• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

10th Anniversary of Spider-Man

I was eight when Spider-Man came out. After discovering the movie website (and the internet for that matter), I asked my mom four months in advance if I could see it. My grandpa gave me comic books he found at garage sales, and that sparked my interest in Spider-Man. My dad took me to see it on opening day. I remember when Flash tripped Peter on the bus, I thought it was so fun seeing his nerdiness, and I leaned over to dad and said "This is already awesome." When it was released on VHS/DVD, I watched it every Saturday for a month. <3

Though it isn't necessarily my favorite movie anymore, no movie is more personally important to me than Spider-Man. This movie set my passion for Spider-Man in stone, and I have lots of nostalgia for it. Happy 10th Anniversary, Spider-Man!

I was only 9 years old at the time. Good memories. The movie got me into Spider-Man, which led me to watch the 90's Spider-Man again, read some of the comics, and watch any Spider-Man series that came out.

Sounds like a great experience and childhood memory, NCBIII! :up:

Only movie I have bought the tickets in advance for.

My entire family went... I enjoyed the movie tremendously!

Green Goblin was evil as heck!

:awesome:
I'm watching the first movie now just for that
Will watch all three movies, might save and watch 3 tomorrow, cause it will be its 5th anniversary, and it will be tiring to watch 3 films in a row

I remember celebrating finishing my first year in college by going to see this.

Memories.

I can't believe it's been 10 years.

I was 13 when I saw it. I remember all of the hype leading up to it. The trailers, the posters, the awesome action figures, even cereal (which was pretty good). You couldn't go anywhere without seeing Spidey that whole spring. Considering that I was always a Spider-Man fan as a kid, I was pretty damn excited. It even got me into the comics more, as I read a lot of Stan Lee and Steve Ditko's original run as well as Ultimate Spider-Man. But really, who wasn't excited? Everyone was waiting for a Spider-Man movie and now that it was finally here, people ate it up.

I remember leaving school and going straight to the theater with some friends of mine. We got there early for what was probably a 5 PM show, which I'm sure ended up being sold out because the theater was packed. People clapped when they showed the teaser for Ang Lee's Hulk. (If they only knew...) Then the Columbia Pictures and Marvel logos appeared and Danny Elfman's theme kicked in and we were all transported to a world that was brought straight from the comics (except for the organic web shooters, if people are still complaining about that...:o). Tobey Maguire was a great Peter Parker. His Spider-Man could have used a few more funny quips, but the awesome costume made up for that. Willem Dafoe played a very convincing creepy Norman Osborn, and I feel like Kirsten Dunst's best work in the trilogy was in the first film. The supporting cast was great too. James Franco wasn't given much to do, but he would shine in the sequels (especially 3, for some reason). Cliff Robertson and Rosemary Harris were spot on for Uncle Ben and Aunt May. But the real gem in not only this film, but the trilogy in general, was J.K. Simmons as J. Jonah Jameson. He was so perfect for the role that they should even bring him back for the reboot series (similar to Judi Dench as M in the Bond series). Though some of it may seem a bit dated now, for its time, the special effects were the best seen in a superhero film. You still can't beat the breathtaking awesomeness of the final swing, the perfect way to end the movie:

[YT]y6-BN5RTtCQ[/YT]

To no surprise, the movie broke the opening weekend record for the time and it became a massive hit. I walked out of that theater more excited than ever, thinking "Where can they go next?"

Sure enough, Sam Raimi and company outdid themselves two years later when Spider-Man 2 hit. It's still one of the most celebrated superhero films, and for very good reason. Alfred Molina just kills it as Doc Ock, still one of the most impressive villains put to film. It's certainly my favorite of Raimi's trilogy, and I think that goes the same for most people. Spider-Man 3 on the other hand, we all know how that turned out. While I do roll my eyes at a lot of the campiness in the film, I still think it's fun to watch. Venom should have been given better treatment, but at least it was still semi-faithful to the comics. I don't think 3 deserves that much negativity. Is it the best superhero movie? Hell no, but does it deserve to be at the bottom of the list? Absolutely not. Even if it were better recieved, it would probably still be in the shadow of 2. The upcoming reboot looks promising, but I'm not nearly as excited about that as I was for any of Raimi's films.

Spider-Man was a real game changer in the genre, along with X-Men before it and to a lesser extent, Blade. Without them and their success, there'd be no Batman Begins, Iron Man, or Thor. They showed that superheroes can and should be taken seriously in films. And now here we are, 10 years later, and in just a few hours I'll be going back to the same theater I was at 10 years ago for a midnight showing of The Avengers, arguably the highest anticipated Marvel film since the Spider-Man films. It just goes to show how far the superhero film genre has come in the past decade, and much of that is because of Spider-Man.

10 years? God,where does time go? I vividly remember seeing this film in the theater(I remember seeing all the films,like it was yesterday). The memory that sticks out the most is that I couldn't wait for part 2. I loved the movie so much I SO wanted to see what happened next. :spidey::gg:

I remember the day i saw this film. God, such good times.

I can't believe it's been 10 years.

