1408: What The Hell Happened?!

***redacted***

Last edited:
Here are my opinions about 1408:

SPOILER ALERT.

Is Enslin still in the room?
Absolutely.

If you deny that Mike is in the room, you admit that everything that occurred in the room was real. That is to say that they were not a hallucination, not imaginary, but real. For example, Mike's daughter was made of matter, thinking for herself and a real person; not a figment of the room's evil; every window on the hotel disappeared during Mike's escape attempt, and Mike really did wake up on the beach in his hometown.

However, if you deny this, and say that those were hallucinations or products of the room, how do you explain the fact that the tape recorder recorded his daughter's voice?

The answer is simple: Mike is still in the room.:yay:

A movie that makes you think when you leave the theater is a good thing, once in a while.

I'm interested in hearing what everyone else has to say.

Discuss!

Here are my opinions about 1408:

SPOILER ALERT.

Is Enslin still in the room?
Absolutely.

If you deny that Mike is in the room, you admit that everything that occurred in the room was real. That is to say that they were not a hallucination, not imaginary, but real. For example, Mike's daughter was made of matter, thinking for herself and a real person; not a figment of the room's evil; every window on the hotel disappeared during Mike's escape attempt, and Mike really did wake up on the beach in his hometown.

However, if you deny this, and say that those were hallucinations or products of the room, how do you explain the fact that the tape recorder recorded his daughter's voice?

The answer is simple: Mike is still in the room.:yay:

A movie that makes you think when you leave the theater is a good thing, once in a while.

I'm interested in hearing what everyone else has to say.

Discuss!

You make a good point the only argument I could make is; think of the idea of movies like white noise, they pose the idea of electronics being able to pick up paranormal activity. So that would explain why the voice was captured on the recorder. Just a thought...

I enjoyed this movie. I was very, very happy when they didn't cop out and make it all a dream from when he was knocked unconscious at the beach. By the way, did everyone catch that Sam Jackson's character was the one who sent him the postcard?

Personally, I think that Mr. Olin is a human manifestation of the room.

I thought this film was amazing -- you may think that is quite a strong word to use, but it's my opinion. Funnily enough, I thought the best part of the film was the banter between Enslin (Cusack) and Olin (Jackson): Goolies and ghosties and long-legged beasties ha ha.

I'm a big Steven King fan, but I'm not one of those that would swear by his every word -- some of the stuff with his name on it stinks, adaptions more so. 1408 is actually one of my favourite SK adaptions, along with Secret Window and Misery. You see, ask any Stephen King fan why they are so happy to read his work, and I guess the majority would say or at least imply that it is due to his gift for character development; the adaptions of his work that suck generally put the gore first and let the characters drift from scene to scene like cardboard silhouettes.

This isn't the case with 1408. Cusack's character was so damn likeable -- witty, vulnerable, layered. Jackson's cameo was well done, too.

So after watching the film a few times I decided that I would go back and read the short story from Everything's Eventual . . . guess what I found? The film is very loyal to the source, although it does diverge greatly once Mike Enslin goes in the room. The story starts with Enslin entering the Hotel Dolphin, and the banter that follows is pretty much bang on the money what we got in the film (I like Cusack, he's likeable, so maybe bumps the banter up a notch in the film).

Great film, great performances. The best damn horror film in a while. Let's hope that if Bag of Bones is ever adapted (my fave SK book) it gets as good a treatment as this did.

:up: :up:

I thought this film was amazing -- you may think that is quite a strong word to use, but it's my opinion. Funnily enough, I thought the best part of the film was the banter between Enslin (Cusack) and Olin (Jackson): Goolies and ghosties and long-legged beasties ha ha.

I'm a big Steven King fan, but I'm not one of those that would swear by his every word -- some of the stuff with his name on it stinks, adaptions more so. 1408 is actually one of my favourite SK adaptions, along with Secret Window and Misery. You see, ask any Stephen King fan why they are so happy to read his work, and I guess the majority would say or at least imply that it is due to his gift for character development; the adaptions of his work that suck generally put the gore first and let the characters drift from scene to scene like cardboard silhouettes.

This isn't the case with 1408. Cusack's character was so damn likeable -- witty, vulnerable, layered. Jackson's cameo was well done, too.

So after watching the film a few times I decided that I would go back and read the short story from Everything's Eventual . . . guess what I found? The film is very loyal to the source, although it does diverge greatly once Mike Enslin goes in the room. The story starts with Enslin entering the Hotel Dolphin, and the banter that follows is pretty much bang on the money what we got in the film (I like Cusack, he's likeable, so maybe bumps the banter up a notch in the film).

Great film, great performances. The best damn horror film in a while. Let's hope that if Bag of Bones is ever adapted (my fave SK book) it gets as good a treatment as this did.

:up: :up:

Couldn't agree more, eggy. I really liked it. As far as I know, though, Jackson's character was originally written to be far more than a cameo. In the commercials, he enters the room when it's snowing and says "I warned you about 1408."

I really want to know what the hell is up with that line, cause he never enters the room unless it's cleaning time, so perhaps there is more to Olin than meets the eye?

Also, I have the movie on dvd, I downloaded the torrent and burned it onto a disc, but I still plan on purchasing it, since there is apparently a second ending which was replaced before the film's theatrical release because it was too much of a "downer."

I never had the pleasure of seeing the trailer, but maybe it was just the room toying with him.

To add to my critique of the film, I will say the only thing I didn't like were the hangovers I've suffered since seeing it. It gave me such a craving for whiskey, so I went out and bought a bottle -- what a mistake! :o

As for what happens in the room, it's just one of those films that is rich in depth and leaves you with plenty of things to think about when leaving the theatre (or, in my case, P to P site ;)).

I think that how the room was restored back to its original state after the 60 minutes is up says something about what happened . . . I think most of it was in his head -- maybe all of it.

'It's an evil f**king room,' is a great line ha ha.

^The ending with him and his wife seem to suggest that it was actually real though.

My favorite part of the movie, which i think should have been used slightly more, was the room communicating to him through the phone.

The operator when he hurts his hand and "5... this is five... Even if you never leave this room, you can never leave this room... 9... this is nine... we have all your friends... every friend is now dead." were my favorite parts of the movie.

Yeah, that was one of the spookiest parts of the original story, too. It kept going on and on, giving 1408's victims with a number each to be identified by. In the short story he isn't even in the room that long, the majority takes place in Olin's office. It's very rare that I see a film and think it is better than the source material, but in this case I think it does.

This might be old news but the Director's Cut has a completely different ending then the Theatrical Cut & in my opinion it has a better ending.

just watched this. good movie, great ending

with the two disc collectors edition dvd you get dolphin hotel post cards how awesome is that, by the way I love this movie.

I saw about 70% of this movie. I need to watch the entire thing again from start to finish..

-TNC

You should it's really good, but don't watch duriing the day or with the lights on it takes away from the excitement of the film

Btw, this movie is good, but not as good as Sam Neil's take on HP Lovecraft:

In the Mouth of Madness >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 1408

Now, that was scary.

I enjoyed this movie. I was very, very happy when they didn't cop out and make it all a dream from when he was knocked unconscious at the beach. By the way, did everyone catch that Sam Jackson's character was the one who sent him the postcard?
has any steven king movie end with a "just a dream sequence?"

I saw it this weekend and I'd put it on par with Identity. I mean that in a very good way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"