A biopic about the 13th-century poet Jalaluddin al-Rumi?

Sevprince

Civilian
Reaction score
David Franzoni, who wrote the script for the 2000 blockbuster Gladiator, and Stephen Joel Brown, a producer on the Rumi film, said they wanted to challenge the stereotypical portrayal of Muslim characters in western cinema by charting the life of the great Sufi scholar.

Franzoni and Brown said they would like Leonardo DiCaprio to play Rumi, and Robert Downey Jr to star as Shams of Tabriz, though they said it was too early to begin casting. “This is the level of casting that we’re talking about,” said Brown, chief executive of Y Productions, who was also a producer on other hit films such as Se7en, The Fugitive and the Devil’s Advocate. The movie will be co-produced by Y Productions and Es Film.
tumblr_inline_o8duj1ZDrI1rctz6z_500.gif

Racist Hollywood is at it again.

I know the usual defenders are going to pull every tired old excuse in the book for this racist practice but my ears are deaf to you. This has gone too far. You don't freaking mess with Rumi, Hollywood. Please just leave him alone.

You don't "challenge Muslim stereotype" by casting white actors to tell their stories. :loco:

Leo and RDJ, ewww.

and it wont make as much money as this film lead by an indian actor
AmCQXY.jpg

Luckily, they're spitting out random names for the roles. But yes, I don't get it. This is the problem with Hollywood, and it'll get better in time when these producer types fade away.

In Hollywood, it's almost like DC, where politicians and movie producers live in a bubble.

You would think the latest whitewashing controversies with Exodus, Noah, abomination of Egypt, Ghosts, etc would make them more aware that this **** might not fly anymore especially when you come for someone like Rumi.

I had to re-read this because it's reads almost like an Onion article.

Yeah, it's why I was wondering if this was serious or not.

Doesn't sound like it will be as fun as Gods of Egypt though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blacktopolis24
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"