episode 4. There hasn’t been too much school stuff. There’s been references to the games and the
chainsaw guy
in episode 4. In Episode 5 they're
solving puzzles just like in an old RE game.

Like the first season of The Witcher they’re using multiple timelines, and while this can lead to jumping around a bit I’m not lost. You got the sisters/family story in the past and the broken family where you see through Jade in the future. I was worried when this was announced that it’d be too much like Supernatural given the producers and it hasn’t, it’s more it’s own thing...with the tropes and references of RE.

Last edited:
Too much of everything for my taste.
Teen drama, camp, serious, ridiculous, random acting.
It is on par with the Mila movies as far as I'm concerned.

What I liked: the actress playing adulte Jade, she is pretty.

@Teelie : fermented beverage will not make it easier, neither will euphorical plant. I tried.

Last edited:
Resident Evil the TV show - My pluses, minuses, and notes after completion
This entire first season is about Umbrella, while serving as the origin story for two pivotal characters.

positives
+ family story drama for mass audience relatability
+ two timelines for an 'epic' feeling of scope (like The Witcher Season 1)
+ adventure and location-hopping for an 'epic' feeling of scope
+ new characters and new story for less predictability
+ high production values
+ good action...when it happens
+ Resident Evil series video game story references (not overwhelming but just the right amount for a new story)
+ puzzle-solving and other RE video game tropes
+ some neat teases if they make a season 2 including
a substantial RE series video game character
A former forum avatar I used to have here: Ada Wong!

mixed
+/- acting

negatives
- teen school drama (really wasn't too much of it at all, thankfully!)
- Umbrella could've been a lot smarter about security
- some tonal whiplash going between campy comedy and serious scenes (Episode 7 in general is the biggest offender), but it's not like the video games didn't do that too especially in some of the English localizations
- episode 7 in general is the worst :down episode of the season overall (goofy product placement included! even a
character twist made goofy!
)
- song selection often doesn't fit scenes
- needed more zombie action and horror and some less drama, angst, & comedy especially in the second half of the season
- core concept for the show was getting stretched a little thin in the last two episodes especially in the 'past' timeline.
The past timeline is also NOT all wrapped up by the end.

I might be among the minority, but I think the show deserves a passing grade. It ain't Stranger Things or Midnight Mass but at least it surpassed my expectations a bit. Is it the best RE live-action show or movie yet? I dunno, maybe? I haven't seen them all, and it hasn't been a high bar to meet. Sure the show can be shlocky at times, but so is the game series - which to me doesn't quite deserve a pedestal and glass encasing for it to be all that precious about it.

With Welcome To Raccoon City already being out there it wasn't the time for the same old adaptation of the same old games and characters and I'm open minded for new stories that don't have to just attempt to copy the thin stories of the video games for a TV series that has to also fill up a lot more time than a movie. Overall, I didn't feel like I wasted my time at least, which is more than I can say for some other recent sci-fi shows and zombie shows I've either seen or dipped out of early on unlike this one.

Last edited:
Starting episode 1 and....so far it feels like TWD: New World or whatever with the teen sisters.

I really dont know why they think its good to have this be firmly set in a world that is already existing in the games and all that is part of it.

I'm still confused how Umbrella is back and controlling its own city that they publicly renamed NEW RACCOON CITY.

Umbrella has been party to major outbreaks before...and their security has somehow gotten worse?

I'm still confused how Umbrella is back and controlling its own city that they publicly renamed NEW RACCOON CITY.

Umbrella has been party to major outbreaks before...and their security has somehow gotten worse?

Yeah....see I know of this franchise, basic premise, watched the movies but....this a mess to follow so much pre-existing continutiy.

• Resident Evil Zero (July 1998)
  • Resident Evil (July 1998)
  • Resident Evil 2 (September 1998)
  • Resident Evil 3 (September 1998)
  • Resident Evil: Code Veronica (December 1998)
  • Resident Evil: Infinite Darkness [Penamstan Civil War flashbacks] (2000)
  • Resident Evil 4 (2004)
  • Resident Evil: Revelations (2004-2005)
  • Resident Evil: Degeneration (2005)
  • Resident Evil: Infinite Darkness (2006)
  • Resident Evil 5 (2009)
  • Resident Evil: Revelations 2 (2011)
  • Resident Evil: Damnation (2011)
  • Resident Evil 6 (2012-2013)
  • Resident Evil: Vendetta (2014)
  • Resident Evil 7 (2017)
  • Resident Evil: Village (2021)
  • Resident Evil Netflix series (New Raccoon City scenes, 2022)
  • Resident Evil Netflix series (2036)

Well how was Umbrella able to come back after being party to a major viral outbreak that got a city nuked and wiped off the map?

Not to mention the world already knows about BOWs in 2022 and they should know about Wesker as well.

No person in their right mind would want to live in NEW Raccoon City.

Evelyn Marcus mentions that the company (Umbrella) was taken away from her father (or grandfather?) in the past, presumably being James Marcus.

Also the people of New Raccoon City work for Umbrella or for shops servicing Umbrella. It's one of those company towns.

Netflix's 'Resident Evil' never divorces its story from the games. Is that on purpose?

At least some of this happened in the world of Netflix's Resident Evil. Raccoon City was the site of the original outbreak in 1998, caused by the Umbrella-created t-virus just like it was in the game. What's more, a subsequent cover-up erased the city, its population, and any evidence of what happened.

None of this is to say that the Netflix story is fully set within the same universe as all the games. But it's not subtle about referencing a fictional history that seems to tie in with the events of the games. Raccoon City is one example, but there are others. Like Wesker, for instance.
Here's the thing: Resident Evil, the Netflix one, really doesn't ever fully divorce itself from the games. The show could've done a better job of building tension into its scattered handful of horror moments — if there's one note I'd want to send along ahead of Season 2, it's "more scares, please" — but when it comes to the plot, this Netflix take is content to either pull directly from the source or at least not directly refute something that happened in the games.

