2009 NFL Draft Thread (aka Excel & Norman's personal b**ch and moan thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

StorminNorman

Avenger
Reaction score
The deadline for Seniors to announce came and went last Friday and the Senior Bowl was today and Mel Kiper Jr. has announced his first Mock Draft. It is official: the 2009 NFL Draft Season has begun.

To kick off the discussion I will give my own first Mock Draft (which is actually more credible than Mel Kiper Jr.'s) as well as my own top 5 QB, RB and WR (with other positions to be provided later.

1. Detroit Lions - Matt Stafford, QB Georgia

I believe Mathew Stafford is the best QB prospect since Peyton Manning and combining him with Calvin Johnson could be just what is needed to bring Detroit out of the basement. Under OC Scott Linehan's careful eye this could be Culpepper to Moss 2.0.

2. St. Louis Rams - Michael Oher, OT Ole Miss

Many have Andre Smith as their top OT prospect, I am not nearly as high. Michael Oher has dominated in Senior Bowl practices and his staff will go through the roof if he continues what he has done in Mobile the past week. The Rams need help in many places, like the Lions, but unlike the Lions QB isn't a problem.

3. Kansas City Chiefs - Aaron Curry, OLB Wake Forrest

Curry may be the best overall prospect in this draft and he can play any linebacker position asked of him. While KC probably has a bigger need for an End, the Defensive End pool this year is deep, but their isn't a player worth a top 3 pick. Mel Kiper lost a lot of credibility when he had Kansas City picking Mark Sanchez simply because Tyler Thigpin proved he is a Professional football player last year.

4. Seattle Seahawks - Michael Crabtree, WR Texas Tech

No pick makes more since than this. Seattle Seahawks are a West Coast Offensive team desperate for a wide receiver. Michael Crabtree is a brilliant wide out perfect for a West Coast Offense. Mark it down.

5. Cleveland Browns - Rey Maualuga, OLB USC

Willie McGinest will probably retire and Andra Davis is set to be a Free Agent. In comes Rey Mauluga. This may be a reach and Cleveland may look at Malcom Jenkins but I think this fills the biggest need here. Like DE there are many starting CB's in this draft - some will be found in round 4.

6. Cincinnati Bengals - Eugene Monroe, OT Virginia

Bengals have big needs at Offensive tackle and Monroe offers top 5 talent at the six pick here. They have needs defensively at well, but unless Curry slips I don't see them passing on an OT here.

7. Oakland Raiders - Jeremy Maclin, WR Missouri

Personally I think Oakland should draft Jason Smith should he be an option here, but the Raiders rarely do what they should do. Maclin is an exciting, fast wide receiver - exactly the sort of player that has a little blue pill like impact on Al Davis.

8. Jacksonville Jaguars - Andre Smith, OT Alabama

Jacksonville's tackle corps was devastated this year, luckily this draft is exactly what the team needs. I am giving them Andre Smith over Jason Smith simply because I think Andre is a sexier prospect.

9. Green Bay Packers - Brian Orakpo, DE Texas

There can be some debate about whether Orakpo is the best DE in this draft, but the guy is a work out warrior and there is no doubt the Scouting Combine will help him as much as any player. He fulfills the Packer's biggest need here.

10. San Francisco 49er's - B.J. Raji, DT Boston College

I love B.J. Raji and he is exactly the sort of player Mike Singletary wants on his team. I am sure they would give a hard look to Mark Sanchez but I think being from USC may hurt him here (name the last USC offensive player to live up to his potential) and I think Singletary likes Shaun Hill.

11. Buffalo Bills Brandon Pettigrew, TE Oklahoma State

The best block TE prospect since Daniel Graham, Pettigrew also offers some potential as a wide receiver. He helps Buffalo in many ways and may become Trent Edward's new best friend.

12 Denver Broncos, Knowshon Moreno RB Georgia

Imagine Cutler, Royal, Marshall and Moreno running Josh McDaniel's offense. Now go change your pants. You could argue that the Bronco's have a bigger need to address defense, but if hiring Josh McDaniel's over Spagnola or Raheem Morris is any indication Denver may still be looking for the big O.

13. Washington Redskins, Peria Jerry, DT Ole Miss

Peria is not simply a great defensive tackle, he is a leader. The Redskins needs some soul on defense as much as they need a defensive tackle. Fill both needs with this pick. Offensive line could also be a target here.

14. New Orleans Saints Malcom Jenkins, CB Ohio State

If any team needs to trade down, its the Saints. This team would love a Center, but its far too high to pick one this draft. They could be equally giddy, however, should Jenkins fall to them in this position. A Linebacker would also be a possibility with this pick.

15. Houston Texans, Everett Brown DE FSU

Mario Williams is fantastic but he has no partner on the other side. The Texans really wish Taylor Mays had entered the draft, but they would be happy with Everett Brown as well whose has been projected as high as a to 5 pick. FSU has had a bad history with DE's recently, but I don't think that prevents the pick here. Should Dunta Robinson enter the Free Agency, look at CB as an option.

