The Future of Star Trek

Picard Sisko

Prepare to be Assimilated
Reaction score
Its a given that we are getting a sequel to Star Trek Into Darkness, which is most likely going to be released in 2016. However, where do we go from there? Do we continue making Star Trek movies set in the Abrams-verse? Another TV series set in the original timeline (or the alternate)? A TNG reboot? Or nothing?

What are some of your thoughts?

Its a given that we are getting a sequel to Star Trek Into Darkness, which is most likely going to be released in 2016. However, where do we go from there? Do we continue making Star Trek movies set in the Abrams-verse? Another TV series set in the original timeline (or the alternate)? A TNG reboot? Or nothing?

What are some of your thoughts?

Chris Pine let it slip in some interview that he's committed to at least two more films after Into Darkness.

Chris Pine let it slip in some interview that he's committed to at least two more films after Into Darkness.
I need to find that interview if its somewhere online still.

Didn't Quinto at one point say that STID was going to be his last film? That must have been a rumor.

If I had to choose, and if I could get my wish, it'd be to have this cast taken into a tv series. Now, I doubt that will happen...even though these days tv series' seem to be more respected and watched than ever before. The stigma of a movie actor doing tv seems to be non-existent anymore. And Quinto still does tv, and Urban has an upcoming tv show. So maybe it's not as much of a long shot as I think it is.

I think Star Trek is best when it's serialized. And I really like this cast. They got the right people to play these roles these roles.

But, if I had to wager on it, I'd say after another film they could do another series in the original timeline and probably another film with the Abrams-verse. If the series won't have the Abrams-verse cast, then there'd be no need to tie it into the alternate timeline, I think. And I really do believe that the a new tv series, unrelated to the current films, can co-exist.

There were a couple of Star Trek films made while TNG was on the air, so it wouldn't be so far fetched to have a TV series unrelated to the current films.
-------
They could make a TV series that takes place in the original timeline after Spock and Nero went through the wormhole. The show could discuss the mystery behind it, and then continue to explore the Federation's relations with the Romulans, whose potential partnership was first introduced in Star Trek: Nemesis.

I think they should just say Chekov transferred.

They could adapt the Gary Mitchell storyline. I always saw it as Star Trek's Akria

I think that’s wisest. Still, I’m keen for more

If they bring this back, they need to make a film that doesn’t result in the crew racing against time to stop some bad guy with a grudge against Starfleet who wants to destroy a planet, city or space station. You can have some sort of evil threat but each of these movies just felt like they were telling the same story by the end.

Yeah fair point. Not sure what else they can do because obviously people still expect big budget action but it just needs that new kind of hook

Here's hoping they actually give McCoy something to do this time around. So far Karl Urban has been completely wasted, and he's so great in the role.

If they bring this back, they need to make a film that doesn’t result in the crew racing against time to stop some bad guy with a grudge against Starfleet who wants to destroy a planet, city or space station. You can have some sort of evil threat but each of these movies just felt like they were telling the same story by the end.

It's tough after the go-to thing in 09 film was jettisoning Vulcan. You need to create stakes and conflict somehow.

They show up on a planet at war, they intervene and help getting stranded civilians out.. that's the action... but they need to focus on heart...

Oh that’s funny I don’t remember there being a poll on this?

anyway, just to stir the pot a bit, if I did an abrahms next gen cast it would look like this

Picard - Ben Kingsley
Will Riker - John Krasinski
Councillor Troi - Gal Gadot
Beverley Crusher - Bryce Dallas Howard
Data - Lee Jong Suk
Geordi LaForge - John Boyega
Worf - Ricky Whittle
Wesley Crusher - Roman Griffen Davis
Guinen - Oprah Winfrey

Nice! Love Boyega as LaForge and Bryce as Crusher.

