6 Famous Characters You Didn't Know were Shameless Rip offs

Sherlock Holmes will always be going strong, it's classic literature.

The definition of "rip off" can either mean "stolen" or "borrowed idea" depending on how forgiving one is. I think most creative people are honest enough to point out that while there's a definite gray area, and many good concepts have resulted from borrowing another creator's idea, one essentially becomes the other if you don't make it obvious you're paying homage on some level.

Define "going strong". :).

I suppose I should have said culturally lasting or something, but even that doesn't cover it. In the public consciousness, etc, maybe.

More or less.

Sherlock Holmes has a long running tv show on BBC. Zorro is still in the public consciousness....if I draw a Z on the wall are people gonna know it was Zorro I was emulating or a zebra???
Just because Batman got a boost because of TDK doesnt mean he didnt have influences.
If I took The concept of the Lone Ranger and updated it to contemporary times its still a rip off.

Ahh, the crapfest that was TDK....:woot:

**runs**

I'm only kidding by the way, so please.. do not try to crucify me.

Sherlock Holmes will always be going strong, it's classic literature.
I agree. Sherlock Holmes basically established the detective fiction genre. The character is an icon. I would even argue that he is more iconic than Batman just for the fact that he has influenced things that we read and many subsequent characters.*dodges rotten tomato*.

I agree. Sherlock Holmes basically established the detective fiction genre. The character is an icon. I would even argue that he is more iconic than Batman just for the fact that he has influenced things that we read and many subsequent characters.*dodges rotten tomato*.
The reason for Batman's relative success has nothing to do with the character itself...the success is a product of the time of his creation and the inherent ability of the character to remain "modern."

Zorro and Sherlock Holmes are now period characters; I wouldn't want them to be (nor SHOULD they be) updated for a modern audience. That would take away from the characters and the stories which, in my opinion, ARE better than those presented in the Batman universe.

The reason for Batman's relative success has nothing to do with the character itself...the success is a product of the time of his creation and the inherent ability of the character to remain "modern."

Zorro and Sherlock Holmes are now period characters; I wouldn't want them to be (nor SHOULD they be) updated for a modern audience. That would take away from the characters and the stories which, in my opinion, ARE better than those presented in the Batman universe.

Aww, well you are in for a hurting.

I'm sure you already know who is directing the Holmes movie.. :(

There is a difference between recognizeable and going strong. I'd love nothing more than for Sherlock Holmes to come back into culture in a big way, but the fact is, as iconic as Holmes is, Batman has become moreso.

well we shall see when this new movie comes out with RDJ

Aww, well you are in for a hurting.

I'm sure you already know who is directing the Holmes movie.. :(
I haven't been following it, to be honest. Hey, if they can keep true to the character with an update, I'm all for it, but I don't see it happening. I'll check out the movie forum. :up:

There is a difference between recognizeable and going strong. I'd love nothing more than for Sherlock Holmes to come back into culture in a big way, but the fact is, as iconic as Holmes is, Batman has become moreso.
It's because the character is adaptable on a temporal scale. I have no problem with Batman updating his technology and gear, for example, but if somebody gave Holmes a DNA-sequencing machine I'd be pissed. As time progresses, characters who become fixed in time simply lose recognition. It's sad as hell.

It's because the character is adaptable on a temporal scale. I have no problem with Batman updating his technology and gear, for example, but if somebody gave Holmes a DNA-sequencing machine I'd be pissed. As time progresses, characters who become fixed in time simply lose recognition. It's sad as hell.

Maybe here but as I said there is a long running tv show on the BBC, there is a movie coming out and around the country people dress up as characters from the books and reenact some of the mysteries. There is a museum in London dedicated just to Sherlock Holmes.there are monuments built there dedicated to him. The TV show House is an allusion to Holmes as they have the same apt number. "Elemetary my dear watson" is on the public vocabulary. More actors have played Sherlock Holmes than any other fictional character(51 being that number).

More popular =/= more iconic.

Maybe here but as I said there is a long running tv show on the BBC, there is a movie coming out and around the country people dress up as characters from the books and reenact some of the mysteries. There is a museum in London dedicated just to Sherlock Holmes.there are monuments built there dedicated to him. The TV show House is an allusion to Holmes as they have the same apt number. "Elemetary my dear watson" is on the public vocabulary. More actors have played Sherlock Holmes than any other fictional character(51 being that number).
Never made that connection :csad:

Carch is correct...

Zorro's girl was waaay hotter than Batman's girl.

Quite a few of Batman's key elements came from Zorro and The Phantom. He's an amalgam of Zorro, The Phantom, Sherlock Holmes, and of course, The Bat. Oh, and The Shadow.

You forgot Doc Savage

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"