300: Rise of an Empire

Just not sure about this movie at all, its an obvious cash-in, and the story doesnt even sound that interesting or that it has much to do with the 300 at Thermopylae, will have to see a trailer first but dont think I will be watching this in the cinema.

This seems to be set around another battle between the Persians and the Spartans after the Battle of Thermopylae.

Looks awful. The sky is overly exposed / bright. Makes the whole thing looked washed out.

This movie probably should have come out four years ago.

This movie probably should have come out four years ago.

I'm actually more surprised WB is releasing it in August. I thought they'd keep with tradition by making it an early March release, since the first film did so well in that period.

I'm a bit sad Eva Green is wearing that many clothes in this film. You'd figure with her playing Xerxes' second-in-command, that she'd be similarly attired. :cwink:

stapleton look so damn generic compared to butler and looks extremely out of shape for a greek general

I'm actually more surprised WB is releasing it in August. I thought they'd keep with tradition by making it an early March release, since the first film did so well in that period.
While the first film was really popular, I think if it was released in early March, it wouldn't have stood a chance against Oz.

Out of the 4 "too late to care" CBM sequels(this, kick-ass 2, sin city 2, and red 2)being released this year,this will probably be the worst.

While the first film was really popular, I think if it was released in early March, it wouldn't have stood a chance against Oz.

I was talking about March 2014...

Out of the 4 "too late to care" CBM sequels(this, kick-ass 2, sin city 2, and red 2)being released this year,this will probably be the worst.

To be fair, Kick-Ass 2 and Red 2 are being released in an appropriate window of time. My reservations on Kick-Ass 2 however, is that possibly that the new director didn't 'get' the first film's emotional core and just wants to throw a bunch of action scenes into the flick.

That being said,yes this 300 sequel took way too long to get released. It's not even by Synder, 300 was a bit of a 'fad' movie so going back to that type of style now is almost archaic.

Where as with Sin City 2, at least the same team (for the most part) and Robert are back. This new director Noam whatever..is a huge question mark.

Trailer reactions:

From, IGN
Director Noam Murro also sent a pre-recorded greeting to show off a work-in-progress version of the trailer for 300: Rise of an Empire, which shows how much the sequel will remain visually similar to the original film from its stylized fights to its painterly palette. There's also a whole lot of wild and crazy sex between the hero (Sullivan Stapleton) and the villainess (Eva Green).http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04/17/warner-bros-shows-off-man-of-steel-the-hobbit-pacific-rim-and-more-at-cinemacon

From, Commingsoon.net
Introduced by Murro, 300: Rise of an Empire showed off the very first footage from the August 2 release, primarily focused on the building of armies on the part of both Eva Green's Artemisia and Rodrigo Santoro's Xerxes and glimpses of the film's enormous sea battles.

Filmed to look very much like Snyder's original 300, Rise of an Empire boasts a seafaring battle spread across hundreds of vessels and the ocean itself. There's even a few shots of a warrior on a horse leaping from boat to boat to continue the combat.
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/cinemaconnews.php?id=103104

From, Shockya
Next came a nice surprise – Noam Murro, the director of “300: Rise of an Empire.” He explained he’s still hard at work on the film so couldn’t be there in person, but he did unveil plans to screen a series of unfinished footage to convey the tone and scale of the film.

The montage opened with a clip from the original of Gerard Butler’s King Leonidas proclaiming, “For tonight, we dine in hell,” before cutting to a grave, suggesting his death. From there the footage attempted to deliver a handful of plot details, but it all piled up so quickly, it was nearly impossible to digest. Without being able to get a strong grasp on the narrative, it became all about the visuals, which, much like the original, showed off a mesmerizing blend of live action performances amidst a heavily digital landscape. There were an abundance of stormy seas that transitioned into more intimate moments, revealing crews of haggard men rowing the massive ships onward.

Eva Green was also a stand out as an exceptionally effective villainous force, even out of context. Her effortless threatening presence combined with a menacing costume adorned with spikes down her spine suggest the ultimate threat.

It was a solid start, but hopefully a finished trailer will designate more time to building the story and characters, allowing viewers to go a step beyond watching the footage and actually feel the impact of the events taking place.http://www.shockya.com/news/2013/04/17/cinemacon-2013-warner-bros-bring-out-man-of-steel-pacific-rim-gravity-and-more/

From, Cinemablend
Man of Steel isn’t the only film on Warner Bros. slate with a Zack Snyder connection. In late summer we will be seeing the sequel to the 2006 blockbuster 300 in the form of director Noam Murro’s 300: Rise of an Empire, and while we recently got to see the first few stills from the movie pop up online, as well as the first poster, tonight the studio showed off the first bit of footage to the crowds at CinemaCon.