16. San Diego Chargers Beanie Wells, RB, Ohio State

Darren Sproles is not an every down back and LT is probably gone by April, enter Christopher Wells. San Diego may look at a linebacker here, but I think its hard to pass up a runner like Wells when there is a need.

17. New York Jets, Tyson Jackson, DE LSU

Tyson Jackson would be a fantastic addition to Ryan's 3-4 scheme and offers tremendous value at the 17 spot. Jackson is a better prospect than Marcus Spears was when he left Louisiana a few years ago. He could be to NY what Ty Warren is for New England.

18. Chicago Bears - Mark Sanchez, QB USC

Is Mark Sanchez a franchise QB? Probably not. Is he an improvement over what Chicago has? Hopefully. I don't think Chicago can afford to pass on a QB here, even though they would love to add Hakeen Nicks or another talented wide receiver. That opens the door, however for

19 Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Hakeem Nicks, WR North Carolina

While Tampa could use a pass rusher, Tampa's would do well to put someone on the other side of Antonio Bryant. Joey Gallaway should be on Dancing with the Stars and Michael Clayton shouldn't be resigned. While Tampa may be better addressing this need in the Free Agency, Tampa has shown an unwillingness to spend money.

20. Detroit Lions, Jason Smith, OT, Baylor

If this scenario plays out then Detroit may have a professional football franchise come August. I think Jason Smith will be the best tackle in this draft, but I think he could be overlooked due to how deep the OT pool is this year. Should he fall he is exactly the sort of franchise tackle many want Detroit to pick with the first pick, all with the fun of having Matt Stafford as well.

21. Philadelphia Eagles, LeSean McCoy, RB Pittsburgh

The Eagles have needs at Safety and Tackle but I don't think they are in a position to pick either with this pick. The Eagles also have a need for an RB that can run between the tackles and help the oft injured Westbrook.

22. Minnesota Vikings, Vontae Davis, CB Illinois

There may be some interest in Josh Freeman, but to me he screams Tavaris Jackson clone, plus Jackson's production at the end of the season is a reason to not draft a replacement, Minnesota needs a free agent, not a rookie. Vontae Davis gives talent to a group of corners that have little right home about after Antoine Winfield.

23. New England Patriots, William Moore, S, Missouri

Rodney Harrison is gone and the Patriots need a replacement. With Taylor Mayes returning to Cali, Moore becomes the top Safety in the draft. Its very Patriots like to fill your biggest need with the best player.

24. Atlanta Falcons D.J. Moore, CB, Vanderbilt

The Falcons made great strides last year and Moore can help them continue in 2009. Their secondary is fairly lackluster and Moore is the smart playmaker the Falcons need. He could be a star on that defense. Atlanta would prefer a defensive tackle, but there is no option with this pick.

25. Miami Dolphins, Brian Cushing, OLB, USC

No matter what Kiper says, Parcells doesn't pick wide outs in the first round. You know what he does take? Linebackers. Cushing may be the best linebacker coming out of USC and he has performed great at the Senior Bowl. What may keep him from going before 25 is a history of injuries when with the Trojans.

26. Baltimore Ravens, Alphonso Smith, CB, Wake Forrest

Alphonso Smith may not be the most impressive player from a measurables stand point, but we see time and time again that measurables are not nearly as important as ability. Smith is a playmaker and his selection would help fill the one hole in Baltimore's D - the long ball.

27. Indianapolis Colts, Brandon LaFell, WR LSU

Wide Receiver is not Indi's biggest need, but they still need to replace Marvin Harrison and it would be hard to choose Evander Hood in the first round. LaFell is a 6'3 wide receiver that would make Peyton Manning very happy.

28. Philadelphia Eagles, Eben Britton, OT Arizona

Philadelphia will soon be losing Tra Thomas and Jon Runyan and Winston Justice isn't a franchise OT. William Beatty could leap frog Britton as the fifth best tackle in the draft, but right now I will keep with Britton.

29. New York Giants, Darrius Heyward-Bey, WR Maryland

If Burress was on the team I would give they would want to pick Clint Sintim from Virginia but without Plaxico the team has suffered from a severe lack of a deep threat. Steve Smith is a solid number two, but he can't scare a defense anymore than an ancient Amani Toomer. Heyward-Bey is arguably the second best WR in this draft and would give New York some teeth back.

30. Tennessee Titans, Percy Harvin WR Florida

Tennessee made the right pick when they selected Chris Johnson last year over a wide receiver, here they have a chance to pick a play maker with Harvin. He is stupid fast and would help in the Special Teams as well as giving the Titans a legit deep threat on offense.

31. Pittsburgh Steelers, Max Unger, C Oregon

Pittsburgh's Offensive line struggles are well documented, and while Alex Mack is the best Center in the draft, Unger is well known and respected for his ability to play any position on the O-Line. This versatility makes him a more valuable pick for Pittsburgh.

32. Arizona Cardinals, Aaron Maybin, DE Penn State

Bert Berry could be a free agent and the defense is still where Arizona needs the most help. Aaron Maybin is a fantastic pass rusher who is athletic and fast. He would instantly upgrade Arizona's ability to get to the Quarterback.