Last edited:
I tried to watch this yesterday, but in the opening I was already annoyed by the running zombies... then after about half an hour I gave up because of all the teen high school stuff.

I'll probably give it another shot because I like horror, but I was bored.

There’s not enough horror to describe the whole show as horror IMO, it probably peaks at episode 4 which might be the best episode. There’s more horror flavoring or overtones here and there than anything else. The show’s variety pack approach may not appeal to everyone, kind of like Resident Evil 6 in TV show form!

There’s not enough horror to describe the whole show as horror IMO, it probably peaks at episode 4 which might be the best episode. There’s more horror flavoring or overtones here and there than anything else. The show’s variety pack approach may not appeal to everyone, kind of like Resident Evil 6 in TV show form!

Well I hated part 6, the only RE game I didn't finish... so that sounds great :funny:

The most bizarre thing about this show is that the story was already done by another show that ended up on Netflix, which was Van Helsing. It was inexplicable that VH went in the direction it did with that shift in tone once it landed on Netflix.

Jeremy Jahns “review” of this series is spot on. Actually quite hilarious because he couldn’t even finish the show

US Steel has had some blood on their hands. Exxon has had numerous disasters. Granted, nothing quite like a viral out break of zombies, but you would be amazed at what some companies can survive.

2 episodes down, yeah, not exactly a good series, but I'm enjoying. The terrible dialogue is 100% RE though.

Because Hollywood always wants to put a spin on anything they touch and the spin is usually a terrible one.

Putting a spin on something isn't inherently bad. Every adaptation always puts a spin on whatever it adapts, even if that "spin" is an overt "we are trying to be exactly the same as the source".

The problem is that the core creative people in Hollywood ( producers, directors, screenwriters, etc ) on average do not respect video games as a valid creative medium, mostly because they are still "new". Thus, they don't go into a video game adaptation with a mindset of "Hey, this is a popular bit of pop culture, lets see if we can figure out what makes it popular and how to turn that into a good movie". They instead start from "Eh, its a video game, its new and strange and thus bad. So, don't need to put any real effort into this, just throw in enough names so the mindless fans gobble it up. After all, they have to be mindless to like video games, right?"

Or basically, video games have the same level of respect and consideration that comic books did 20+ years ago, and it shows in the results. I don't expect this to change until the majority of top creatives in Hollywood grew up with video games as part of the pop culture scene their entire life.

They should have just adapted the Winters family story. That deals with the origins of Umbrella, where the virus came from, and tells a good straightforward story about a father trying to save his family. It has vampires, werewolves, eldritch beasts, giants, undead etc.

Or alternatively, just do Resident Evil 1. Racoon City PD sends their SWAT team to this mansion because reports of crazy people and murder, they get trapped inside by monsters. Etc. Yes its schlocky, but RE *should* be schlocky, and you could do RE1 on a fairly low budget.

Maybe part of the problem is that licenses cost money, so no one whose willing to shell out for an RE license wants to use it to do a low budget schlock horror movie, when they can instead hope for a successful big budget action movie ( or TV equivalent ) instead?

Oh my God
It's Blade! :funny:
CRSMitm.jpg

Okay, I spoiled myself on the context, and OMG, I need to finish this series. It is pure RE in its bat**** insanity. Is it going to be good, probably not. But the first 2 episodes already entertained me, so I'm thinking the rest will as well.

What are Umbrellas body armor made out of? These people are fully suited up and just get chunks eaten out of them.

Finished the season last night and its meh. Not horrible. Not great. Probably shouldn't have put it in the Resident Evil tbh. I would judge it differently and its generic enough that you change any Umbrella references and its own thing.

Definitely dont agree putting it into the continuity of the games.

TV Line - Resident Evil Boss Addresses Supernatural Comparisons, Teases Show's Connection to the Video Games

Across eight hour-long episodes, the show mostly sticks to its own contained story but still recognizes the previously released video games (including 2021's Resident Evil Village) as canon. "All the games that have come out today, [from] the first game to Village, are the backstory of our show," Dabb explains. "So Raccoon City got nuked. In Eastern Europe, there was a giant vampire lady [aka Lady Dimitrescu]. That's all in our world." But as the games go in one direction, the show will take another path "because we're producing, hopefully, a show every 18 months or so, and the games take a little bit longer to ramp into production… We made the choice [in Season 1] to just touch the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the game lore. If we're lucky enough to go into Season 2 and beyond, you'll start to see a lot more game elements coming into the show." But on a serious note, the showrunner has mapped out a beginning, middle and end to the story. "Whether that's two seasons or three seasons or four seasons or five seasons, we'll let the audience dictate to us," he shares. "I will say that the deeper we get into it, the more story we're finding as we bring in more elements from the games and expand these worlds and these characters."

Okay, finished the series. Its not good. No it isn't. But I was entertained. And it might be hard to admit it, but it is a good adaptation of Resident Evil. Lets face it, outside the gameplay, the story and lore of Resident Evil is bad. And why would you want to elevate it. This ain't Walking Dead.

Wesker making 3 accellerated clones of himself to work on his projects is pure Wesker, c'mon. I do enjoy the fact that it RE 1-5 is canon. OG Wesker is dead, in a volcano. Ada better have some good quip about boulder punching next season. And with Ada next season, we might find out if RE 6 is canon. That will be fun. Probably won't see Chris or Leon, but I can see Clare and Jill showing up.

Disappointed that the proto-Tyrant didn't do much. But the tease was okay. I would like to know why Evelyn still had some BOWs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"