Things You Would Change About Your Favorite Comic Book Movies?

Detective Conan

Avenger
Reaction score
I love or at the very least like a lot of comic book movies but even with movies I unabashedly love like TDK there are some scenes I do find somewhat iffy so I ask what are moments or scenes in comic book movies you love that you either weren’t there or were changed?

For me, I love the first Donner Superman movie as much as the next guy but I think they could’ve used a little camp, and I would Lex be more of a ruthless businessman. Love the first Spider-Man but I definitely would’ve obviously changed the Goblin costume. Just a few that come to mind.

In Avengers: Endgame, I'd have had more interactions between all of the heroes during the final battle and even afterwards after coming back from the snap. Of course that would result in the movie being at least another 15-20 minutes but so be it. :o

As much as I loved the whole sequence, it always bugged me as a kid that The Joker died at the end of Batman '89. Always wished he could have lived and that Nicholson could have possibly returned again in a sequel.

There are a few that aren't faults as such, more a sign of when they were made; I'd fix that dreadful overhead FX first shot of Batman near the edge of the building, turning and swirling his cape in Batman '89. And likewise the CGI both in Blade (during Frost's demise), and in Blade II (when Blade's fighting the Bloodpack).

I'd fix Batman's vanishing eye makeup when he unmasks in Batman Returns. I'd remove the whole Doomsday/Death of Superman thing from BvS. I'd get rid of the generic CGI battle against Ares at the end of Wonder Woman, I'd reshoot Talia's awful death scene in TDKR, and I'd cut down the runtime of the second half of The Batman (that's definitely where it starts to feel bloated).

ETA I'd remove the whole 'jokey' tone from the big battle between the two sides of heroes in Captain America: Civil War. Whenever I see that film I enjoy it up to that point, then that conversation starts between Hawkeye and Black Widow about not really trying to hurt each other and it really p*sses me off. My interest drops for the rest of the movie (in fact, more than once I've stopped watching at that point). Completely pulls me out of it.

Last edited:
Rogue in a bigger role in X-Men: Days of Future Past. More action scene and dialogue for the X-Men's beloved original cast.

I'd put Spider-man in his classic red and blue suit for Infinity War/End-game instead of that awful Stark suit.

In The Dark Knight Rises I would have had Selina be called 'The Catwoman' by some of the characters in the movie.

For Endgame, I would have added a post-credit that introduced the next Big Bad.

I wish Batman Returns had kept the conclusion twist reveal that Max was the Penguin's brother.

I think Spider-Man 2 would have probably been even better with Peter just choosing to not use his powers rather than temporarily lose them but that's a very big risky change, could have been at least a bit worse.

I wish Mystique and maybe Sabretooth had had a bit more dialogue in the first X-Men, especially Mystique dialogue to Rogue after she played a big part in getting her captured.

Batman ‘89: Cut down some of the Joker’s screen time so the movie actually feels like it’s about Batman/Bruce.

I would have changed so many things about "Superman Returns", the main things being its over-reliance on the previous films and extremely campy tone. The first film had moments that were a little silly, but very few of the actors appeared to be mugging for the camera. Of all the cast, I would have looked for someone besides Kate Bosworth for Lois, or if she remained, directed her a whole lot better. She just came across as so stiff and unemotional, except for her scenes with Tristan Lake LeBeau as her son, Jason. I thought Frank Langella was too gentle as Perry - he needed to be more bold and authoritative. Kevin Spacey is a decent enough actor, but the way he did Lex was probably the worst depiction I can imagine in my life.

Love X-Men, but there’s definitely some changes to be made to make the film look more like the characters from the comics:

The roster would be increased to include Gambit and Beast—Gambit essentially replaces Bobby in the narrative, and Beast takes over from Jean in the medical bay.

Instead of a runaway teen, Rogue should have been introduced as a young adult (early 20s) when she meets Logan in Canada.

I would have given Rogue her classic powers too. When she’s on the road with Logan, we’re treated to a flashback… a woman named Raven takes Rogue under her wing and teaches her to use her powers. Before long, Rogue is manipulated her into using them against another like her—purposefully opaque as to not shown nor directly name-drop Carol Danvers / Ms. Marvel. The experience left Rogue forever changed, permanently absorbing super strength and flight. She fled Raven and her newfound family.

When Rogue is later captured, and Magneto reveals his plan to her, Mystique then reveals herself as Raven. Both she and Magneto have been planning this for a long time, and have been trying to get Rogue back ever since she left. Though she tries to fight the Brotherhood, Rogue’s defeated and placed in the machine.

With another two X-Men, I’d add Pyro or Blob to the Brotherhood as well (probably Pyro).

The mansion should still function as a school but there’s no Bobby Drake. The Jubilee and Kitty cameos remain but other mutant student cameo are non-character-specific powers/effects & physical mutations.

Both Cyclops and Storm’s roles would be enhanced with character-driven dialogue (i.e. Storm connecting with Rogue, teaching her to not look at her gifts as a curse; or Scott stepping up as leader and earning Logan’s respect) and better displays/use of their powers.

Jean too would be less passive and more empowered. I like the idea of Professor X holding her back from using Cerebro but when she finally does use it, although it hurts immensely, she fights through the pain. When Cyclops opens the door to save her, she’s standing triumphant with the information they need.

And lastly, Sentinels. After the mutant chaos at the train station and fearing an incident at the upcoming UN Summit, the President enacts the Sentinel program (which would have been mentioned earlier in the film). After the X-Men destroy Magneto’s machine and save the world’s leaders, they’re still attacked by a squadron of five Sentinels—something akin to the 70s design used in DOFP—driving home that they’re fighting for a world that hates and fears them.

I probably would’ve been ok with Birds of Prey had they not had the scene with Black Mask having Zasz cut the faces off the mob guys family.

That was a bit too much for my sensibilities to take.
Plus it made Dinah irredeemable as she sat idly by in the car outside while it happened.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"