Top 5 at each position
Here are my opinions on the top players in each position. This does not always correlate with the best "prospect" and thus may look far different than my mock draft.

Quarterback

1. Matt Stafford
2. Rhett Bomar
3. Josh Freeman
4. Mark Sanchez
5. Nate Davis

I think its real easy to look great when you constantly play teams with significantly less talent - thus I am not in love with Mark Sanchez. I do love Mathew Stafford who has all the tools to be an elite NFL QB. Rhett Bomar would be a first round pick if he wasn't force to go to Sam Houston State.

Running Back

1. Knowshon Moreno
2. LeSean McCoy
3. Chris Wells
4. Shonn Greene
5. James Davis

I love Knowshon Moreno and his vision and elusiveness. He doesn't have the best speed or the best size but the kid plays with such excitement you can't help but enjoy watching him play. Shonn Greene is similar to this regard and I consider him to be a poor man's Knowshon on a Professional level. I question Beanie's durability which forces me to put LeSean before him.

Wide Receiver

1. Michael Crabtree
2. Darrius Heyward-Bey
3. Jeremy Macklin
4. Hakeem Nicks
5. Brandon LaFell

Crabtree is the closest thing to an "elite WR prospect" in this draft. Heyward-Bey was underused almost as much as Calvin Johnson was at GT and I think he will be a great Pro wide receiver.

Tight End:

1. Brandon Pettigrew
2. Chase Coffman
3. Jared Cook
4. Cornelius Ingram
5. Travis Beckum

Brandon Pettigrew is the only one I love right now, but I think there is a lot of potential in all five players there. Coffman is a 6'6 beast that is use to playing with the ball. Jared Cook is quick for a TE and could be a true offensive weapon. Ingram showed a lot in the National Championship game and Travis Beckum is easy to overlook coming out of underperforming Wisconsin but I think he has a future in the NFL.

Offensive Tackle
1. Jason Smith
2. Eugene Monroe
3. Michael Oher
4. Andre Smith
5. William Beatty

I cannot say enough good things about Jason Smith, this guy is a beast. Oher and Monroe constantly fight for the number two spot on my boards, I am giving the edge to Monroe simply because Oher's Senior Bowl game was less than impressive though his workouts during the week were a different story. I think Andre Smith is not nearly as much of a sure thing as many others, there are some real red flags there and even if I remove him he is the inferior Smith.

As to other Mock Drafts and quality draft sites I recommend:

www.draftcountdown.com
www.draftdaddy.com
www.draftking.com

My draft order came from:

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nflnation/0-4-1074/Updated-2009-NFL-draft-order--1-thru-30.html

Last edited:
Jets need to draft Sanchez... no matter what Brett's decision is. And I can't see Pioli taking a LB in the top five. Go QB or Line.

Jets need to draft Sanchez... no matter what Brett's decision is. And I can't see Pioli taking a LB in the top five. Go QB or Line.

Why can't you see Pioli taking what may be the best player in the draft? I mean isn't that the goal of the draft?

If there was a QB in this draft (outside of Stafford) that was significantly better than Thigpin, then yea - you go QB. But there isn't, so you don't.

Also Kansas City had the 31st ranked defense, so its hard to argue that they have a need greater than a fantastic defensive presence.

On the Jets you can look at Josh Freeman in the 2nd round or Rhett Bomar - both, IMO, better prospects than Sanchez who has bust written all over him.

Whatever... it's too early to be annointing these guys... let's wait for the combine. Right now it's too soon to know what these guys are going to be.

Whatever... it's too early to be annointing these guys... let's wait for the combine. Right now it's too soon to know what these guys are going to be.

Yes, because who cares about the evidence they have actually left on the field - as long as they can bench press and run a 40 or how well he can throw a ball without helmets, without pressure and out of a game.

The combine is useful.

Its not more useful than their college legacy.

You know the type of players that get noticed from the combine normally are?

Busts.

you really seem to know your stuff Norm :up:

I really wanna see Carolina pick up some talent this draft *crosses fingers*

You dont have Jeremy Macklin in your wr rankings :confused: ?

Yes, because who cares about the evidence they have actually left on the field - as long as they can bench press and run a 40 or how well he can throw a ball without helmets, without pressure and out of a game.

The combine is useful.

Its not more useful than their college legacy.

You know the type of players that get noticed from the combine normally are?

Busts.

Looks like Mel Kiper has flooded the SHH boards... :whatever:

Awesome Mock Draft,

One comment: While I wouldn't mind if the Vikings drafted a cornerback (and I think Davis will be a good one), it would be damn tough to pass on both Percy Harvin and Darrius Heyward-Bey. I also agree about drafting Josh Freeman in the first round.

Thoughts?

You dont have Jeremy Macklin in your wr rankings :confused: ?

I truthfully just completely overlooked Macklin when typing this, I have fixed that.

Looks like Mel Kiper has flooded the SHH boards... :whatever:

I'm insulted.

