The great 1980s action movies VERSUS the great modern CBMs

I showed no 'fanboy ********' over selection of movies. Others have commented on it, and you are trying your best to defend it.

I simply said bias is always going to be there, old or new; And that the poll shouldn't have put in movies at all when the genres are enough to decided between.

You might want to grow up yourself.

I simply said bias is always going to be there, old or new; And that the poll shouldn't have put in movies at all when the genres are enough to decided between.
A lot of posters understood that and picked according to their own preferred movies :-)

You might want to grow up yourself.
100% of your posts are complaints, with never a substantial contribution to discussion.

Let me know when you write something which is positive, has content, and doesn't snark at anybody or anything. I'll be on the look-out.

And while a lot of posters may have understood that, majority if not all of the posts in this thread is about the selection of movies in said poll.
And all of it could have been avoided if say, specific movies were not included on the poll itself. :cwink:

And feel free to venture into threads in which I post, or feel free to select Find More Posts feature before trying to make a naive blanket statement about the positive/negative percentages or substance levels of my posts.

Dark Knight Rises would be redundant with Dark Knight and anyway most of this forum hates Dark Knight Rises.

DoFP and GoTG are new and would thus introduce biases, since new stuff always seems better.

Most of this board hates TDKR? Far fewer than hate Watchmen.

Anyway, the point is that it is a biased thread. With that said, I'd vote for the '80s in this line-up, but when you are lumping in Lucas and Spielberg action movies with the '80s beefcake 'splosions movies and comparing them to modern day superhero movies it gives an odd picture. By such logic, the 2000s should be able to include Lord of the Rings.

Eh, anyway, I vote for the eighties, it is just an odd comparison.

The comic book movies of the 2000's because I'm much more of a comic book fan, and this era has given us the best comic book movies ever like Spider-Man 2, Dark Knight, Days of Future Past, Winter Soldier, and Guardians of the Galaxy.

What is the intent?

Actually I just meant it seemed to me everyone should pick his or her own tops from the times and criterion presented. It was a supportive post , sorry if it was confusing.

I voted for The Empire Strikes Back, The Terminator, Aliens, Predator, Die Hard, with the caveat that I have not watched Predator and Die Hard in a very long time. Four of the five are internally closed, and only two are sequels. They each manage to build both their heroes and their villains without relying on several previous movies to do the leg work.

What's prompting this thread is that I watched parts of James Cameron's Aliens the other night, the director's cut that is, I don't know if I've ever watched the theatrical cut.

The first action scene in the movie takes place 71 minutes into the film. Prior to that there is a lot of setting up of the story, laying down seeds, building characters, and none of it is boring.

They don't make blockbusters like that anymore.
Godzilla tried to be like that, but the human scenes were boring so it didn't work.

Then again I'm very biased and in love with the 1980s. If we had a similar thread for popular music, where we compared Duran Duran, Tears for Fears, Madonna, U2, to Miley Cyrus, Selena Gomez, Lady Antebellum, Robin Thicke I would make the same vote and vote for the 1980s.

Now and then they do, Fellowship of the Ring for example had that prelude but took around a hour to get to the actual action, also having many paused moments. Peter Jackson's King Kong and Hobbit films had a more mixed result, but they also took a long time to get to the actual action.

There have always been films like this, and there always will. I think it's unfair to compare action films from the 80s in general to only the comic book genre. Die Hard and Empire Strikes Back have little in common besides having action for example.

A fairer comparison would be to broaden the modern action films with Lord of the rings, Inception, etc. Because as the comparison stands now, it seems like an excuse to dismiss modern superhero films.

Now and then they do, Fellowship of the Ring for example had that prelude but took around a hour to get to the actual action, also having many paused moments. Peter Jackson's King Kong and Hobbit films had a more mixed result, but they also took a long time to get to the actual action.

There have always been films like this, and there always will. I think it's unfair to compare action films from the 80s in general to only the comic book genre. Die Hard and Empire Strikes Back have little in common besides having action for example.

A fairer comparison would be to broaden the modern action films with Lord of the rings, Inception, etc. Because as the comparison stands now, it seems like an excuse to dismiss modern superhero films.

That's a good point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"