IGN names 10 best Comic Book Movie Villains of all time

Robin91939

Master Tim
Reaction score
http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/703/703005p1.html

I agree with some of them, but this is how I would have went about it.

10.) Kingpin (Daredevil)
kingpin.jpg

9.) Joker (BATMAN)
joker_nicholson5_1146011804.jpg

8.) Scarecrow (Batman Begins)
scarecrow.jpg

7.) Lex Luthor (Superman: The Movie, Superman II, and Superman IV: A Quest for Peace)
hackman-luthor2_1146011771.jpg

6.) Mystique (X-men, X2: X-men United, and X3: The Last Stand)
mystique-romijn2_1146010668.jpg

-R

5.) Green Goblin (Spider-man)
Green-Goblin.jpg

4.)General Zod (Superman: The Movie and Superman II)
general-zod1_1146011854.jpg

3.) Magneto (X-men, X2: X-men United, and X3: The Last Stand)
x3-magneto2_1146011519.jpg

2.) Doctor Octopus (Spider-man 2)
doc-ock-molina2_1146011734.jpg

1.) Ra's Al Ghul (Batman Begins)
neeson-ducard5_1146011484.jpg

-R

Your list is better than IGN's,except I don't think Mystique or Hackman's Luthor should be on that list.

For starters Mystique is hardly a dominating villainous force in the X-Men movies.She hardly speaks.You could count her lines on one hand.And half the time she's impersonating someone else.That hardly ranks her to great villain status IMO.

As for Hackman's Luthor,he was too campy for me.I couldn't take him seriously at all.Are we to believe that the "world's greatest criminal" would keep a bumbling idiot like Otis around as his right hand man??

this thread may just give me a heart attack...

*leaves before he spends 300 posts in here*

Doc Ock said:
As for Hackman's Luthor,he was too campy for me.I couldn't take him seriously at all.Are we to believe that the "world's greatest criminal" would keep a bumbling idiot like Otis around as his right hand man??
It's because of the time the film was made. Y'know, you were coming out of a time when superheroes (DC's at least) were just losing their camp, Donner - and in extention, Hackman - did quite a bit to remove the utter silliness of the comics Luthor at the time. For that, it's an admirable effort, IMO.

In any case, my list would probably go like this...

1. Doc Ock
2. The Joker
3. Magneto
4. Scarecrow
5. Ra's Al Ghul
6. Green Goblin
7. Catwoman
8. General Zod
9. Lex Luthor
10. Bullseye

I should note though, Scarecrow and/or Ra's would be higher if they had more screentime in their film.

Doc Ock said:
For starters Mystique is hardly a dominating villainous force in the X-Men movies.She hardly speaks.You could count her lines on one hand.

Well, so what? Darth Maul hardly speaks. Nosferatu never speaks.

1. Catwoman (Michelle Pfeiffer)
2. The Penguin (Danny DeVito)
3. David Banner (Nick Nolte)
4. Nomak (Luke Goss)
5. Doctor Octopus (Alfred Molina)
6. The Joker (Jack Nicholson)
7. The Riddler (Frank Gorshin)
8. Mystique (Rebecca Romjin)
9. Zod (Terrence Stamp)
10. Magneto (Ian McKellen)

catwoman can be placed in the vigilante category, she wasn't really a villain.

Everybody knows that the best comic book movie villain is this guy...
travolta1.jpg

Howard Saint!!!

:eek:

Odin's Lapdog said:
catwoman can be placed in the vigilante category, she wasn't really a villain.

Yes she is.

vil·lain ( P ) Pronunciation Key (vln)
n.
A dramatic or fictional character who is typically at odds with the hero.
(also vln, v-ln) Variant of villein.
Something said to be the cause of particular trouble or an evil

1. Doc Ock
2. Green Goblin
3. Magneto
4. Scarecrow
5. Ra's Al Ghul
6. William Stryker
7. Dr. Doom
8. Joker
9. Kingpin
10. Deacon Frost

I don't have a problem with that list, aside from the fact that I wouldn't have put Zod in the #1 slot.

Zod proves that the whole "Taking over the world" angle is stupid. Say you succeed; THEN WHAT?!?!?

Chris Wallace said:
1. Doc Ock
2. Green Goblin
3. Magneto
4. Scarecrow
5. Ra's Al Ghul
6. William Stryker
7. Dr. Doom
8. Joker
9. Kingpin
10. Deacon Frost

I like your list better
icon12.gif

Chris Wallace said:
Zod proves that the whole "Taking over the world" angle is stupid. Say you succeed; THEN WHAT?!?!?
Live comfortably? :confused:

Chris Wallace said:

Then everything and everyone is at your mercy,service and your disposal.

What villain wouldn't want that?? :)

A crappy one.

EDIT: And The Spectre. The Spectre doesn't want that.

Chris Wallace said:

:confused:

Then you rule the world, of course.

My list:
1. Joker: Owned the movie. He totally overwhelmed a very good Michael Keaton.
2. Zod: Loved how he had this disinterested, totally blaise attitude about taking over and ruling the world.
3. Lex Luthor: Campy yes, but still very formidable.
4. Magneto: He hasn't really been allowed to cut loose, but McKellan has the bearing, the majesty that captures Magneto almost perfectly.
5. Green Goblin: Doesn't get the credit he deserves, but he was a more dangerous, personal foe for Spidey than Ock.
6. Deacon Frost: Hip and arrogant. He matched up well with Blade, while making vampires cool again in the process.
7. Nomak: Loved the Reapers, and him. Nomak was an unstoppable force, and I loved the family drama thing too.
8. Ra's Al Ghul: A little too understated for my taste, but I still think overall Neeson pulled it off. I could definitely see him leading the League of Shadows, much more than the other guy.
9. Howard Saint: One of Travolta's best performances. Saint was a thoroughly believable villian, with a simple motivation.
10. Top Dollar: Put him on the list, because he, and his 'sister' Myca really creeped me out when I first saw this film.

Honorable Mentions:
I liked David Banner, Doc Ock, Mystique, Dr. Doom, Lady Deathstrike, Stryker, Scarecrow, and Kingpin, but particularly in the cases of Scarecrow and Kingpin, I didn't see enough of them to put them on a top ten list.

Mystique was pretty much the sexy muscle of Magneto in the X-Films. Stryker was somewhat run of the mill, but still well acted. David Banner was creepy. Dr. Doom was underplayed, but I know McMahon has a great Doom performance in him. Doc Ock is overrated in Spidey 2, but still a pretty good villian.

DarKush said:
5. Green Goblin: Doesn't get the credit he deserves, but he was a more personal foe for Spidey than Ock.

Well then they got it right didn't they.Doc Ock is not supposed to be a personal foe.He has no personal connections to Peter,like most of the Spidey villains.

Osborn makes it personal because he get's obsessed with Spider-Man.And the fact that Peter is friends with Osborn's son.

Stryker is my favorite villian, I wouldn't call him run of the mill at all. I found his whole genocide plot in the name of patriotism to be horrorfying.

Sandman138 said:
I found his whole genocide plot in the name of patriotism to be horrorfying.
I liked it better the first time.

When it was called The Holocaust.

CConn said:
I liked it better the first time.

When it was called The Holocaust.

Of course, but its easy to remove yourself from that, and while its also easy to remove yourself from a work of fiction you can't deny that it was also tied down to a lot of present day controversies.

Exactly. Which means, in short, if you don't believe in said controversies, it loses, most, if not all, of its power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"