Here are some alternate ideas for an A-List cast…

Capt. Picard: Daniel Craig
Riker: Jake Gyllenhaal
Counselor Troi: Lady Gaga
Geordi LaForge: Malcolm Goodwin
Tasha Yar: Mackenzie Davis
Data: Paul Dano
Worf: Trevante Rhodes
Dr. Beverly Crusher: Jessica Chastain
Guinnen: Angela Basset

Oh lady Gaga would be fun, it would be awesome if they cast someone on that camp scale for Loxanna like Barbra Streisand or something.

yeah I’ve been thinking about Tasha. Lots of people cast Elizabeth Debecki as her but I would love to see someone cast as her with a bit more grrr

Oh lady Gaga would be fun, it would be awesome if they cast someone on that camp scale for Loxanna like Barbra Streisand or something.

yeah I’ve been thinking about Tasha. Lots of people cast Elizabeth Debecki as her but I would love to see someone cast as her with a bit more grrr

Debicki would be good but yeah; I agree that Yar needs to be a bit grittier and I haven’t really seen that kind of energy from her in anything.

Also, I need to amend my casting for Dr. Crusher… upon further consideration I think I would go with Rachelle Lefevre over Chastain. Either would be great but for whatever reason I like Rachelle better for that role.

For comparison, look at the TOS movies. Only two of them involve a big direct threat of destruction to Planet Earth, or anywhere else even: TPM and Voyage Home. And neither of those involve a grudge against Earth or Starfleet. Otherwise, you've got Wrath of Khan, which does involve a grudge but its against Kirk specifically and any larger threat is vague; Search for Spock is primarily just about the Genesis Planet ( and while the Klingon captain certainly *imagines* himself as a giant threat he isn't ); Final Frontier doesn't directly threaten anyone other than the people on the ship; and Undiscovered Country involves the threat of renewed war but its only as threatening *as* war, not some immediate existential "fate of the planet" thing.

Basically, the TOS run had about a one third rate of "Fate of the Planet" and a one third rate of "Villainous Grudge", and they aren't even the *same* one third. And that's with the TOS movies already actioned up, because movies. Which is why I really wish Star Trek could get a good new TV show, it really needs the serial format so it can have *non* action stories.

( No, Discovery and Picard do not count. :p Though Lower Deck might. )

‘Star Trek’ Sequel Reveal Surprised Its Own Stars – The Hollywood Reporter

Sounds like Paramount made an announcement without even informing the cast members and their reps. The actors didn't even know they were planning on doing a new movie by this year with all of them involved.

In other words, they hadn't even secured the main movie cast members to new deals yet for this new movie when they made that announcement. I found this passage very interesting:

The hope is to begin filming in the fall in order to make the Dec. 22, 2023, theatrical release. The script is still being worked on, according to sources, and there is no green light or budget in place. In fact, the budget will now likely have to account for talent deals that may be supersized. Industry insiders say that Paramount let go of negotiating leverage in order to have a key chess piece as it courts Wall Street investors.

Last edited:
Nice! Love Boyega as LaForge and Bryce as Crusher.

Here are some alternate ideas for an A-List cast…

Capt. Picard: Daniel Craig
Riker: Jake Gyllenhaal
Counselor Troi: Lady Gaga
Geordi LaForge: Malcolm Goodwin
Tasha Yar: Mackenzie Davis
Data: Paul Dano
Worf: Trevante Rhodes
Dr. Beverly Crusher: Jessica Chastain
Guinnen: Angela Basset

Some crazy good suggestions all round..

Picard, I like the idea of Chiwetel Ejiofor and as for Data... Matt Smith.

Lada Gaga is inspired, if they alien her up a bit too...

LOL whoops

Quick, there’s still time to course correct and bring Chris Hemsworth back from the dead since he’s a big star now and hire Tarantino to make R-rated Star Trek.

LOL whoops

Quick, there’s still time to course correct and bring Chris Hemsworth back from the dead since he’s a big star now and hire Tarantino to make R-rated Star Trek.
Hemsworth would cost a lot more now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"