No love for Ringer :(

I like Ringer, but I don't think he is one of the top 5 running backs in this draft. I think Ringer is very much a third round back.

Awesome Mock Draft,

One comment: While I wouldn't mind if the Vikings drafted a cornerback (and I think Davis will be a good one), it would be damn tough to pass on both Percy Harvin and Darrius Heyward-Bey. I also agree about drafting Josh Freeman in the first round.

Thoughts?

I think cornerback is simply a bigger need and I think this is a year where it would be more efficient to add another starting WR through the Free Agency instead of the draft. I think Sydney Rice has the potential to be a solid two receiver to Berrian. I think you can also find great quality in later rounds with receiver this year: Jarrett Dillard from Rice is a player who is a little small at 5'11 185 but I think compares well to a Jerricho Cotchery (6'0 205) who was selected in the 4th round.

Not a bad mock at all, actually. I doubt Maualuga goes top 5, and Maclin to Oakland would be a massive reach (though it is Oakland, so its actually kind of realistic). Hakeem Nicks will need a freakish combine to get into the 1st round, let alone top 20. I am also surprised you have Andre Smith ranked under Oher and Monroe. Heyward Bey also just screams combine freak. I can def. see him being drafted in the 1st round duie to his size and his 40, but Johnson was a far more polished wide reciever in terms of route running and hands. Bey is a track star who plays football, not the other way around like it was for wr's like him in past years whove become big stars (Calvin Jonson or Randy Moss). I also like that you dont have Percy Harvin the top 20.

To the guy who asked, it wont be that hard for the Vikings to pass on Heyward Bey or especially Harvin. Berrien established himself as a real big play threat, you have a great tight end, and Sydney Rice is incredibly young with a huge upside.

Re: the combine: the combine exists only to verify raw physical talent. Yeah, you have the yearly set of combine freaks (usually wide recievers) who are tall and run very fast, and everybody starts assuming they know how to get seperation and ignore game film, and they result in situation like the Patriots drafting Chad Jackson over Greg Jennings because Jackson had a much better combine even though Jennings was far more polished. Its why guys like David Terrel, Rod Grdner, or Freddie Mitchell got drafted well before Chad Johnson.

Anyway, this is how I currently see it going.

1. Detroit: Matthew Stafford, QB, Georgia: if I ran the show, theyd go left tackle. But they are the Lions, and theyll do what the Lions do, and draft a talent prsopect and make him into a bust because they throw him into a terrible situation when he isnt ready for anything.

2. St. Louis Rams: Andre Smith, LT, Alabama: the best ot in college and heart of an offense. Orlando Pace neds a replacement.

3. Kansas City Chiefs: Aaron Curry, LB, Wake Forrest: Is Thigpen the answer? No idea. But he defiently preformed well enough to allow them to use the #3 overall pick on something else. They *could* go Sanchez here, and probably would go Stafford if he fell, or could trade for Pilois boy Cassel, and even with the probable departure of their 31 running back, they have to go d. Though Dorsey helped vs. north to south running, the defense was so shockingly slow that they were torched on the edges. Curry is the best defensive player in the draft.

4. Seattle Seahawks: Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech: this guy could be a big faller if he dissappoints at the combine, but his #'s should speak for themselves. Not much to say, they need everything, hes a much better wr then anybody is running back in this years draft.

5. Cleveland Browns: Brian Orakpo, OLB, Texas: best pass rusher in the draft with the ability to contain a side of the los. This is a must for them.

6. Cincinatti Bengals: Eugene Monroe, LT, Virginia: no brainer. Though they have significant needs everywhere, oline is the most pressing.

7. Oakland Raiders: BJ Raji, DT, BC: I will go out on a limb and say Oakland does a smart move. They still need a wr, but outside of Crabtree, everybody is pretty close with Maclin at #1 of the remaining wrs and far from a sure thing to most eyes (though to to my own). Their d sucks. This is simply a must. Though I wouldnt be shocked AT ALL for Davis to trade up and snag Crabtree.

8. Jacksonville Jaguars: OT Michael Oher, Ole Miss: no brainer for them after a year in which they took a huge step backwards.

9. Green Bay Packers: Malcolm Jenkins, CB, OSU: They could go Brown here for a pass rush, but Jenkins is a stuf who could be a shut down corner when Harris or Woodson soon slow.

10. San Francisco 49ers: Everette Brown, DE, Florida State: Singletary will fall in love with this guy who will be a beast in as a 3-4 pass rusher. They would def. go Raji if he falls but I dont see it.

11. Buffalo Bills: Aaron Maybin, DE, Penn State: they need a pass rush. Period. Pettigrew would be tempting but at #11 a definite reach.

12. Denver Broncos: Rey Maualuga, LB, USC: McDaniels never runs the ball when he had Maroney, Morris, Jordan, and everybody else healthy. No way he uses his 1st 1st round pick as a HC on a position he hardly ever uses. The teams d needs definite help due his versatility and football instincts, they need a natural to lead the team for years and theyve got one here.