I was 13 when I saw it. I remember all of the hype leading up to it. The trailers, the posters, the awesome action figures, even cereal (which was pretty good). You couldn't go anywhere without seeing Spidey that whole spring. Considering that I was always a Spider-Man fan as a kid, I was pretty damn excited. It even got me into the comics more, as I read a lot of Stan Lee and Steve Ditko's original run as well as Ultimate Spider-Man. But really, who wasn't excited? Everyone was waiting for a Spider-Man movie and now that it was finally here, people ate it up.

I remember leaving school and going straight to the theater with some friends of mine. We got there early for what was probably a 5 PM show, which I'm sure ended up being sold out because the theater was packed. People clapped when they showed the teaser for Ang Lee's Hulk. (If they only knew...) Then the Columbia Pictures and Marvel logos appeared and Danny Elfman's theme kicked in and we were all transported to a world that was brought straight from the comics (except for the organic web shooters, if people are still complaining about that...:o). Tobey Maguire was a great Peter Parker. His Spider-Man could have used a few more funny quips, but the awesome costume made up for that. Willem Dafoe played a very convincing creepy Norman Osborn, and I feel like Kirsten Dunst's best work in the trilogy was in the first film. The supporting cast was great too. James Franco wasn't given much to do, but he would shine in the sequels (especially 3, for some reason). Cliff Robertson and Rosemary Harris were spot on for Uncle Ben and Aunt May. But the real gem in not only this film, but the trilogy in general, was J.K. Simmons as J. Jonah Jameson. He was so perfect for the role that they should even bring him back for the reboot series (similar to Judi Dench as M in the Bond series). Though some of it may seem a bit dated now, for its time, the special effects were the best seen in a superhero film. You still can't beat the breathtaking awesomeness of the final swing, the perfect way to end the movie:

[YT]y6-BN5RTtCQ[/YT]

To no surprise, the movie broke the opening weekend record for the time and it became a massive hit. I walked out of that theater more excited than ever, thinking "Where can they go next?"

Sure enough, Sam Raimi and company outdid themselves two years later when Spider-Man 2 hit. It's still one of the most celebrated superhero films, and for very good reason. Alfred Molina just kills it as Doc Ock, still one of the most impressive villains put to film. It's certainly my favorite of Raimi's trilogy, and I think that goes the same for most people. Spider-Man 3 on the other hand, we all know how that turned out. While I do roll my eyes at a lot of the campiness in the film, I still think it's fun to watch. Venom should have been given better treatment, but at least it was still semi-faithful to the comics. I don't think 3 deserves that much negativity. Is it the best superhero movie? Hell no, but does it deserve to be at the bottom of the list? Absolutely not. Even if it were better recieved, it would probably still be in the shadow of 2. The upcoming reboot looks promising, but I'm not nearly as excited about that as I was for any of Raimi's films.

Spider-Man was a real game changer in the genre, along with X-Men before it and to a lesser extent, Blade. Without them and their success, there'd be no Batman Begins, Iron Man, or Thor. They showed that superheroes can and should be taken seriously in films. And now here we are, 10 years later, and in just a few hours I'll be going back to the same theater I was at 10 years ago for a midnight showing of The Avengers, arguably the highest anticipated Marvel film since the Spider-Man films. It just goes to show how far the superhero film genre has come in the past decade, and much of that is because of Spider-Man.

Well said! :up:

It's so crazy, every year that's gone by on this day I've said "It's been however many years since the 1st Spider-Man movie came out, wow!" and now it's finally been 10 whole years. A lot has certainly happened since then, but this movie will always be a classic in my eyes.

I had graduated college just the year before and was so overjoyed that my beloved Spider-man was finally making it to the big screen. It was such a great moment. After the movie, I remember thinking how much I loved it. No, it wasn't exactly like the comic origin but what it lacked in that aspect it truly made up for it with its tone and spirit. SM1 really opened the door for so many other superhero movies. It was a summer blockbuster with the usual special effects but it never let go of the characters and gave weight to them and the story.

Didn't even realize about the anniversary.

Well, I'll say a few words about it.

The first Spider-Man trailer made me hugely excited in seeing it, but I was still rather young and so it was the first in a few movies that I went to go see with my parents and we all enjoyed it. From beginning to end. I was young, so I didn't care about the little nitpicks that I have with it now because that would obviously not bother a young boy, so I definitely enjoyed the film. Not the best film of the trilogy for damn sure, but Spider-Man did start something that was that final straw in continuing CBMs that Blade and X-Men first started.

I remember going to see it opening night and seeing a sign posted that all the weekend showings were sold out.

I was in 7th grade. Use to bring the Making Of book to me to school to read. Damn good times.

I watched it like, last week. I still like the movie and always will. I have good memories associated with it.

sony's blu ray release for this movie is pathethic. absolute BARE BONES and trailers for other movies rather than the SM1 trailers and the pulled twin towers trailer. I HATE sony.

Great film. I wasn't among those who enjoyed it upon release. Believe it or not, my first Spidey experience was was a pirate of S-M 2. I was quickly converted, and I consider Raimi's series to be among theat rare catagory of good film trilogies.

Still gutted about SM4.

I just realized this today. Can't believe it has been 10 years! I feel old :(

Well, I used to love SM1/2 and even 3rd until I started to read the comics. :dry:

What made you change your mind from reading the Spidey comics?

She got in contact with the good version of Peter Parker

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"