8 Laws ALL Comic Book Movies follow

Origin stories are definitely almost always tedious

Multiple villains work as long as it isnt the tired "lets team up to get the hero" gimmick. Batman Begins juggled and connected them well i thought

Stupid reveals like most of them in SM2 are bad

Evil heroes. how oxymoronic, Hollywood?

2-4 I think have good intentions, trying to humanize the characters rather than make them one-sided or move the plot along, but they always seem cliched and tired

1 I have a feeling that might stop for awhile now that these movies have become slightly more iconic and have greater quality thanks to new tech.

I like this thread. Any thread about the superhero genre as a whole is very cool.

It's bull. There are far too many exceptions for any of these to apply.

I liked this article. I did find myself defending and explaining things to my screen as I was reading, like "Well, Ra's didn't actually invade the batcave, just the manor," or "Well, the X-Men brought Dark Phoenix into the mansion, so that doesn't count." I thought Spidey's power loss in SM2 was supposed to be mysterious so we could try to figure out why it's happening ourselves. But I'll admit, there were a lot of things mentioned in this article that do bother me about comic films, like excessive identity reveals, especially when the hero reveals his identity to the girl so he can bone her. There was NO excuse for Riddler getting into the Manor so easily in Forever. And why can't any superhero franchise last more than three halfway decent installments? The Bond movies lasted for 20 movies before they had to start over at the beginning. Origin stories don't bother me much, though I wouldn't mind more superhero movies that just dive in and explain the origin later, like Blade.

I feel thats hes stretching with a few of those. Though i means thats the joke of the 8 laws(would be funny if he was 100% serious).

What? None of those rules applied to all comic book films, and they got less and less broad as the list went on. "The villain must redeem himself"? Where heas that ever been found outside the Spider-Man franchise? (And Mystique does not redeem herself, she gets back at Magneto for ditching her after she saved his life)

B89's origin story was not even close to tedious, by the way. It was one of the better-crafted handlings of a hero's beginnings, letting the audience be vicarious participents through Vicki Vale in discovering more and more about Batman's character as the film goes on. And it only tells us the bare essentials, leaving the tedious details by the wayside and leaving much of Batman in isolation and mystery, just as he himself was.

What? None of those rules applied to all comic book films, and they got less and less broad as the list went on. "The villain must redeem himself"? Where heas that ever been found outside the Spider-Man franchise? (And Mystique does not redeem herself, she gets back at Magneto for ditching her after she saved his life)

B89's origin story was not even close to tedious, by the way. It was one of the better-crafted handlings of a hero's beginnings, letting the audience be vicarious participents through Vicki Vale in discovering more and more about Batman's character as the film goes on. And it only tells us the bare essentials, leaving the tedious details by the wayside and leaving much of Batman in isolation and mystery, just as he himself was.

yeh totally....basically its the same kind of list where anyone can ***** about romantic comedies, action movies, dramas, idies fliks etc...same with the way a song is crafted...verse, chorus, guitar solo, chorus, verse, chorus etc.....you know what i mean..... thats life.

same with books. if everything was "realistic, we wouldnt watch it. case in point, "reality" TV..seriously? REAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYY?

haha am i making any sense?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"