13. Washington Redskins: Ebon Britton, OT, Arizona: they need a tackle badly.

14. New Orleans Saints: Vontae Davis, CB, Illinois: their hideous secondary gets an instant starter with Champ Bailey potential.

15. Houston Texans: Alphonso Smith, CB, Wake Forrest: another team that simply cant stop the pass. They have no other choice here.

16. San Diego Chargers: Chris Wells, RB, OSU: Flat out beast. He can play soft, but would be a deadly duo with Darren Sproles. Runs with power with incredible vision and burst for a man of a sized, very similar style to Adrian Peterson except more like a bull to Petersons horse. Like AD he has been injury prone in college.

17. New York Jets: Mark Sanchez, QB. USC: Guy could be a real star if properly coached. Hell have a decent offense as is, and this is a team that has needed a qb for a while.

18. Chicago Bears: Jeremy Maclin, WR, Missouri: Maclin and Hester would be a deadly-DEADLY-combo of a speed wide recievers (imagine a double reverse). Maclin is electrifying with good hands and reads, insane burst and excellent vision. Physically, he is miles ahead of Crabtree, but right now his overall game isnt even comparable. With good coaching, Maclin could be a pro bowler as a rookie.

19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia: funny he goes here because he is a Cadillac clone in virtually everywhere, even down to the baller 1st names. Moreno is a beast with excellent vision and patience but still has home run speed and power. A real star. That said, he isnt as explosive as some make him out to be. He isnt the most exciting college player weve seen in the past decade, thats Reggie Bush. Moreno is a straight g.

20. Detroit: Warren Beatty, OT, Uconn: time to go oline.

21. Philadelphia Eagles: LeSean McCoy, RB, Pittsburg: straight up beast who can take over most of the running plays while they use Westbrook as a full time recieving back ala KFaulk, who come in and provide a spark on the ground as well.

22. Minnesota Vikings: Josh Freeman, QB, Kansas State: this a team with no real major needs; maye this will put some fire under Jackson again.

23. New England Patriots: DJ Moore, CB, Vanderbilt: the Patriots already have the DROY in Mayo and probably most improved Safety in Brandon Meriweather to go with a great dline. Moore is a welcome replacement for Dhelta Oniel.

24. Atlanta Falcons: James Laurenatis, OLB, OSU: Team without any major needs picks a talented and proven player and leader.

25. Miami Dolphins: Williams Moore, Safety, Missouri: 1 they wont go wr, 2 Cushings has a too many flaws for Parcells and was caught juicing. Theyll go with secondary help.

26. Bmore Ravens: CB Darrius Butler, Uconn: he and Fab Wash could be the 2ndary of the future.

27. Indianapolis Colts: Peria Jerry, DT, Ole Miss: best available pick, and they could use the help. Steal.

28. Philadelphia Eagles: Kenny Britt, WR, Rutgers: Beast. Could be a great possession guy with elusive speed to match Jacksons speed.

29. New York Giants: Brian Cushing, LB, USC: They could go wide reciever, but Cushing is much more of a sure thing than any remaining WR.

30. Tennesse Titans: Darrius Heyward Bey, WR, Maryland: Gage could be a great #2 man and possession reciever. With Young at QB, Johnson in the backfield, and HB at wr, you have possibly the fastest offensive ever.

31. Arizona Cardinals: DE Michael Jonson, Georgia Tech: will be furious McCoy is taken. Go with a safe and borderline steal pick here with Mike Johnson.

32. Pittsburg Steelers: G, Duke Robinson, Oklahoma: still need to replace Faneca.

My top rbs and wr's.:

RB:
1. Chris Wells
2. Knowshon Moreno
3. Lesean McCoy
4. Shonn Greene
5. Donald Brown

WR:
2. Jeremy Maclin
3. Kenny Britt
4. Darrius Heyward Bey
5. Hakeem Nicks

Added my top 5 TE and OT.

Not a bad mock at all, actually. I doubt Maualuga goes top 5, and Maclin to Oakland would be a massive reach (though it is Oakland, so its actually kind of realistic). Hakeem Nicks will need a freakish combine to get into the 1st round, let alone top 20. I am also surprised you have Andre Smith ranked under Oher and Monroe. Heyward Bey also just screams combine freak. I can def. see him being drafted in the 1st round duie to his size and his 40, but Johnson was a far more polished wide reciever in terms of route running and hands. Bey is a track star who plays football, not the other way around like it was for wr's like him in past years whove become big stars (Calvin Jonson or Randy Moss). I also like that you dont have Percy Harvin the top 20.

Maualuga had a great Senior Bowl and I think he is a better OLB prospect than Orakpo in a 3-4 set. Macklin is a reach at 7, but you have to take into account the Al Davis effect.

Hakeem Nicks had a fantastic bowl game that helped his draft stock and I think his combine will have him compete for the 2nd or 3rd best WR in this draft position.

I did not compare Bey to Johnson as a polished wide receiver, but as being underutilized in college ball. Bey has amazing talent and I like his potential a lot.

Anyway, this is how I currently see it going.

