2016: the 50th Anniversary of Star Trek

Picard Sisko

Prepare to be Assimilated
Reaction score
The 50th anniversary of this beloved franchise is a couple of years away, and something special needs to be done. We know that a third film in the reboot series is no doubt going to happen, but I think a TV special is in order. Why not find a way of reuniting Kirk and Picard again? Generations was pretty unsatisfying, so this could be a way of rectifying it.

I would love a DS9 continuation but it wasn't popular enough to really stand out. It either must relate to TOS or TNG. Any ideas?

Quite frankly I think the old shows ran their course (with some running into the ground).

I wouldn't mind a new, unrelated show. It needs a bold new direction though.

Cameos would be fine though.

I'm talking about a TV special, not a new series. Read carefully.

Oh. Well enjoy your Generations 2.0 then. I'll see myself out.

A TV special does not have to be a "Generatons 2.0." There are other possibilities you know. I just gave one idea.

I'm not really expecting much. No one cares about pre-Abrams Star Trek. :/

I'm not really expecting much. No one cares about pre-Abrams Star Trek. :/
There are plenty of fans who care about pre-Abrams Star Trek. Enough to justify a TV special at least, or some screenings of older ST films at movie theaters.

A new TV show would be great to truly re-kindle what Trek is and the medium it started on. I've been crossing my fingers for over a decade for a new show. Going through TNG on Blu-Ray and the talk now of them finding the elements needed to do DS9 on Blu gets me more thinking about it.

I wouldn't count on a whole new series for the 50th, but I do imagine we will get one sooner or later. They have to take their time and do it right, otherwise they will blow their chance to bring ST back as a series.

How long will the film franchise last?

I see no reason why it has to end. The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Voyager, and Enterprise all aired alongside the films.

Having said that, I doubt we'll see a new show in the foreseeable future. By all indications, CBS seems totally uninterested.

I suppose they think its just more profitable to make movies. For now we can sort of look forward to the fan pilot of "Star Trek: Renegades."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhZPbX2x3Ug

Not expecting much from this, but for a fan made production it looks pretty good.

I was going to post something about that, but wasn't sure where it should go. It does look interesting though.

Like I had said, I'm not expecting much, though it is directed by Tim Russ, so that gives it a bigger chance of getting noticed by CBS.

I think they want to turn it into an online series, if not one that airs on television. One can only hope, right?

Like I had said, I'm not expecting much, though it is directed by Tim Russ, so that gives it a bigger chance of getting noticed by CBS.

Although they're still selling Prime Universe merchandise the focus seems to be on the new films. Renegades is interesting as it revisits several familiar faces. I am a Kickstarter member, and I think it'll work as a one-off and maybe a fan series like Phase II, but CBS have turned down a few new series ideas. I'm sure one day they wil want to bring back Trek on TV.

I think any hope of a Titan or Excelsior series has been and gone, as well as they look Takei and Frakes have aged significantly and i think the latter has turned to directing. Yes I love seeing the heroes back on camera, that's why I am so keen on Renegades, but for the franchise moving forward I think they will have to be very careful on approach - a new series would have to cater for the general audience as well as the existing Trek fan community.

Funnily enough in 2006 for the 40th Of Gods and Men was made as an anniversary tribute as CBS/Paramount didn't do one! I think for now the most exciting Trek projects are the fan ones: Renegades, Continues, Phase II, Axanar...

I mean the 50th anniversary is a much bigger deal than the 40th, so if a TV special is ever going to get made, this would be the time. I'm not asking for a full TV series (though that would be a treat), but just a good one hour special would be great.

I think a retrospective may air, but the big show will be the next movie. It seems to be the way they are going.

Star Trek 3 and new tv series

I think a retrospective may air, but the big show will be the next movie. It seems to be the way they are going.
Well, as long as we are getting SOMETHING. Heck, I'd cry with joy if we get a flashback episode, like Spock today looking back at his TOS adventures. Or another documentary would be great as well.

Well, wishful thinking would be a new documentary on TOS, but one can only dream.

I could see some sort of TV special or documentary airing on that day. I think wishful thinking would be getting a new TV series.

I'd like a new TV series, but I'd be at a loss to imagine how it would get off the ground in today's TV industry landscape.

I think Star Trek would do better on a cable network or streaming service (Netflix) than on broadcast television (CBS, NBC, etc…)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"