1986-87-88...the height of the "Action Movie"?

Golgo, I was just about to mention face off. John Woo is the f***ing master of action.

I also think that MI2 is seriously underrated.

The 80s & early 90s were a golden era for action movies. Noone now can hold a candle to Arnie & co in their day.

The Road Warrrior will NEVER be topped for stunts. NEVER.

What about all those great Van Damme movies from the 80's? Cyborg was pretty cool. Not to mention Walter Hill's Streets of Fire.

The Road Warrrior will NEVER be topped for stunts. NEVER.

What about all those great Van Damme movies from the 80's? Cyborg was pretty cool. Not to mention Walter Hill's Streets of Fire.
My favourite Van Damme movie is Universal Solider, awesome movie(a bit like The Terminator).

I was gonna say 'Con Air', but a lot of people don't seem to like it. :grin:

Con Air fell apart at the end, once the plane crashes in Vegas it's better to just turn the movie off, cause it falls apart at that point.

You've seen commando right? Arnold did the same damn thing.

That's what I love about Commando, Arnold takes out an entire island full of bad guys by himself, I remember trying to count how many people he kills and always lost count halfway through the battle.

Poe being reunited with his wife and child was touching. The music fits it perfectly, and I actually teared up the first time I watched it.

:o

Con Air fell apart at the end, once the plane crashes in Vegas it's better to just turn the movie off, cause it falls apart at that point.

2505-23750.gif

"Yurl nevah get nea-ah.....mah daughta....buckle uup."

My favourite Cage film and role. And Cameron Poe is one of my favourite action heroes, being as he is an amalgamation of John McClane and Aragorn.

Some 80's actioners not yet mentioned:

The Hunter
(1980)
Conan the Destroyer (1984)
Invasion U.S.A. (1985)
The Delta Force (1986)
Born American (1986)
The Hitcher (1986)
Raw Deal (1986)
The Running Man (1987)
Red Heat (1988)
The Punisher (1989)

Death Wish 2-4 (1982, 84, 87)

Early 90's films which were basically 80's action movies:

Marked for Death (1990)
Point Break (1991)
Rapid Fire (1992)

2505-23750.gif

"Yurl nevah get nea-ah.....mah daughta....buckle uup."

My favourite Cage film and role. And Cameron Poe is one of my favourite action heroes, being as he is an amalgamation of John McClane and Aragorn.

:up:

This thread needs some comic relief. How about some more Cage?

Poe being reunited with his wife and child was touching. The music fits it perfectly, and I actually teared up the first time I watched it.

:o

Me too. You know, everybody I ask admits to that.

Some 80's actioners not yet mentioned:

The Hitcher (1986)
The Running Man (1987)
The Punisher (1989)

If I may comment on these....The Hitcher is more of a thriller with action than a full-on action movie, but of course that's a debatable matter.

The Running Man has no climax....it just stops. Arnie's character is supposedly killed in the show - but they've just left by the back exit. Then they just shoot everybody.

The 1989 Punisher is one of the most action-packed movies ever made. A lot of movies claim to be non-stop action - obviously there is no such thing, only a game like Super Smash Brothers is non-stop action - but The Punisher comes the closest of most movies.

If I may comment on these....The Hitcher is more of a thriller with action than a full-on action movie, but of course that's a debatable matter.

The Running Man has no climax....it just stops. Arnie's character is supposedly killed in the show - but they've just left by the back exit. Then they just shoot everybody.

The 1989 Punisher is one of the most action-packed movies ever made. A lot of movies claim to be non-stop action - obviously there is no such thing, only a game like Super Smash Brothers is non-stop action - but The Punisher comes the closest of most movies.

The Running Man was all about bringing the government down by showing the general public they're being lied to and that's how it ended. The veil was lifted on this corrupt system and everything is about to change.

Yeah, I'd say The Hitcher is not an action film. It's a thriller/suspense film with action elements, like Kevin said.

The Running Man was all about bringing the government down by showing the general public they're being lied to and that's how it ended. The veil was lifted on this corrupt system and everything is about to change.

That's true, but we're talking about an Arnie action movie and to not have a huge set piece at the climax is non-sensical.

The bloodiest movie ever?

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMAcM9_02qA[/YT]

We need more "big fella" movies. The 80's had Ahnuld and Sly Stallone, and while The Rock and Vin Diesel don't quite measure up to the legends of the 80's, I think it's more due to lack of roles than the actors not being good enough. Now all the producers want is to make movies where there's some wannabe lingerie model swinging around a samurai sword. They've forgotten how awesome it is to have a big guy holding a machine gun in one hand and a damsel in distress in the other, while blasting away at a horde of unscrupulous bad guys. That was the pledge when you went to see an 80's action movie, and sadly, that pledge has all but disappeared, replaced with the pledge of lots of crappy wire-fu performed by anorexic-looking actresses.

We need more "big fella" movies. The 80's had Ahnuld and Sly Stallone, and while The Rock and Vin Diesel don't quite measure up to the legends of the 80's, I think it's more due to lack of roles than the actors not being good enough. Now all the producers want is to make movies where there's some wannabe lingerie model swinging around a samurai sword. They've forgotten how awesome it is to have a big guy holding a machine gun in one hand and a damsel in distress in the other, while blasting away at a horde of unscrupulous bad guys. That was the pledge when you went to see an 80's action movie, and sadly, that pledge has all but disappeared, replaced with the pledge of lots of crappy wire-fu performed by anorexic-looking actresses.

yep.

Indy's return will bring it all back I'm sure.

i have to say that Hard Target is one of woo's best movies and one of van damme's best!

slow mo to the extreme in this movie!

You've seen commando right? Arnold did the same damn thing.

Commando is the best one man army movie of all time!

great action, great stunts, the best one liners ever !

and great music too, with a great tropical feel to it!

and a green beret ass kicking in it too!

why can't they make movies like that any more??!!

enough of the "realism" or "gritty",

we want hardcore action !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"