1. Detroit: Matthew Stafford, QB, Georgia: if I ran the show, theyd go left tackle. But they are the Lions, and theyll do what the Lions do, and draft a talent prsopect and make him into a bust because they throw him into a terrible situation when he isnt ready for anything.

Stafford without a doubt is the QB prospect more ready for the NFL. They need O-Line help, but Stafford has tools around him to be successful.

2. St. Louis Rams: Andre Smith, LT, Alabama: the best ot in college and heart of an offense. Orlando Pace neds a replacement.

We agree in idea, disagree on Smith.

4. Seattle Seahawks: Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech: this guy could be a big faller if he dissappoints at the combine, but his #'s should speak for themselves. Not much to say, they need everything, hes a much better wr then anybody is running back in this years draft.

Crabtree is a guy that can only go up at the combine. Crabtree is not going to fall past Seattle.

5. Cleveland Browns: Brian Orakpo, OLB, Texas: best pass rusher in the draft with the ability to contain a side of the los. This is a must for them.

6. Cincinatti Bengals: Eugene Monroe, LT, Virginia: no brainer. Though they have significant needs everywhere, oline is the most pressing.

Again, agree in principal, disagree on execution.

7. Oakland Raiders: BJ Raji, DT, BC: I will go out on a limb and say Oakland does a smart move. They still need a wr, but outside of Crabtree, everybody is pretty close with Maclin at #1 of the remaining wrs and far from a sure thing to most eyes (though to to my own). Their d sucks. This is simply a must. Though I wouldnt be shocked AT ALL for Davis to trade up and snag Crabtree.

This pick is far too smart for Oakland.

11. Buffalo Bills: Aaron Maybin, DE, Penn State: they need a pass rush. Period. Pettigrew would be tempting but at #11 a definite reach.

Pettigrew is the best TE in this draft by a significant amount. He helps blocking and receiving. The Bills were 25th in offense, 13th in Pass Defense - this fills a bigger need.

A player like Paul Kurger will probably still be here in the second round.

12. Denver Broncos: Rey Maualuga, LB, USC: McDaniels never runs the ball when he had Maroney, Morris, Jordan, and everybody else healthy. No way he uses his 1st 1st round pick as a HC on a position he hardly ever uses. The teams d needs definite help due his versatility and football instincts, they need a natural to lead the team for years and theyve got one here.

The Patriots ranked 6th in rushing offense, not bad for a team that never runs the ball.

13. Washington Redskins: Ebon Britton, OT, Arizona: they need a tackle badly.

The Redskins may need a tackle but Britton is a textbook reach at 13. Britton may not be the fifth best tackle in the draft and he would never go off the board before Jason Smith of Baylor.

14. New Orleans Saints: Vontae Davis, CB, Illinois: their hideous secondary gets an instant starter with Champ Bailey potential.

15. Houston Texans: Alphonso Smith, CB, Wake Forrest: another team that simply cant stop the pass. They have no other choice here.

With the depth of CB in this draft I don't think Houston goes CB unless Dunta Robinson is no longer with the team.

16. San Diego Chargers: Chris Wells, RB, OSU: Flat out beast. He can play soft, but would be a deadly duo with Darren Sproles. Runs with power with incredible vision and burst for a man of a sized, very similar style to Adrian Peterson except more like a bull to Petersons horse. Like AD he has been injury prone in college.

:up:

17. New York Jets: Mark Sanchez, QB. USC: Guy could be a real star if properly coached. Hell have a decent offense as is, and this is a team that has needed a qb for a while.

I think Ryan is too smart to fall for the Sanchez trap. Sanchez has bust written all over him.

18. Chicago Bears: Jeremy Maclin, WR, Missouri: Maclin and Hester would be a deadly-DEADLY-combo of a speed wide recievers (imagine a double reverse). Maclin is electrifying with good hands and reads, insane burst and excellent vision. Physically, he is miles ahead of Crabtree, but right now his overall game isnt even comparable. With good coaching, Maclin could be a pro bowler as a rookie.

I think you have far more faith in Macklin than I do.

19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia: funny he goes here because he is a Cadillac clone in virtually everywhere, even down to the baller 1st names. Moreno is a beast with excellent vision and patience but still has home run speed and power. A real star. That said, he isnt as explosive as some make him out to be. He isnt the most exciting college player weve seen in the past decade, thats Reggie Bush. Moreno is a straight g.

I think Tampa is the type of team that would look at a Shonn Greene or a Ringer in a later round, I think with Earnest Graham, Cadillac and Dunn Tampa has other needs in the first round.

20. Detroit: Warren Beatty, OT, Uconn: time to go oline.

Again, you have forgotten Jason Smith.

22. Minnesota Vikings: Josh Freeman, QB, Kansas State: this a team with no real major needs; maye this will put some fire under Jackson again.

The Vikings have needs at CB, OT and C as well as QB. The difference is I don't think there is a QB here better than Tavaris Jackson. They should look at a Jake Delhomme, a Billy Volek or a Darrick Anderson here.