Admittedly it’s hard to give a shot-by-shot description, as there was a great deal of action and many quick cuts, the reel did have plenty to offer visually. For starters, it’s immediately clear that Murro has worked to match the aesthetic of Snyder’s original, with a dark and gritty feel matched with scenes of intensity and battle. The footage also balanced a lot of its violence – of which there was plenty – with a good amount of sex and sensuality (again, similar to the first movie). It would also seem that the film will be giving us a bit of backstory about Xerxes, the character played by Rodrigo Santoro, as we see him both as the “living god” with a shaved head and jewelry, as well as with a full head of hair and a beard, presumably before he ascended to the throne. Given all of the promotional materials we’ve been seeing of late as well as the August 2nd release date, we can probably expect the first trailer to arrive soon. http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Gravity-300-Rise-An-Empire-We-re-Millers-More-Debut-Footage-CinemaCon-37010.html

Last edited:

How is Red 2 "too late to care"? It comes in the regular timeframe folks expect for sequels (2-3 years apart), not after. The first film hit October 2010, the sequel is hitting July 2013. That's close to three years.

And it's funny, seeing how Eva Green will be in two of those "too late to care" sequels. She's playing the villain in not only 300: Rise of an Empire but also in Sin City: A Dame to Kill For. She'll definitely be a highlight in both... she always adds class, her A-game, and her smoldering Gallic beauty to every role. :woot:

Eva Greene crazy sex?

and why is everyone acting like they showed footage 1 year before the premiere. this needs to have a trailer in may.

Looks awful. The sky is overly exposed / bright. Makes the whole thing looked washed out.
whats interesting is that its not even 2 times to bright. it looks like 3-4 times to bright. what are they thinking?

Junkie XL has replaced Federico Jusid as composer on the film, and David Brenner (Man of Steel) is co-editing the film.

http://www.300themovie.com/characters.html#

Also, a few new character photos of Eva Green and Sullivan Stapleton are on the website too.

bGxEDsO.png

I was looking at the website, and I didn't know David Wenham was reprising his role in the sequel until now! So that makes it three people returning for the sequel... Queen Gorgo, Xerxes, and now Dillios.

Also, WB has updated their worldwide release dates for next year... the film will open day-and-date worldwide in most territories (either a day before or on March 7th). Chile won't get it until the week after, but Japan won't get it until May 30th.

stapleton look so damn generic compared to butler and looks extremely out of shape for a greek general

Themistocles is an Athenian leader, not Spartan. So Stapleton will not have a uber-sculpted body like Gerard Butler. He will be in shape and a badass but don't expect a repeat of Butler's Greek God physique.

And Stapleton is a good actor.

I communicated with someone who has seen the film and here is some information. I have full faith that the person has seen the film.

-The film is just under 2 hours long
-The film will be rated R
-The primary heroes are Athenians and not the Spartans. The Athenian's are farmers, teachers and herders, so they are not a military culture like Sparta. They won't have the six pack look like the Spartans
-The film takes place before, during and after the events of 300
-Sullivan Stapleton in the lead role does not have the presence of Gerard Butler because he does not have that great of a body. But his performance is still strong and badass
-The action is a lot better than the first movie (!!!!)
-The brutality and blood is much more than the first film
-There are so slow motion shots which made the first film famous
-Artemisia (Eva Green) has an explicit sex scene with Themistocles (Sullivan Stapleton). He told me it was all out with lots of nudity from Green and biting and slapping and Themistocles absolute pounds Artemisisa as she makes him an offer to be a Persian General.

And now a spoiler laden plot rub-down
The movie begins after the end of 300. Xerxes cuts off Leonidas' head and takes it away as a trophy. Then there is a flashback sequence where Xerxes story is recounted - how he saw Themistocles kill his father Darius at the Battle of Marathon. Themistocles tells him that the Greeks are so mighty that only the Gods can defeat them. That's when Artemisia whispers in his ear that he should become a god. And he becomes the god we see in 300.

Themistocles and the Athenians fight the Persians on ships. After the slaughter of Leonidas and the 300 (mid-way through the movie), Themistocles goes through Greece to rally support. First Ephialtes is sent by Xerxes to Themistocles to ask him to surrender but is sent back. Then Artemisia tries to seduce him, Themistocles refuses her too. The war continues. In the end, when Queen Gorgo's (Lena Headey) mourning over Leonidas is over, she leads the Spartan army to the battlefront and the Spartans and Athenians together destroy the Persian army.

I wonder if that nephilim giant xerxes is gonna be in this one or there's gonna be a bigger and powerful one?

Anyways i can't wait for this movie come out i'm holding on to my expectations that this one is gonna be good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"