23. New England Patriots: DJ Moore, CB, Vanderbilt: the Patriots already have the DROY in Mayo and probably most improved Safety in Brandon Meriweather to go with a great dline. Moore is a welcome replacement for Dhelta Oniel.
I like this pick.

24. Atlanta Falcons: James Laurenatis, OLB, OSU: Team without any major needs picks a talented and proven player and leader.

Atlanta wouldn't pass up Pettigrew here, nor do I think they would go with Laurenatis over Williams Moore.

25. Miami Dolphins: Williams Moore, Safety, Missouri: 1 they wont go wr, 2 Cushings has a too many flaws for Parcells and was caught juicing. Theyll go with secondary help.

There is no way they go WR and I have to question Kiper's logic there. Cushings can play either OLB or DE in Miami's 3-4 scheme and Parcells is the same guy that picks LT so I don't think he will be scared by any past demons. Corner and DT are both bigger holes than safety.

27. Indianapolis Colts: Peria Jerry, DT, Ole Miss: best available pick, and they could use the help. Steal.

He would be an absolute steal here, but there is no way he slides past Miami either.

28. Philadelphia Eagles: Kenny Britt, WR, Rutgers: Beast. Could be a great possession guy with elusive speed to match Jacksons speed.

Britt would be a great fit for Phili, but this is a reach here and having him gone before Bey is a bit confusing. Philadelphia would be better off looking at the Free Agency for a WR or holding off for a Mohammad Massoquoi in a later round.

29. New York Giants: Brian Cushing, LB, USC: They could go wide reciever, but Cushing is much more of a sure thing than any remaining WR.

Bey couldn't be passed up here.

30. Tennesse Titans: Darrius Heyward Bey, WR, Maryland: Gage could be a great #2 man and possession reciever. With Young at QB, Johnson in the backfield, and HB at wr, you have possibly the fastest offensive ever.

The only thing faster than DHB is Percy Harvin.

31. Arizona Cardinals: DE Michael Jonson, Georgia Tech: will be furious McCoy is taken. Go with a safe and borderline steal pick here with Mike Johnson.

I love Mike Johnson but I think he slides into a second round steal (Detroit)

Last edited:
I think cornerback is simply a bigger need and I think this is a year where it would be more efficient to add another starting WR through the Free Agency instead of the draft. I think Sydney Rice has the potential to be a solid two receiver to Berrian. I think you can also find great quality in later rounds with receiver this year: Jarrett Dillard from Rice is a player who is a little small at 5'11 185 but I think compares well to a Jerricho Cotchery (6'0 205) who was selected in the 4th round.
To the guy who asked, it wont be that hard for the Vikings to pass on Heyward Bey or especially Harvin. Berrien established himself as a real big play threat, you have a great tight end, and Sydney Rice is incredibly young with a huge upside.
I agree that Sidney Rice, if healthy, could be a good #2 receiver next to Berrian. All I'm saying is that if a player like Harvin is available at 22, it would be tough to pass on him, using the Best Player Available method. It all depends on who is there at 22 though. I wouldn't mind a CB at all.

Crabtree is a guy that can only go up at the combine. Crabtree is not going to fall past Seattle.

I dont know. If he runs a sub 4.55 40 while a lineman has a freakish day, it wont be an easy decision.

This pick is far too smart for Oakland.
Their picks havent been THAT bad, its been their hideous free agent signings that made them a joke. Russel had a pretty damn good season given the circumstances, all they need is a wide reciever. Meanwhile, McFadden and Bush look like a possible duo made in heaven for years. Unless Crabtree is there, I defiently think theyll go defense.

The Patriots ranked 6th in rushing offense, not bad for a team that never runs the ball.

That was due to Cassel not hitting Moss for tds every time. McDaniels with Cutler passing to Marshall, Royal, Stokley, and Schefter = no need for legit feature back.

I think Ryan is too smart to fall for the Sanchez trap. Sanchez has bust written all over him.

I dunno just yet. I can EASILY picture him being a wild, Rex Grossman esque qb who shows flashes of brilliance but mostly incompetance. However, I like the Jets coaches and players around him.

I think you have far more faith in Macklin than I do.

Depends on how he is used. Rookie wide recievers asked to do everything almost always struggle. But the rooks asked to do simple things (run posts, fades, slants, and deep routes basically) adjust pretty easily, just look at Jackson or Royal. Maclins role would be pretty simple: go deep or go short while Hester does the opposite.

I think Tampa is the type of team that would look at a Shonn Greene or a Ringer in a later round, I think with Earnest Graham, Cadillac and Dunn Tampa has other needs in the first round.

If Maclin is available at #19, theyll take him over Moreno (who would in turn land in Philadelphia- wouldnt that be nice). But, if Knowshon is there at 19 and Maclin isnt, I think hell be a Buccaneer.

Britt would be a great fit for Phili, but this is a reach here and having him gone before Bey is a bit confusing. Philadelphia would be better off looking at the Free Agency for a WR or holding off for a Mohammad Massoquoi in a later round.

While I think their best for the team would be sign Housh or trade for Chad Johnson, I am assuming neither happens and as of draft day, they need a wr. Briit goes over Heyward Bey because he's easily the more NFL of the 2. Maybe not as big of an upside, buthes got the better route running, hands, is 10x as physical, but just a little slower (Britt runs a 40 in the low 4.4.'s).

The only thing faster than DHB is Percy Harvin

In a 50m dash Heyward Bey would own him; Harvin is just quicke reaction time. At best Percy will be a bigtime role player doing a poor impression of Reggie somewhere.

Here's my first mock draft this year. I'll probably edit my post later to say why said player will go to said team. I might even do round 2 later. I'm bored as hell.

1. Detroit Lions (0-16-0) - Matt Stafford, QB, Georgia
2. St. Louis Rams (2-14-0) - Eugene Monroe, OT, Virgina
3. Kansas City Chiefs (2-14-0) - Aaron Curry, LB, Wake Forest
4. Seattle Seahawks (4-12-0) - Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech
5. Cleveland Browns (4-12-0) - Brian Orakpo, DE, Texas
6. Cincinnati Bengals (4-11-1) - B.J. Raji, DT, Boston College
7. Oakland Raiders (5-11-0) - Jeremy Maclin, WR, Missouri
8. Jacksonville Jaguars (5-11-0) - Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio State
9. Green Bay Packers (6-10-0) - Andre Smith, OT, Alabama
10. San Francisco 49ers (7-9-0) - Everette Brown, OLB, Floridia State
11. Buffalo Bills (7-9-0) - Brandon Pettigrew, TE, Oklahoma State
12. Denver Broncos (8-8-0) - Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia
13. Washington Redskins (8-8-0) - Jason Smith, OT, Baylor
14. New Orleans Saints (8-8-0) - Vontae Davis, CB, Illinois
15. Houston Texans (8-8-0) - Michael Oher, OT, Ole Miss
16. San Diego Chargers (8-8-0) - Rey Maualuga, LB, Southern California
17. New York Jets (9-7-0) - Percy Harvin, WR, Florida
18. Chicago Bears (9-7-0) - Mark Sanchez, QB, USC
19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (9-7-0) - Chris Wells, RB, Ohio State
20. Detroit Lions (from DAL) - Brian Cushing, LB, Southern California
21. Philadelphia Eagles (9-6-1) - LeSean McCoy, RB, Pitt
22. Minnesota Vikings (10-6-0) - D.J. Moore, CB, Vanderbilt
23. New England Patriots - Aaron Maybin, DE, Penn State
24. Atlanta Falcons (11-5-0) - Peria Jerry, DT, Mississippi
25. Miami Dolphins (11-5-0) - Larry English, DE, Northern Illinois
26. Baltimore Ravens (11-5-0) - James Laurinaitis, LB, Ohio State
27. Indianapolis Colts (12-4-0) - Alphonso Smith, CB, Wake Forest
28. Philadelphia Eagles (from CAR) - Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU
29. New York Giants (12-4-0) - Darrius Heyward-Bey, WR, Maryland
30. Tennessee Titans (13-3) - Hakeem Nicks, WR, North Carolina
31. Arizona Cardinals (9-7-0) - Coye Francies, CB, San Jose State
32. Pittsburgh Steelers (12-4-0) - Alex Mack, C, California

Last edited:
Hot damn, no way Harvin goes top 20. Hell have to run a sub 4.3 to get in the top 32.

Waaaaay to early....Should of made this thread a few days before the draft. Like last year, Bad Norman

It all depends for the Steelers. I fear Hines Ward may call it quits if he gets a second ring. He is already Canton bound, and a second ring means he could go out on top instead of with a whimper. If he retires (which I don't think'll happen. I think he wants to break 10,000 yards first)...the Steelers will need a big talent receiver. Even if it means trading a 2nd and 3rd round pick for a higher 1st. Santonio Holmes is good, but I don't think he'll ever be great and Sweed is turning out to be a total bust. They'll need a big talent WR with Hines gone.

Holmes is legit, but they need a big guy. I believe Sweed is big but word is he drops everything. Lean on Mendenhall and Parker for a year while Sweed gets his hands together.

Hot damn, no way Harvin goes top 20. Hell have to run a sub 4.3 to get in the top 32.

We'll see what happens. The combine will tell a lot more.

Waaaaay to early....Should of made this thread a few days before the draft. Like last year, Bad Norman

No, it's fine making it now. You want us to discuss the draft 2 days before it happens?

It all depends for the Steelers. I fear Hines Ward may call it quits if he gets a second ring. He is already Canton bound, and a second ring means he could go out on top instead of with a whimper. If he retires (which I don't think'll happen. I think he wants to break 10,000 yards first)...the Steelers will need a big talent receiver. Even if it means trading a 2nd and 3rd round pick for a higher 1st. Santonio Holmes is good, but I don't think he'll ever be great and Sweed is turning out to be a total bust. They'll need a big talent WR with Hines gone.

The Steelers need to fill their offensive line needs before they get a WR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"